Getting ready for SWG

You don't want to have a container that does not vent if you are going to store the acid in it. Acid containers have caps that vent the fumes.

You can estimate how much has poured out of the bottle with that type of hose. It's not like you have to have an exact amount each time, it's only water and if you are off a bit no harm will be done. I usually have to add a 1/4 gallon each time and I just go by weight of the jug if I can't see through the jug.

You don't want to have a container that does not vent if you are going to store the acid in it. Acid containers have caps that vent the fumes.

Thanks Ping. I did read that acid jugs vent, which is why storing them near metal can cause corrosion. Thanks for reminding me. Oh well, back to the drawing board...

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, how do they vent? Could I modify the cap of a squeeze bottle to vent?

I’ve always thought it would be kind of cool to hook up a Venturi injector to the pool plumbing (return side) with a hose and valve that would let you draw in whatever liquid chemical you want to dose. You could even do an air-draw to let bubbles in for aeration. Venturi injectors are fairly common and they come in 2” pipe sizes. One could even imagine installing it in a bypass configuration so that you only use it when chemical additions are needed and then you bypass it out of the return line.

Lots of kooky ideas for dosing chemicals...pouring works best....

If I turn a gallon of MA upside down and squeeze it, would a tiny bit of acid escape through the vent? Is it just a hole, or more elaborate than that?

I’ve always thought it would be kind of cool to hook up a Venturi injector to the pool plumbing (return side) with a hose and valve that would let you draw in whatever liquid chemical you want to dose. You could even do an air-draw to let bubbles in for aeration. Venturi injectors are fairly common and they come in 2” pipe sizes. One could even imagine installing it in a bypass configuration so that you only use it when chemical additions are needed and then you bypass it out of the return line.

Lots of kooky ideas for dosing chemicals...pouring works best....

Can't argue that. It's what I settled on. But I'm still using a measuring cup, so I have to handle both over the pool water, and that's the rub, coordinating all that, keeping it off my deck, out of my lungs, etc. My pool is small enough that I'm dosing 3oz at a time, so I'm not confident/practiced enough to just pour that straight out of a gallon jug without measuring...

Got any tips for doing that?

- - - Updated - - -

My other kooky idea...

Suspend a measuring cup over pool water, just over a return, that has a small hole in it. (I envision some sort of counterweighted plank to hold the cup.) Then just pour the desired amount of MA directly into the measuring cup and walk away. The acid would then just dispense over the return, in a nice, small, steady stream. Come back a minute later, dunk the measuring cup into the pool. Done.

Dirk If you left the push button open on that bottle it will vent through that.

Hummmmmmm cup hanging with hole in it...........zip tie it to a PVC pole and some how hold that pole while the ma goes into the water....

Dirk If you left the push button open on that bottle it will vent through that.

Hummmmmmm cup hanging with hole in it...........zip tie it to a PVC pole and some how hold that pole while the ma goes into the water....

"PVC" gave me an idea. I've now got it built in my head. Next step... Lowes!!

I still like my squeeze bottle idea, but something about it is nagging me. Storing MA in anything but what I bought it in is not sitting well. And pouring it out more than once (like the extra step of gallon into squeeze bottles) is also a concern (I'm forcing myself to picture myself doing all that when I'm 80!!). I'm going to give the hanging measuring cup a go. That's the closest to the pour methods you all describe, with my addition of being able to measure... I also like the notion of the acid dribbling out slower into the pool than I'm willing to do by squatting by the pool's edge trying to pour out a "pencil-sized" stream over a return for a minute or more (that's what's causing the issues).

More later! Muah, ha, ha...

Dirk, I eyeball MA adds in a pool that is 3/4s the size of yours. I'm OCD and I get the urge to be exact, but if you pour with an eye towards "how fast is this filling up a mythical 12oz can of soda" you can often get within an ounce or two, which is good enough for MA adds.

My OCD was recently diagnosed with OCD, so we're working through that...

I like to measure, for sure, but it's also about adding slowly, that's the bigger issue. One of my returns is over my steps. Another in the shallow end. I don't want to add MA at those locations. The only one that is over the deep end is also over a bench, so I have to reach out a ways to get the pour into the return's flow, away from the bench. Doing that with a full gallon, in a "pencil-sized stream," for as long as that would take, while trying to hold my breath, is the "part 2" I'm looking to solve.

My gizmo (Copyright © 2018 Dirk Enterprises. All rights reserved.) will allow me to pour and run, while holding my breath, then come back a minute or two later after it has slowly dribbled into the water, out over the deepest part of my pool, and in the return's current.

So, yah, this is just Dirk being Dirk, but it'll be useful and easy and accurate and safe. Plus I can get a good laugh when I show you all the pic's!! ;)

Besides, if I don't build this thing, I'll have to do what I'm supposed to be doing this weekend...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Take a empty gallon jug, cut the top, poke a tiny hole in the bottom side, set by return with rock in jug, add in your ma and run away.

I saw a pic of this with bleach on here

What?!? Somebody stole my idea before I thought of it!?!?!

