How to add pressure gauge to PVC pipe?

Putting a tee in to add a gauge is the safest bet. Drilling and tapping a pipe for a gauge can be done. I would prefer it be on a schedule 80 pipe and an 1/8 npt. You could try this and if it fails you can cut the section out and put a tee in.

You can also drill and tap at a fitting (coupler, elbow). I've done that many times on commercial pools that require and effluent gauge. It give you enough wall thickness, with a properly install pipe, to thread in a gauge.

Get a 1/4" NPT (pipe) tap. They're available and not expensive. Home Depot has them for between $6 - $10. Some come with the 7/16" drill bit that you need. Don't try to use the gauge, it will, most likely, leak.

I ended up using a 1/4” thread from an old broken gauge as a tap. I cut some slots into it and tapered the end. It cut an ok thread into the PVC. The plastic is so soft that it worked alright.

It hasn’t leaked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.