Glass mosaic tile for spa dam - no bullnose. Bad idea?

dandannoodles

Jun 30, 2020
Southern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi folks, I am about 9 months into my pool build/landscape remodel (lots of unforeseen delays) and we are finally chugging along. Pool is fairly simple - a rectangular pool with a large spa taking up one entire end. From about a week ago:

PXL_20220127_223455777.jpg

For tile, we chose a 6x12 porcelain for the main waterline and a 1x1 glass mosaic for the spa dam. I had some concern with the glass mosaic - I wasn't entirely sure how they were going to do the 90 degree outside corners but my PB more or less had assured me it would be fine.

This morning I went outside and the foreman on the job and the tiler both brought up concerns with the edge/corner of the glass tile possibly chipping. The tile we chose unfortunately doesn't offer a bullnose.

Thoughts? Is it possible to tile a 90 degree outside corner using a 1x1 glass mosaic? Should I avoid it altogether and use some kind of trim piece, like Schluter?

And just since I know the folks here like seeing projects, here's the concept (still making tweaks) from our landscape designer. Just submitted all plans for the pool house on Tuesday - lots going on!

2022-02-03_11-19-13.jpg

Look at post #68 in this pool build thread. (Las Vegas - Pool, Spa & Sunken Kitchen | Updates!)

And the one here in post #97 (New Build)

There are a couple of photos of glass mosaic tile on a spa, with 90 degree edges. This is how I would expect to see a 90 degree corner done with glass mosaic tile. Just need to ensure that only factory edges are showing. Cut edges should be covered up. This is my opinion as an obsessive engineer, and amateur tile setter, not a pool tradesman.

Not sure about using a Schluter edge piece, as I am not certain those are rated for continuous submersion.

I have learned that most things pool related, that are not structural in nature, are all a matter of opinion. And I'm glad to hear that your PB and tile guy asked questions instead of just going with their opinion on how to do it. So at least you are getting to be part of the decision making process instead of being disappointed about how they did it because it didn't match how you thought it would be done.

Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure will look awesome, as long as the tile guy does a good job. Which we know he at least cares a little bit about his work based on his concerns, so I would expect him to.

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.