IceShadow’s pool thread 2022

Updates!

- No errors at all from my pump so far (knock on wood). Even the old error it was throwing and restarting seems to be resolved. Hopefully it stays that way. I’m no longer changing the skimmer sock and emptying the basket with the pump running. I’m using a small fish tank net to stop pine needles from getting below the skimmer basket and sock. Hopefully this stops pine needles from getting into the pump impeller at all.

- Robot cord still tangles like mad. No idea what to do there.

- Still plan to phosphate remove this weekend, so I’m ready for when I go out of town.

- Haven’t backwashed in a long while (skimmer socks mahbe?). Even with the 6-7 cups of DE in the sand filter. Light maybe looks clearer too?

4A4D0769-931F-46B0-9A74-1C517A03FC43.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude and kimkats
Ok. Time to phosphate remove.

Last WaterGuru Test result said 823ppb. Seems pretty in line with the Taylor test.

F2729385-262C-4E87-8BC6-D3A55C759E4F.jpeg

Got some some SeaKlear remover left from last year. It says 1oz/250ppb/10k gallons of water. So 2oz/250ppb/20k gallons. About 7oz total needed. Gonna backwash, then add.

So…I realized I haven’t backwashed in weeks, and added DE after backwashing last time. Since my filter pressure hasn’t gone up, I’m assuming the filter is pretty clean and just has the DE still. So I decided not to backwash first.

And here we go with the expected cloudiness :)

C9C3584C-4233-4B51-B1FC-74AC1D678076.jpeg

Now to let it mix and filter for two days, at which point I will backwash no matter the PSI. Pointed return eyeballs downward to help the mixing and filtering.

Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
I also ordered some boric acid and test strips for borates. My pH has been extremely stable. 7.6 or so all year, TA at about 60. Figure it’s as good a time as any time add them.

Is this a somewhat regular thing of yours or your first time ?
I did it last year too. Mostly just insurance before vacation, in case the people who offered to stop by and add LC while we’re gone almost two weeks find themselves unable to do so.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick check at 12 hours on my way into work: lots of stuff has settled on the bottom despite the pool pump still running at full speed. It must be where the water doesn’t get pushed around. Filter psi has gone from 14 (clean) to 15 (with DE) to 17.5. I’ll have to backwash it tonight and probably add DE again to be sure it gets anything else. Will also vacuum to waste the stuff at the bottom.

46796234-441E-415D-8E06-A90B1182F634.jpeg

Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Vacuumed up the phosphate snot to waste. Backwashed. Didn’t have time to add more DE. Interestingly the PSI didn’t go down when I backwashed. >.>

Your filter was working overtime that is for sure! Well done filter!
Maybe I didn’t backwash long enough the first time. I have a little transparent section of tube on the waste pipe but it’s yellowed with age and hard to see through.

Reactions: kimkats
PSI was up to 19 this morning. Another backwash, back to 14.5. More DE. Some more snot in the corners of the deep end. Will vacuum to waste again. Hose refilling pool.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.