Oct 23, 2018
Fargo, ND
Hello Fellow TFP Members!

I recently upgraded my pool set up with the following:

• IntelliFlo VSF (3HP)
  • MasterTemp 400k NG Heater
  • IC40 SWG
  • BioShield UV
So far I love it compared to my past equipment. Just setting the flow level on the pump, a heater that can raise the temp of the pool 2 - 4 degrees an hour, etc is crazy nice. I didn't want to start off with automation. I wanted to see how things are going with the new equipment, how well I could control things with just the pump schedule.... basically see how much work it will be without automation.

So now the question. Is there any suggestions on how I can turn off the heater (primary desire/concern), SWG, and BioShield before my pool pump shuts down so I can allow things to cool off for a bit. AKA... if my IntelliFlo is shutting down at 3:00pm... it would be great to have the MasterTemp stop heating at 2:45 so I don't make the equipment work harder then it needs to. I know I could go full automation but would like to see if there is an option where I could up my game one notch.

Excited to hear the ideas!

J,

You could just buy a standard timer and have it control the heater via the firemans switch.. That is how most automation systems control the heater anyway. Set the timer to shut off 15 minutes before the pump is scheduled to turn off.

It won't matter if the UV system is running or not, you will never be able to tell the difference one way or the other.. You should use our search box and see what we think about residential pool UV systems. :)

As far as the SWCG goes, it should already be wired thought a timer to prevent the IC40 from getting any power when the pump is off. A SWCG should have Primary and Secondary safety devices to prevent the cell from exploding. The Primary safety device is removing the power to the cell when the pump is not running.. The seconday safety device is the flow switch which is a back up device to prevent the cell from generating chlorine when there is not enough water flow. Some installers just use the flow switch, which works most of the time, but what happens when it does not work for some reason??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim:

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of picking up and external timer, although it would be nice to just use the timer on the pump. That being said, I could hook it up to a separate timer without issue.

Regarding the UV, I did a lot of research on TFP before I picked it up. Actually I did a lot of research on TFP for all my stuff and posted to get feedback on what I was thinking of getting. :) The only reason I decided to get it was the fact that my pool is indoor. It was not that much and I had something to burn off the CC’s since I don’t have the sun to do that for me.

Look forward to any other ideas or options. If there is not anything I will most likely pick up a standard timer.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

So sorry... I completely missed that you have an indoor pool... ?

You can't use the pump's timer for anything.. That would be a great option to have, but it is just not the case here.

Thanks,

Jim R.

A quick update to my TFP friends.

There is really two options I'm looking at.

1. A standard pool (intermatic) timer
2. The Pentair IntelliConnect (Review thread in TFP)

Right now I'm leaning toward the IntelliConnect. I was able to find an IntelliConnect for less than $250 to my doorstep w/ thermostat. I think that does a better job of ensuring the SWG doesn't go without the pump and I get WiFi connectivity as a bonus. Since I have a very simple set up I'm not worried about being short of what I think it should do (aka... wanting or needing to bump up to a EasyTouch 4) anytime soon. I will report back on where I go and how it turns out.

Jeremy

A quick update to my TFP friends.

There is really two options I'm looking at.

1. A standard pool (intermatic) timer
2. The Pentair IntelliConnect (Review thread in TFP)

Right now I'm leaning toward the IntelliConnect. I was able to find an IntelliConnect for less than $250 to my doorstep w/ thermostat. I think that does a better job of ensuring the SWG doesn't go without the pump and I get WiFi connectivity as a bonus. Since I have a very simple set up I'm not worried about being short of what I think it should do (aka... wanting or needing to bump up to a EasyTouch 4) anytime soon. I will report back on where I go and how it turns out.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

For your setup I believe you will be happy with the Intelliconnect. You got an awesome price!

Not sure if you saw, but the Intelliconnect can also control a heater. Not sure what the Uv requires, but perhaps one of the relays can control that too!

Keep us posted on how it turns out!

My pool builder installed the Intelliconnect as part of the deal. In fact, he was not even aware that it could control the Intelliflo VSF pump, and his subcontractor just threw away (or more likely put into inventory) the included RS485 cable. Pentair came through, though, and I got it connected and programmed myself. With the Link2O app (which unlike most apps also is available as a web page on the computer), you can set up four programs for the pump. There are also two programmable relay connections. Mine were set to run the Whisperflo water feature pump and noisy booster pump for the now-retired pressure side cleaner. Intelliconnect is supposed to be also to turn on the heater and also control either of their salt chlorine systems, although I've not investigated that fully. I'm waiting for my overall pool "warranty" to expire, as my pool builder doesn't believe in salt generated chlorine.

The Intelliconnect/Link2O combo is very reliable and allows enabling "freeze protect" to automatically run your pump(s) when the temp is below a specified setting--not pertinent to your indoor pool. A side benefit is that Pentair tech support can "look" at your settings if you have a problem. Since my PB was so ignorant of what he was installing, Pentair was a big help in getting it fully configured. The one drawback is that you can only program RPM for the variable speed/variable flow pump. If you want to set a flow rate, you have to use the panel on the pump--and that's enough trouble that I don't bother, although I've looked at it to see what flow rate I was getting at a particular RPM. Of course there is not a strict correlation between RPM and flow rate, as plumbing, filter cleanliness, and other restrictions can affect the flow rate. One more thing. Pentair sends out a time sync at 11am and 7pm central time to the Intelliconnect, which in turn sends it to the Intelliflo pump. That causes the pump to restart. Of course, if you're not at the pump when it happens, you probably wouldn't know.

