North Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I'm a new pool owner that has the IntelliConnect System from Pentair installed. I was not able to find much on this site regarding the IntelliConnect product, so I wanted to share my experience so far.

IntelliConnect Install Guide [ Link ]
IntelliConnect App User Guide [ Link ]
IntelliConnect Wireless Pairing Guide [ Link ]

I have what I am told is a pretty basic pool. 12K Gallon Gunite Pool with a bunch of Pentair gear (2 x Intellibrite LED Colored Lights, IntelliFlo VS Pump, Clean & Clear 200 RP Cartridge Filter, IntelliChlor SWG and the IntelliConnect automation).

The IntelliConnect is the smaller, light grey box, closest to the filter.

Setup was easy. I downloaded the app from the app store, connected to the device via Wifi (it acts as a hotspot for initial setup) and gave it the credentials for my home wifi. I did not have great wifi outside of my house so I did run a new access point to the back patio to have good wifi signal for the entire pool area.

All of the photos below are from the phone app, but the website looks and functions the same.

Landing Screen
This is the landing screen when you first launch the Link2O app. Apparently it supports multiple systems... so I have to click on my device to access any controls or details. I wish since I only have one device, it simply went to my pool.

Home Screen for Pool
This next page is the home screen for my pool. There are links to the controls (I do not have a heater so that option is disabled). At the bottom of the page you can see an overall status of the system.

IntelliFlo Page
From the home screen, if I click on IntelliFlo I see the below page. This page shows the current speed of the pump and energy usage. I can start/stop the pump, switch between the programs (1-4) and edit any of the programs. My program 1 has my run schedule (12 hours a day), so that's mostly all I use.

IntelliChlor Screen
The next option from the home screen is the IntelliChlor. This shows me the current setting for the SWG and allows me to change the setting in 5% increments. The bottom of the page shows the salt level (it's way too high as the builder added too much salt) and the water temperature. There is also a boost option, which will temporarily increase the chlorine generation and pump speed for a period of time that you can define. It defaults to 72 hours.

Relay Page
Finally, the last 2 options from the home screen control the relays (there are 2). Relay 1 is providing power to the IntelliFlo VSP and Relay 2 is providing power for my 2 IntelliBrite 5G LED lights (both lights are wired to the single relay).

Relay 1:
Initially I had Relay 1 in manual mode and on. The issue with manual mode in this situation is that, in the event of a power outage, the relay does not automatically turn back on when the power is restored. This has become an issue for me with the frequent Florida summer thunderstorms. I called Pentair about this and they stated that the IntelliFlo VSP should not be powered from the IntelliConnect Relay, rather it should have its own dedicated power line. The RS-432 interface will control the IntelliFlo and ensure that the IntelliChlor does not turn on, unless the pump is on. The Pentair rep also confirmed that with the RS-432 connection to both the IntelliFlo and IntelliChlor, in the event of a flow switch failure on the IntelliChlor, the IntelliConnect will prevent the IntelliChlor from turning on when the IntelliFlo is not running.

Relay 2:
I have both of my lights connected to Relay 2. The IntelliConnect allows you to setup one schedule for the lights, or just operate in manual mode. The best feature is that you can switch between the light modes (the IntelliBrite's have over 16 modes, which the kids love). You can of courser manually turn them on/off, even if a schedule is in place and active.

Overall I have been very happy with the system. This is my first pool and I had assumed any type of automation would have been out of my budget, but was pretty excited to see that this was standard from my builder. I like the ability to see energy usage and the ability to easily adjust the schedules with my phone and see the water temp even if I'm at work.

From an app/website perspective, the functionality is good, however every once in a while I have to kill the app and relaunch to interact with the controller. For example last night, I was trying to change the pool light colors and the app said it was working, but nothing happened. Once I killed the app and relaunched it was fine.

I hope this helps anyone who is considering this product. I'm happy to answer questions if there are any. Below are a couple photos of the pool for reference...

Attachments

• System Photo.png
    System Photo.png
    201.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
B,

Thank you for the review... I was more impressed with the IntelliConnect than I thought I would be..

If you don't mind sharing, what was the cost buying it through your pool builder..

Thanks again,

Jim R.

Jim,

I would be happy to share, unfortunately the cost was not itemized. It’s part of their “standard package” that all their pools come with. Interestingly they did not even offer to upsell to some of the more robust systems that I was unaware of until joining this site.

We did add a second light to the pool which was $975; that’s the only item I have itemized.

