Help choosing SWG

I do have an IC40. It can be mounted vertical. You must mount it so that the flow switch is on bottom, so water direction is up.

I have had the SWCG operating since March 2015. It shuts down for about 8 weeks each winter. I replaced a flow switch in the spring of 2017.
I do not know how long this cell will last. It is very oversized so it will be an electronic fault that kills it.

Most SWCG's work great as long as you know how to use them and manage your pool water chemistry. So it depends on your needs. If you have automation, you need to use the brand tied to that automation. If standalone, and especially if you are installing DIY, use a manufacturer that provides a warranty with those conditions. Pentair and Jandy do not.

In your climate, remove the SWCG over winter and keep in a climate controlled environment.

Reactions: Diego168
Diego,

The cell can be mounted vertically as long as the water is flowing up through the cell...

I have three IC40s ... One is about 8 years old, one about 6 years old and the one at my house is 2.5 years old.. The original one was replaced under warranty when it was almost 3 years old after we took a lightning hit.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes that’s what I mean. That’s something I like about this system. And the cell is maybe 100-200 more that other systems.
You have this system correct ? Do you know if the cell can be mounted vertical?
How long does your cells usually last you?
I’ve seen a lot of post from you. Which system do you see that gives less problems ?
I was reading installation manual it says to install ic40 at least 3 feet from heater outlet did you guys do it like that???

I was reading installation manual it says to install ic40 at least 3 feet from heater outlet did you guys do it like that???
No. That is a carryover from trichlor dispensing systems.

You should have close to 12 inches of straight pipe before the flow switch. Though many do not and have no issues.

I have to run at about 1500 rpm to close the flow switch. That is because of the heater. Many can run 1200 rpm or less without a heater.

No. That is a carryover from trichlor dispensing systems.

You should have close to 12 inches of straight pipe before the flow switch. Though many do not and have no issues.

I have to run at about 1500 rpm to close the flow switch. That is because of the heater. Many can run 1200 rpm or less without a heater.

I was wondering because this is how much space I have right out of the heater. I thought of doing it vertical but since ic40 comes with the flow switch inside, other systems are longer because FS comes separate. Which way should I install vertical or horizontal if it fits.

Attachments

• 0A796080-5FA1-4A26-9F35-C978F0EB0166.jpeg
    0A796080-5FA1-4A26-9F35-C978F0EB0166.jpeg
    588 KB · Views: 28
You should disconnect the trichlor feeder Now. It is destroying your heater.

Does not appear you have enough room to install SWCG horizontal. So you need to go vertical.

You should disconnect the trichlor feeder Now. It is destroying your heater.

Does not appear you have enough room to install SWCG horizontal. So you need to go vertical.
Yes agree. It’s a new pool I’m learning from all of you on this forum. I don’t know why they installed it like that and no check valve.
Do I need a check valve to protect the heater if i install the salt cell vertical ?

I have a 90 degree elbow with the heat pump on the feed side and the IC60 on the return side. The flow switch works at the lowest my pump runs at 1100 rpm. Not sure if it’s the 3HP that does it or the 2.5 inch pipes. Or both ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 90 degree elbow with the heat pump on the feed side and the IC60 on the return side. The flow switch works at the lowest my pump runs at 1100 rpm. Not sure if it’s the 3HP that does it or the 2.5 inch pipes. Or both ?
Just to clarify- you mean you have a 90 degree right after the heater outlet and right after the IC cell attached to it?

why does it say to be 3’ from heater I’m confused Can some one clarify this “see picture”
That is a carry over from the thought that 'chlorine' is corrosive, which it is, when it comes from a Trichlor feeder do to the acidic nature of trichlor. A SWCG does not contain enough chlorine concentration (ppm) at shut down to matter to the heater if there is backflow.

Just to clarify- you mean you have a 90 degree right after the heater outlet and right after the IC cell attached to it?

Yes. A 90 degree elbow with the heater on one end and the SWG on the other. There’s probably 100 reasons why it might not work for you but also proof it may work for you if need be.

It might not work for everyone. Depends on the flow rate with your pump and plumbing and if your heater reduces you flow even more. If you have great flow, it will work

It might not work for everyone. Depends on the flow rate with your pump and plumbing and if your heater reduces you flow even more. If you have great flow, it will work
I see thank you, i need to look at that i think my pump it’s a single stage. I mean not variable speed, there is no way to adjust the pump flow I’m guessing. How can I find out ? Should it be on the pump tags??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.