That's the idea, but with my pool and returns the jug would not be far enough out into the pool. My gizmo is just extending that same idea a bit farther out over the water. I'm using a measuring cup instead of the jug, so that solves for the measuring issue at the same time.

Couldn't use a rock with MA, by the way, not sure what would be both heavy enough and impervious enough. But the gizmo will account for both (it's all in my head)!

I built it today. Letting the silicon dry. Looks promising. Debut in a day or two... Just need a name for the press release and marketing event...

Acid-Inta-Wahta
DripStream
Save-a-Deck
MA-for-Dummies
The Spillinator
Pour'n'Run
Dirk'n'Cover

Here we go...

Solved the kid-safe-pool-chemical-storage issue. All plastic except the lock. I don't keep it locked all the time, but my daughter wanted something for when her friends with kids are in the pool. Now the only deck boxes accessible anywhere in my backyard are the two with the pool toys.

IMG_3613.jpg

It would have been simpler to run something out the side, but I chose to go through the bottom to keep the box water proof (-ish).

IMG_3614.jpg

The chain unhooks and stows below out of the way when I don't need it.

IMG_3615.jpg

The MA storage box contents and the Save-a-Deck® Pour'n'Run®, all nice'n'tidy.

IMG_3616.jpg

Deck box holds five gallons of MA and all the dispensing/safety gear. Open gallon lives in the all plastic Save-a-Deck® Carrier.

IMG_3617.jpg

On my way to the pool... one handed. My stone guy recommended the bucket trick. He doesn't carry any chemicals over client surfaces without a second layer of protection. Wish I had thought of that sooner. Check out the deck below the bucket. Look closely. Uh huh. I Dirked it a while back, and have been on this quest since. My stone guy assures me that we are going to be able to get those stains out. I'll own it. I'll take one for the team here to illustrate the care required of this stuff, and how badly I've mishandled it so far.

IMG_3618.jpg

The Save-a-Deck® Pour'n'Run® and Save-a-Deck® Carrier in place on the coping.

IMG_3619.jpg

Unfolding the Pour'n'Run®. This would have been a considerably simpler project without the collapsibility. But I needed it a certain length to do its thing, and I wanted it to be easy to carry and to be able to fit in that little deck box. So it folds up. It's constructed of all PVC, nylon and plastic, and I'm hoping it'll survive the MA atmosphere. There is lead in it, but it is sealed off, and I believe lead and MA together is a very little reaction should the two manage to meet somehow. I can always store it in the other deck box if it becomes an issue.

IMG_3620.jpg

The Save-a-Deck® System deployed.

IMG_3621.jpg

Adding MA (simulated, pool already had its dose today). Gloves optional. I'll probably use them regularly, as I have been. The MA jug comes out of the bucket, right over the water. I unscrew the lid and pour right into the measuring cup, already in place. It's super fast now, to pour and measure. One handed, one breath hold. Then the cap goes right back on the jug, the jug right back into the bucket. The jug is never directly over the deck. Then I just walk away, and take a breath. The measuring cup, which cost almost as much as all the other material combined, was too good to pass up. It's OXO. It has a nice sturdy handle and a very cool feature that allows you to see the amount poured from above. Pretty much perfect for this application. It holds two cups, which is my typical chlorine dose, and I've never poured more than about 6 ounces of MA into my pool at any one time.

IMG_3622.jpg

The MA dispenses over the return, nice and slow. That's a 1/8" stream. Two cups dispense in the time it takes to walk over to check and empty the skimmer basket. Because I can walk away while it's dispensing and do other pool tasks, I think this actually takes me less time overall, because I don't have to sit there for a minute and pour it out. It certainly doesn't add any time to my maintenance regime.

IMG_3623.jpg

The measuring cup just sits loose in the Pour'n'Run®, so it comes out easy for a quick rinse.

IMG_3624.jpg

Fold it up, pack the gloves away into the bucket with the MA, everything goes back to the storage box inside the bucket! Or leave it there and come back in a bit to dispense the chlorine. Winter time... I might just leave it out to quickly do my daily liquid chlorine bumps.

I'll be taking orders and ramping up production soon. Based on materials and labor for the prototype, I think I can let them go for the low, low price of only $595.99. Comes in Great White, Arctic White or Pearly White. Quantity discounts available upon request. Fully backed by my lifetime guarantee (as in, I guarantee you guys will be making fun of me for the rest of my lifetime)!! ;)

I can see the pics in all their glory!! Hats off to you, ah, better keep my hat on for safety.

You better work on creating the warning stickers to go on the device now. Here are some:

Always reduce phosphates to zero before adding muriatic acid to pool.

Consult Dirk before even considering use of this device.

Use of this device could reduce the income of deck refinishers.

Although not required, use of an oxygen tank and mask while pouring muriatic acid is highly recommended.

Do not fall in pool while leaning over to pour muriatic acid.

But all kidding aside, it is well constructed and appears to address your concerns well.

[emoji4][emoji106]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.