I’m quite impressed with the Intelliconnect. Pump control, heater control and even intellibrite 5g light control. I’ve added a 24 vac transformer and dpdt relay to move actuator valve when heater is turned on. That was installed in the heater. All equipment is Pentair.

Reactions: Blancmik
Blancmik
Nice review and thanks.
I know a couple of folks in my neighborhood who have very nice but basic setups that this system would be perfect for, without the cost and complexity of bigger automation systems.
Thanks again for sharing. :goodjob:
r.

Reactions: Blancmik
Great review, thanks for posting. Automation is on my list for 2019/2020. User interface looks really good and concise.
A couple of quick questions for all that have been involved IntelliConnect System:
- Can this be a DIY installation? I am fairly handy (especially with YouTube) or is this overly complex?
- Is this compatible with other than Pentair products? I have a Hayward pump, Jandy AquaLink RS One Touch panel and Raypak heater.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Effers, my builder installed the Intelliconnect, but it does not look complicated. I removed the wire cover and took a photo of the wires connected and the diagram in the enclosure. I have 220 on Relay 1 which is my pump and 120 on Relay 2 which are my lights. The smaller wires on the left are for the communication functions.

With respect to other equipment, I recall when I was first setting up the IntelliConnect I had to chose the equipment and I saw options for some Hayword and Jandy equipment, but I don't recall the specifics.

Hope this helps and good luck!

@Blancmik, I appreciate the review. If you don’t mind another question, how does the scheduling work? How many schedules can you have set? I’d want to schedule different pump speeds for filtration/SWCG and skimming, and different on the weekends when we use the pool more.

@Soupy When managing the IntelliFlo pump and SWG through the App, there are 4 pre-sets that you can manager as a schedule, Egg Timer or Manual. According to the manual, there are 8 presets that can be configured, but only 4 are available through the app.

Here is a screenshot of the IntelliFlo control screen. I currently have one schedule configured. From what I have seen, if you have multiple schedules configured, the pump runs are the highest level.

Configuration screen for Schedule Mode

Configuration screen for Egg Timer mode

Configuration screen for Manual mode

An important note is that the SWG is on if the pump is running and the flow switch is activated. I have not see where the IntelliConnect will allow me to run the pump and disable the SWG.

Hope this answers your question.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That helps a lot, I appreciate it. Seems like the scheduling should be plenty.

I assume it turns the SWG off when the pump is off, and doesn’t rely exclusively on the flow switch in the SWG?

This is in the IntelliConnect manual, so according to Pentair, it sounds like you only need the RS485 connection, and the IntelliConnect uses the IntelliFlo status to Enable / Disable the SWG, not relying on the SWG flow switch:

"When an IntelliChlor or iChlor SCG is wired to IntelliConnect via RS-485, a power connection to the load side of the pump relay is not required. Digital commands sent from the IntelliConnect to the SCG will not allow chlorine production when there is low power or no power on the filter pump relay or when the IntelliFlo is not running."

Reactions: Blancmik and Soupy
I just installed my intelliconnect. Is it possible to control any of the functions through an Alexa? The Link₂O app doesn’t come up when I search.

@Grndpoundr I have not found a way to control via Alexa. I believe its limited to the website or App. Would be cool if someone smarter that I built a skill!

@Bodcat

The way that the electrician wired it, is that the IntelliConnect is on a GFCI breaker. Not sure if that was a requirement, but that is how he set it up.

With respect to the light control, you are correct that you can select the light mode via the app and Intelliconnect will cycle the relay to get to the correct mode.

Hope this help!

Does relay 1 have to be set for your pump? I have an Intelliflo vs pump. But would like to have both relays available for other uses.
@Grndpoundr

Just wanted to send you a note regarding this... we had a power outage recently while we were out of town and when I came home my IntelliFlo was off (and my pool was getting no circulation or chlorine from my SWG). What I discovered is that, when the power goes out, the relay does not automatically turn back on.

I reached out to Pentair and that they stated that I should not have the IntelliFlo connected to the relay. The IntelliFlo should have its own, dedicated power source and the IntelliFlo should only be connected to the IntelliConnect via the communication cable. I've reached out to my pool builder who will be coming to re-wire the pump... as an interim solution I've setup a schedule for the relay so that in the event of a power failure, the schedule will cause the relay to turn back on. Additionally, Pentair said that I should choose the device type as an "Other Non Flow Dep device") to ensure that the communication with the IntelliChlor is correct (the IntelliConnect will determine when the IntelliChlor is active, not just the flow switch).

Hope this helps. I updated my original post to reflect this for anyone else that may look at this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.