Incidentally, the UV provided for pools and water treatment is UVC. That wavelength does not penetrate the atmosphere as UVA and UVB do, so you can't get it from the sun...but UVC is the wavelength used for disinfection in hospitals and home disinfection appliances. It is equally valuable indoors or out. I still run normal chlorine levels, but I use ozone and UV in addition. Chlorine will not kill cryptosporidium. 95% of UVA reaches the ground causing suntan, sunburn and destruction of plastic. Only 5% of UVB reaches the ground but enough to damage DNA and cause skin cancer. UVC is totally absorbed by the ozone layer of the stratosphere, so if someone tells you "you can get all the UV you want from the sun," that's not really true. You get all the UV you don't want from the sun. You also wouldn't want to be exposed to UVC, as it is the most dangerous part of the UV spectrum and would be a greater skin cancer risk than UVB if not contained.

Thanks for the additional feedback! I'm pretty excited to see how it works out. The fun part of DIY is seeing if all the crazy ideas work out.

I was thinking I would use one of the relays for the UV light. In the future, I was thinking of getting an Intellibrite 5g color LED pool light which I could use the second relay for. From reading the manual, it seems like the IntelliConnect could control the various different colors/schenes from one of the relays as well. I don't know that I have a medium turn plan to add anything else so really I'm covered.

Good tip about the restart @BowserB. My current schedule avoids 11am but I might do some adjustment to avoid 7pm just in case.

I will be sure to post my results and any road bumps along the way. Once I clean things up a little - I'm going to need to post some before/after pics. The set up is not perfect, but 10x better than before. I have saved an amazing amount of money as a DIYer with TFP in my back pocket for my missing experience! Time to up my TFP support (already a recurring iOS PoolMath supporter)!

Reactions: MyAZPool
I will be sure to post my results and any road bumps along the way. Once I clean things up a little - I'm going to need to post some before/after pics. The set up is not perfect, but 10x better than before. I have saved an amazing amount of money as a DIYer with TFP in my back pocket for my missing experience! Time to up my TFP support (already a recurring iOS PoolMath supporter)!
jneuharth
Yes, please share your experiences and results with this. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all turns out!
Thank you!!
r..

I wanted to provide a quick update after installing and using the IntelliConnect for a bit.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the IntelliConnect decision. The installation was very straight forward and easy for even a beginning DIY'er if you wanted to take on a project. Make sure you have a decent Wi-Fi signal and you are patient with taking the time to upgrade the network/Wi-Fi firmware and the controller firmware. It is very easy as it pops up, but it takes some time and I know you will want to play with it.... let it update first.

Since I have all Pentair equipment, the hookup was pretty easy. I used the fireman's switch for the heat and the RS485 connections for my pump/SWG. With the RS485/temp sensor connections I get more information on the LinkO2 application/website then I would get from timers and can do stuff like crank up the heat or tweak settings even when I'm not physically at home.

There are some shortcomings which I reported back to the IntelliConnect team I will highlight. The first was mentioned above about the IntelliConnect using RPM's vs flow for some of their settings. As someone that invested in a pump that has flow capabilities, it sort of takes away the benefits. You can still use the RPM option and do what you need but it would take it up another notch if you could just set the flow vs RPM. The good news here, the IntelliConnect team knows about the shortcoming and plans to add support for flow as an option in an upcoming update. Bottom line is I feel this will be solved.

The second shortcoming is scheduling. Currently there is only one schedule per item through IntelliConnect. You can still have things like multiple schedules in your pump, but if you want to have multiple schedules match that for something like one of the relays it does not support that option today. This is a known shortcoming from the IntelliConnect team which they want to address and I would say is the biggest gap the current version has. In talking with the IntelliConnect team I feel they are serious about improving this area, once they do I feel like they will have hit it out of the park as far as a great inbetween more full featured automation solutions and timers/nothing. For now it still works pretty well and does a lot of what I want, but it is falling short from what I have seen with even some pool timers in this specific arena. A work around would be just have one on/off time per day vs something like I do where I like to break it up throughout the day on off-peak times and when my family likes to use the pool. Still good... but not excellent.

Overall for someone that doesn't need more relays or looking for an option below the Easy Touch (more full featured automation) for about the same investment as a good pool timer I have to say the IntelliConnect hits the mark. It does have limited functionality but the IntelliConnect team has a much easier upgrade path vs other more advanced automation and is actually making some great upgrades. Having the chance to talk with the IntelliConnect team they have a lot of interesting items coming down the pipe that is just going to make the experiance even better. In short, I would highly recommend IntelliConnect to up your automation game above a timer without going into the more pricey investment options. Hope this helps some of my fellow TFP'ers on the fence regarding automation!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.