Help choosing SWG

The only way to get the SWG in there is a vertical install. That means you also have to calculate 4 90° bends which causes head on the pump and some kind of reduced flow, but not sure how that gets figured.

The only way to get the SWG in there is a vertical install. That means you also have to calculate 4 90° bends which causes head on the pump and some kind of reduced flow, but not sure how that gets figured.
I see if the flow decreases would it decaerse the ability of the swg to work properly ?
When is it that you need to install a bypass that’s when pump has too much flow ???? Can that happen with single stage pumps ????

Your single speed pump will provide sufficient flow to close the flow switch. I would be more concerned with the flow rate through the heater all the time. I suspect that the internal bypass on the heater is open most of the time.

Are you going to get this professionally installed? If not, there are better SWCG's to install for warranty purposes than the Pentair.

Can you fill out your signature please?

Your single speed pump will provide sufficient flow to close the flow switch. I would be more concerned with the flow rate through the heater all the time. I suspect that the internal bypass on the heater is open most of the time.

Are you going to get this professionally installed? If not, there are better SWCG's to install for warranty purposes than the Pentair.

Yes that how the pool installer did it. They installed the fiber glass pool and pluming and I did the electrical. Why is that a problem through the heater always ?
Yes I wanted to install the swg it’s not hard, I just want to install something that is proven reliable. Hayward and Pentair seems
Best. I know CircuPool has 7 year warranty but that’s prorated.
I wanted Hayward but when you search forum there seems some people have issues with it. I like that with Pentair you are replacing electronic with each cell.

Last edited:

Is the heater by pass a must? I don’t know why they didn’t install it. My set up is just one loop out the pool pump filter heater and back to pump no check valves

The heater has an internal bypass when the flow is too strong.

What is your current filter pressure with pump running?

Hayward has a warranty for DIY install. Be aware of that.

The heater has an internal bypass when the flow is too strong.

What is your current filter pressure with pump running?

Hayward has a warranty for DIY install. Be aware of that.
Yeah I talked to Hayward they said warranty would be the same if I install. Just than in my readings on this forum I came a cross people that had problems from the electrical control of the aquarite system. Pentair you get a new control with every cell. Warranty is only a year of install by professional,
Why do you have Pentair and not CircuPool ???

My pool was built with Pentair equipment. When installed with 3 items, you get a 3 year warranty. Had warranty claims for a light and the flow switch.

Your filter pressure is pretty low. What filter do you have? Please add that to your signature. Also HP of the motor on your pump.

My pool was built with Pentair equipment. When installed with 3 items, you get a 3 year warranty. Had warranty claims for a light and the flow switch.

Your filter pressure is pretty low. What filter do you have? Please add that to your signature. Also HP of the motor on your pump.

I’ll add it. Pump has 3/4hp and filter is Pentair system 2 modular media plm 100-150

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Diego,

Sorry for the late entry on this. I have Jandy equipment and added SWG a few months ago with self-install. I was sad to discover Jandy has the worst warranty for self-install. So I did a thorough search and looked at $/LB Chlorine, warranty, reputation/reviews. Circupool won . I've been thrilled with every aspect so far. I do give up full control via iAqualink but I just set the % power manually and just tweak FC with run time using the automation app on my phone. As the cell degrades over the years I'll have to adjust % power manually. Jandy states very clearly in their catalog there is no warranty for self install or internet purchases. I think Pentair has a limited warranty for self install but it's much better than Jandy.

Whichever way you go, make sure you measure salt level before calculating the addition. I was amazed at the salt content from just liquid chlorine treatment for 5 years. Also add the salt in the shallow end... makes it easier to mix. I paid a little extra for Morton Pool Salt. Almost no mixing required.

Install was eassy peasy. Circupool sells a vertical install kit that might be worth the extra $. Also I got a great deal on the maintenance kit that has a blank spool to put in line when you clean the cell. The blank also came in very handy for the PVC fit up since it's way lighter than the SWG and doesn't have the wire to deal with.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I just purchased the CIrcupool RJ60 plus and will install this weekend. I'm not planning on putting in a check valve but maybe I should for when I need to replace the salt cell...? I try to think ahead to avoid "ah crud" issues.

My warranty is for 7 years (10,000-15,000 run time hours) or something close to that. Not voided if I install which was a selling point.

I just purchased the CIrcupool RJ60 plus and will install this weekend. I'm not planning on putting in a check valve but maybe I should for when I need to replace the salt cell...? I try to think ahead to avoid "ah crud" issues.

My warranty is for 7 years (10,000-15,000 run time hours) or something close to that. Not voided if I install which was a selling point.

Tracy,

Welcome back and congrats on your SWG! Not sure a check valve will help much but a full bore quarter turn ball valve would allow you to remove the cell without having to plug the line to keep water from draining if you don't already have a valve in the system that can accomplish this. Here are a couple of learnings I had when I recently converted:
  • Check your pool water for salt before you calculate how much to add. You may be surprised at the salt level in pool water you've never added salt to.
  • I put the salt in well before I installed the cell... just to be sure my wife and I both liked it. We did and just chlorinated with liquid chlorine until the cell was installed.
  • Consider buying the maintenance kit, especially if it's on sale. It includes a blank spool piece that makes the PVC work much easier.
  • Install all fittings with soapy water first. When every fitting is square and true, mark the edges with a pencil mark and a mark perpendicular to the edge so you can glue to match both lines. This results in a much better alignment. A small change from true gets "multiplied" with the next fitting and can cause stressed fittings prone to failure. Even with the soapy water fittings are still a little hard to remove and reinstall with glue but it's well worth the effort.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Chris

As per circupool instructions it's not recommended to put a valve on the output side before the cell. The rationale is if you forget to open it when your finished with the cell maintenance it can put high pressure on the plumbing downstream of the valve such a your heater core and bust it from high pressure. Rather lose some water and be on the safe side.

Reactions: Tracey R
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.