How do i know if i'm generating Chlorine?

Chris, are you sure about the 8 hours at 60% to create 2.5ppm? According to the manual, the nano+ creates 20g of chlorine per hour, or 1.06 lb per day. That would require 13.5 hours at 60% to create 2.5 ppm.

But agree on the OCLT. FC shouldn't drop by more than 1 ppm over night with the SWG off.
Sorry, I think the pool volume setting went back to 10000 gal. Does that sometimes. Yes, 13.5 gives 2.6 ppm FC.

1592742992562.png

Reactions: mgtfp
You have to turn the chlorinator off at night to do the OCLT test. Too hard to guess on this. One of the basic tenants of TFP is we do not guess what to do. We test properly then take an action. This may sound a little rigid but it works. A proper OCLT test is very easy to do and well worth it to prevent algae issues...

I read through this thread a little and something isn't making sense with your swg. Is there a way to set it for manual operation? You can use Pool Math to estimate the settings for manual operation. I would switch to manual if you can. Pool Math indicates you need 8 hrs at 60% power to add 2.5 ppm. This would be a good starting point for this time of year in your location. Sunny hot days can consume up to 4 ppm. After you get lined out on manual you may want to try automatic mode again. I just don't know how they can reliably work without calibration of the FC measurement device.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris
Thanks Chris, sorry if my posts are all over the place and confusing. The SWCG has been off the entire slam process. So my testing has been 100% Accurate. All the talk about the SWCG was for when I turn it back on. Last night after the sun went down I added liquid chlorine to bring pool back to 20. 30 min later tested to confirm. This morning checked again along with CC which is 0. Pump has been running24hrs since Thur with SWCG off. Testing FC 4 times per day adding as needed per pool math. I feel I got the process down, and now I finally think I understand the SWCG and to PROPERLY set it up once I turn it back on.

OCLT this morning was 2ppm
CC=0
Pool is crystal clear

I was thinking of setting the SWCG at 70% and the pump runs for 10 hrs.

since I am new at this please tell me how you figured this out in pool math “Pool Math indicates you need 8 hrs at 60% power to add 2.5 ppm.”.

In order to estimate the SWG settings:
  • open Pool Math
  • go to the top left menu bars button and select "effects of adding".
  • make sure the volume of your pool at the top is correct.
  • scroll the selector to SWG.
  • go down to click the magnifier which opens up a list of SWG units. Select yours.
  • select to calculate "free chlorine generated"
  • put in your % power and run-time
  • see FC generated below

I hope this helps.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: DanF
Just to provide another data point so you can verify you are using the tool correctly here's what you should get for the 70% 10 hours

I hope this helps.

Chris

1592752254317.png

Reactions: dconnest
In order to estimate the SWG settings:
  • open Pool Math
  • go to the top left menu bars button and select "effects of adding".
  • make sure the volume of your pool at the top is correct.
  • scroll the selector to SWG.
  • go down to click the magnifier which opens up a list of SWG units. Select yours.
  • select to calculate "free chlorine generated"
  • put in your % power and run-time
  • see FC generated below

I hope this helps.

Chris
Oh man that is cool. Didn’t see that

for my system to add 2.0ppm I need to either
Run 10 hours at 65%
Or
12 hours at 52%

as a starting point.
Thanks for teaching me something new.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Man i'm learning a lot on this thread, and I don't even have an SWG!
@dconnest I think you should leave the SWG off, since you are still losing 2 ppm overnight, unless I'm missing something. You've made great progress so far!

@dconnest I think you should leave the SWG off, since you are still losing 2 ppm overnight, unless I'm missing something.

That's a good point. There seems to be some confusion in multiple threads I have been reading, whether the SWG should run during a SLAM to support maintaining shock level (not to get get there in the first place), or not. I started replying with a list of the pros and cons, but then realised that this would go too far off topic from the OP, and started a new thread in the deep end:

Cheers,
mgtfp

Last edited:
So as things begin to get back to normal i have a final question regarding CYA.
test kit says 60-80
pool store says 50-100
SWCG manual says 30-50

so what is the best recommendation?

the SLAM process is done, FC has been going down. this morning it was at 8.5. i plugged the SWCG back in and set it at 70% with a 10 hour run time. i'm going to check the chlorine level daily since it's hot and we plan on using it now that the SLAM is done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.