Here we go! Weeks away from excavation, how are we doing?

DSNOOK

Jul 1, 2020
Carlsbad, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Long time lurker, first time poster. Excited to have to so many experts here at TFP to help relax my mind, or have us course correct early. TFP has been the single best source of information for someone in my shoes. It's brought me from newbie to well informed, but I have so much more to learn from you all. We are weeks away from breaking ground, sooner if the excavators have an earlier opening.

About us: family of five with the eldest at 11 years old. Want an all around functional pool for the family. The spa will be used year round, but I suspect the pool will be heavily used from April through October (solar heating is getting spec'd). My wife is an architect and designer, but doesn't do pools, yet. She's designed the layout and is picking the finishes. My PB will do most of the work, but I'll pickup drainage, patio cover and other extraneous items. My landscapers are helping fill in the rest. I will hire for pool maintenance, at least early on as I am really busy these days.

Here's our current setup as was bid by our PB after some back and forth on some detailed items. Let me know what you think:

General Pool/Spa
Pool Size30.4’x14.7’ (91 perimeter) - 375 sq. ft.
StyleGeometric with Baja ShelfSee layout pics attached
CapacityUnknownNeed to do the math or ask PB
Depth3.5' - 6'
Water Features
  • 4' Sheer Descent Plastic Sheet Curtain (includes plumbed actuator valve)
  • Pool Slide Rouge2 Includes shipping, tax, flange kit, waterline, and installation
  • Umbrella sleeve
  • Basketball setup
Spa Size8’x10’ (water) - 80 sq. ft.Inner dimension (water only)
Spa Depth3.5'
Spa Jets6 Std, 6 therapy jets Placed at Cust. Dir.includes 6 therapy jets in the spa - Waterway Poly Storm Jets
FinishPlaster, possibly darkerDon't like the rough feeling of pebble. PB says his plaster guys stopped doing quartz. We are ok with some mottling with the darker color.
DeckingPoured in Place Cantilever Coping Color with Topcast Finish
TileTBD

Equipment
Pumps
  • Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Variable Flo (Circulation and Water Feature Use Same Pump)
  • Pentair 3 HP Whisperflow Spa Jet Pump
Added extra pump for spa therapy jets
HeaterPentair MasterTemp 400K BTU Nat Gas
FilterPentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft.
ControllersPentair Easy Touch 8 Function with Screen Logic Interface OR Wireless Remote
ChlorinatorsPentair IC40 Intellichlor Salt System with Power Center
SkimmerOne skimmer
LightsPentair Microbrite or GloBrite LED Color Changing Qty-3 (2 pool, 1 spa)Includes transformer.
Pool VacuumRemoved from bid so I can purchase Dolphin or equivalentWill still plumb for standard suction-side vacuum.
SolarHeliocol HC-50 ~350 sq. ft.Owner installed
Water FillManual Water Fill Line IncludedPB does not recommend the use of auto fill devices
CoverNone on pool. Looking for custom spa cover similar to above ground setup to maintain tempWife detests the bubble covers :(, so we'll have to deal with PH and heat loss
2020_1120_SnookPoolPlan_CloseUp.jpg
Pool-build.png

Thank you in advance!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Looks like a good plan. Be careful on the shallow depth. Make sure that 3.5' is water depth. 4' might be better.
Consider the Intellicenter. ET + Screenlogic is old tech.
NO Globrites. Microbrites are OK. Globrites use proprietary niche and last about 3 years. At $300 a piece, expensive.
Set up an actuated valve that you can control via your automation for the fill line if it will not be an autofill. I could not leave our house for more than a day in summer without an autofill.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks for the quick reply and great feedback. I've noted the equipment changes and will confer w/ my PB.

For the water depth, I assume you mean, ensure that the spec is 3.5' from water line to bottom, not from pool deck to bottom, right? If so, I agree and actually will likely move it to 4' from water line to bottom. We aren't tall people, but 4' feels about right.

I will definitely go deep into TFP water chem info, starting w/ the ABCs. I was maintaining an older above ground Jacuzzi and it was a bear to get things just right, even with frequent trips to the local pools store. By the time I got thing dialed in we were removing the Jacuzzi in prep for the big dig. I'm a big DIYer and can easily see myself go into the deep end on water chem and equipment maintenance once the build settles down.

Reactions: mknauss
For the water depth, I assume you mean, ensure that the spec is 3.5' from water line to bottom, not from pool deck to bottom, right? If so, I agree and actually will likely move it to 4' from water line to bottom. We aren't tall people, but 4' feels about right.
You got it. Most of the time the depth is the depth of the actual water, but some PB use the measurement to the top of the coping which usually ends up with a frustrated homeowner.

If you are a DIY type person, TFP is for you. Post away on your build questions and when the time comes, we will steer you in the right direction on test kits. Most of us never step foot in a pool store, know exactly what needs to go in our pools, and never had a speck of algae.

That is a very neat looking design!

Where is the house in relation to the pool?

Skimmer-make sure the open is facing the pool part NOT the steps. People will on the steps and might block the skimmer opening.

