Palm City/FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
My Century V-Green VS drive for my old Jandy pump. Finally, it came while we were out of town for the holidays. I can't wait to install it!

Chris

1578029481018.png

1578029440822.png

1578029395564.png

Got the same one over a year ago. Still running like a champ. Did you get the seals/etc. too?
Rich,

Great question and yes. Since my first seal leak years ago I always keep spares. Any time I have the pump motor off I replace the seal.

Chris

What kind of surge protector do you have to that fancy pump?
Kim,

Another great question! I'm getting bids right now for installation of a type 1 and type 2 surge protector. Did a little research on this after the lightning strike. I found 80% of surge damage is actually generated inside the home which is best protected by a type 2 surge protector mounted inside the panel. In my case I have two 125 amp panels so I'll need 2 of them. Also, I'll be adding a type 1 surge protector that goes between the meter and the house and is primarily for lightning strikes and other surges on the power lines themselves. This clearly is what caused my damage a couple months ago. Lightning exploded a 35' palm ($1K to replace) right next to the house and caused several thousand $ in damage to home appliances including my well, irrigation, iAqualink 2.0 antenna, router, security dvr, and a couple cameras.

The part I'm not sure about is lightning protection. This is what most people call a lightning rod. I had a very sophisticated on the boat that worked great during our blue water sailing days. Some golf courses have them but I don't see any homes around me that have these. Wonder if our experts would weigh in on this?

Chris

Note that the electrical compartment is susceptible to water intrusion.

I'm not sure how the water gets in, but I suspect that it gets in at the top screw that holds the compartment cover on.

Maybe put a piece of waterproof tape over the screw to prevent water from getting to the screw.

20190519_125838-jpg.102503

Last edited:
Looks like these guys are the people to call to discuss lighting strike mitigation -

I'm not sure how the water gets in, but I suspect that it gets in at the top screw that holds the compartment cover on.

Maybe put a piece of waterproof tape over the screw to prevent water from getting to the screw.

Great info, thanks James!

Chris

Looks like these guys are the people to call to discuss lighting strike mitigation -

Thank Matt! Interesting, seems to imply I could put brushes on the top corners of the roof and that would blanket the house and pool equipment. The 10 tall palms surrounding the house would be on their own.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

James,

I added a liberal amount of silicone lube on the seal around the edge. Also the photo looks like water was pretty deep in there. There is no place for accumulated water to drain. Looks to me that a hole where I've marked the black dot would be a good way to get water out. I'll check it frequently but if I can't stop the water intrusion it seems like a drain would be second best choice. What do you think?

drain hole location.jpg

I suspect that the water got in at the top screw that holds the compartment cover on.

I think that if you can cover the screw with waterproof tape or something, it should be fine.

I don't think that I would drill any holes.

i am following this thread closely. my 2 speed whisperflow just lost its low speed. Dang snake. this motor is not that much more than a replacement 2 speed motor. i really am surprised about the lack of user info on this motor

beers :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.