Help choosing SWG

I think I’m leaning toward the aqr 15 from Hayward. Anybody knows if it’s true that they don’t honor the warranty if you install it your self.
I did all the electrical wiring for my pool and feel comfortable doing it myself. Would suck to get the warranty void .
I looked at the AQR manual and did not see any disclaimer that lessens the warranty period if the owner self installs. Pentair cuts the warranty time for a self install.

Reactions: Diego168
I’m using the Taylor test kit, same as you. I was at 4000 and just not getting chlorine production and not seeing any bubbles in the salt cell. I added one bag of salt last night, which brings my level up an additional 200ppm. I stirred it around and let the pump run all night without the SWG running. This morning, I turned on th SWG and it’s now producing chlorine. I had some notes from last year when I spoke with a tech at Circupool. He told me to keep the salt between 4000-4500.
There's defiantly something brewing here because 4500 is a bit high by most standards. Are you sure the cell is clean and as per pool math with SWG how are the numbers including your CSI.

There's defiantly something brewing here because 4500 is a bit high by most standards. Are you sure the cell is clean and as per pool math with SWG how are the numbers including your CSI.
Currently, my FC is high because I added liquid chlorine last night.

FC 7
Ph 7.6
Alk 90
Ch 130
CYA 70
Salt should be at 4200-(haven’t checked yet since I just added last night)
CSI -0.1

Pool passes OCLT and water is crystal clear. Pic of salt cell is attached.

Attachments

• BB719348-C94C-4006-8841-D5FDB0A0587F.png
    BB719348-C94C-4006-8841-D5FDB0A0587F.png
    347.9 KB · Views: 17
The operating range and ideal level of salt varies between SWG models often even with a common manufacturer. Circupool's chart shows the SJs wanting 3500+ and the RJs showing a range of 2800-4500. My understanding is the middle of a given range is the best place to operate. I bought and installed a RJ30 in February. Early on I ran it with a salinity of about 3400-3600 although it's been as high as 4000 (measured with Taylor kit). The SWG read-out tends to show salinity 200-400 less than actual salinity and I think that's what counts relative to if the unit will run or show a low salt condition. The summer rains have diluted the water and at times the salinity as shown on the SWG has dropped to about 2900. I have yet to see a low salt warning and the SWG seems to have run fine over the range it's seen. I've added about 60# of salt over the last month or so to keep the salinity above 2900 as measured by the SWG. I have noticed that the drive current is higher at the higher salt concentrations so I suspect the output is also higher then. I prefer running on the low end of salinity so the taste isn't as obvious and I'm thinking the lower drive current may cause less long-term damage to the cell and/or electronics. Time will tell. I bought the RJ over the SJ partly because it required less salinity.

The operating range and ideal level of salt varies between SWG models often even with a common manufacturer. Circupool's chart shows the SJs wanting 3500+ and the RJs showing a range of 2800-4500. My understanding is the middle of a given range is the best place to operate. I bought and installed a RJ30 in February. Early on I ran it with a salinity of about 3400-3600 although it's been as high as 4000 (measured with Taylor kit). The SWG read-out tends to show salinity 200-400 less than actual salinity and I think that's what counts relative to if the unit will run or show a low salt condition. The summer rains have diluted the water and at times the salinity as shown on the SWG has dropped to about 2900. I have yet to see a low salt warning and the SWG seems to have run fine over the range it's seen. I've added about 60# of salt over the last month or so to keep the salinity above 2900 as measured by the SWG. I have noticed that the drive current is higher at the higher salt concentrations so I suspect the output is also higher then. I prefer running on the low end of salinity so the taste isn't as obvious and I'm thinking the lower drive current may cause less long-term damage to the cell and/or electronics. Time will tell. I bought the RJ over the SJ partly because it required less salinity.
I wish I would have bought the RJ for that very same reason. We were leery of changing to salt because of potential damage to equipment and our concrete pool deck. Now I have the SJ that doesn’t produce unless I’m at 4200! The water is definitely salty and worried about damage from salt that high.

I wish I would have bought the RJ for that very same reason. We were leery of changing to salt because of potential damage to equipment and our concrete pool deck. Now I have the SJ that doesn’t produce unless I’m at 4200! The water is definitely salty and worried about damage from salt that high.
based on data from manufacturers you would be able to run lower salinity with hayward. 2800-3500. I saw a video on you tube where they say newer Swg may function at lower salt concentration (1500) which is better for equipment etc.. don’t know if that’s true but that’s why I was wondering about the difference between Hayward and CircuPool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
based on data from manufacturers you would be able to run lower salinity with hayward. 2800-3500. I saw a video on you tube where they say newer Swg may function at lower salt concentration (1500) which is better for equipment etc.. don’t know if that’s true but that’s why I was wondering about the difference between Hayward and CircuPool.
Hayward makes a low salt system but it is only available in Canada. Here is a link to a discussion: Hayward Low Salt

Reactions: Diego168
Yeah only problem for me with aquarite is the warranty only 60 days of you install it your self. I was told by a retailer. I know people say they installed it everything work great and im
Confident I can install it however defects among the best manufacturers can happen.
Also when looking at the owners manual I didn’t see anything under the warranty saying that if you DIY it then you only get 60 days warranty. So who knows

Yeah only problem for me with aquarite is the warranty only 60 days of you install it your self. I was told by a retailer. I know people say they installed it everything work great and im
Confident I can install it however defects among the best manufacturers can happen.
Also when looking at the owners manual I didn’t see anything under the warranty saying that if you DIY it then you only get 60 days warranty. So who knows
If you think the aquarite would serve your needs it would be worth a call to Hayward Pool Products for a definitive answer. The retailer may or may not be correct.

I called Hayward and they said that if you install your self you would still get a 3 year warranty.
So now i need to decide either rj45 $879. Or aqr15 for 970 of eBay or pools unlimited 940.
Replacement cells are similar price.

You only get new Pentair electronics if you order the full kit. I just replaced only my cell this year because everything else was still working.

Doesn’t the Pentair cell come with some of the electronics ???
Correct. A replacement cell has all controls in it. The power center is not replaced.

The Pentair IC cells are more expensive to replace. So there is a minus to having the controls integrated into the cell.

Correct. A replacement cell has all controls in it. The power center is not replaced.

The Pentair IC cells are more expensive to replace. So there is a minus to having the controls integrated into the cell.
Yes that’s what I mean. That’s something I like about this system. And the cell is maybe 100-200 more that other systems.
You have this system correct ? Do you know if the cell can be mounted vertical?
How long does your cells usually last you?
I’ve seen a lot of post from you. Which system do you see that gives less problems ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.