Depth-I would for sure go for the 4'. Take a tape measure and see where it hits the shortest adult in the house.

I would love to see a pic of where this wonderful pool is going!

Kim:kim:

-I will echo the recommendation to go with 4' in the shallow end.

-Consider upgrading to a CCP520 Filter.

-I would go with IntelliCenter, so you're not buying an older generation automation system.

-Go with 2 skimmers.

-You'll want more MicroBrite lights. I would add at least one more to your pool. You'll want to install them so they face away from the house or main sitting area.

-Consider adding a fill line controlled by a sprinkler valve and your irrigation system controller (it would be a zone).

Good luck with the build!

That is a very neat looking design!

Where is the house in relation to the pool?

Skimmer-make sure the open is facing the pool part NOT the steps. People will on the steps and might block the skimmer opening.

Depth-I would for sure go for the 4'. Take a tape measure and see where it hits the shortest adult in the house.

I would love to see a pic of where this wonderful pool is going!

Kim:kim:

Now all the legends are here! :) Now that Kim is here who else are we missing?

So, in the CAD drawing, the house is the dark line more to the right of the drawing. We have a pie shaped lot so rectangular shaped pool is out of the question. My designer (er wife) did a great job of maximizing the lot space and the existing hard scape.

Good call on the depth and skimmer, I’ll confirm.

I attached a rough satellite pic of the location in relation to the house. The house has since been remodeled, but the outline is roughly the same. We also don’t have renderings. I’m wondering if we should pay to have them done. My wife doesn’t need them (architects have a knack for working in 2D), but I would love to get the birds eye view of how things may turn out.

Stay tuned for plaster and tile questions! I know that’s your speciality.

PNG image.png

DS,

No matter which Pentair automation you get, make sure you get the package deal, that includes the automation, a built-in SWCG power supply, and IntelliChlor cell, plus valve actuators..

An example...

Keep in mind that if you go with the EasyTouch, you will need ScreenLogic..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Roger that. My PB just replied and said we can definitely get the
-I will echo the recommendation to go with 4' in the shallow end.

-Consider upgrading to a CCP520 Filter.

-I would go with IntelliCenter, so you're not buying an older generation automation system.

-Go with 2 skimmers.

-You'll want more MicroBrite lights. I would add at least one more to your pool. You'll want to install them so they face away from the house or main sitting area.

-Consider adding a fill line controlled by a sprinkler valve and your irrigation system controller (it would be a zone).

Good luck with the build!

Assuming the CCP520 is just bigger? Will that help w/ cleaning and flow rate? What is the key benefit of going bigger?

PB just replied and we are good for Intellicenter for a small up charge. I’m asking if we can add the fill line to the automation as well.

I’ve read here that 2 skimmers are the way to go. We have some space and deck issues to deal with, but I will ask about 2 skimmers as I’ve heard that’s the way to go. Our pool is smaller, but I would love the comfort of knowing wherever the wind blows we’ll have a skimmer.

DS,

No matter which Pentair automation you get, make sure you get the package deal, that includes the automation, a built-in SWCG power supply, and IntelliChlor cell, plus valve actuators..

An example...

Keep in mind that if you go with the EasyTouch, you will need ScreenLogic..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Oooh good info! I’ll inquire with my PB. He did say we’ll get an extended warranty with all Pentair equipment. He connected me with his Pentair rep and this was her reply:

“When your purchase/install of this equipment set occurs we offer a 3 yr bundled warranty that includes parts and labor on manufacture defects. We consider the warranty start date to be the time of plaster and pool fill. Copy of contract or a simplified document from you listing the equipment and statement that these items”

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is going to fit in just right from the looks of things!

How many trees are coming down?

Great question - looks like a jungle from those pictures! Most have come down. Here’s an updated satellite view. The pool will be where the green grass is plus it will encroach towards the concrete patio. In the satellite pic there is a gray Jacuzzi sitting roughly where the new in ground spa will be.

Thinking a rendering would really help get a feel for this project.

Attachments

• Arial-Ann-drive.png
    Arial-Ann-drive.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
Assuming the CCP520 is just bigger? Will that help w/ cleaning and flow rate? What is the key benefit of going bigger?

Yes, it's bigger, which means you clean it less often and get slightly better efficiency for negligible cost.

Just taking a picture from the house then from the other sides showing the yard and house will work to help us/me see what you are working with. Mrs. could just draw on this last pic as well.

Good idea. Not the greatest photos, but will give you an idea of the area we are working with. The pool will go where the grass is and the entry steps will be where the rightmost 2 pads of concrete are next to the grass. The spa will go roughly where the soccer net and edge of the gravel area. the back corner, near the fire pit, will be a raised deck, jumping ledge with a retro style slide (Rogue2 from SR Smith). We are going for a dock/lake kind of vibe.

We'll landscape with new grass to the far right in the 1st picture (or where the red wagon is in the 2nd picture) and we'll put a patio cover over the BBQ island in the left of the 1st picture.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you all think.

IMG_2197.jpeg
IMG_2195.jpeg

Reactions: Autie
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.