Getting pool installed in about a month

Swankee

Jul 22, 2021
Cookeville, TN
We did decide on a fiberglass drop in pool, but my husband and I are having the great debate... chlorine or saltwater.

I could use some help to ease my mind about the harshness of chlorine or to ease his about the damage salt can do.

So a quick summary of what you chose and why would be a great help to me!

Your long term experience with either would be good, too.

chlorine or saltwater
Hi Swanky.

This is probably a pedantic difference but I do want to be sure we're all on the same page.

All pools are chlorine pools. The difference is in how the chlorine gets into your pool. Your decision is between lugging jugs of liquid chlorine, or in installing a salt water chlorine generator (SWCG or SWG) that uses chemistry (electrolysis) to use the salt in the water to create the same chlorine molecules that liquid chlorine has.

In one, you are buying jugs every few weeks and dosing the pool by hand every day. The other, you buy a fairly expensive piece of equipment (effectively prepaying for the chlorine you would have always had to buy) and then letting it do its thing.

As to your questions. Worries about the 'harshness of chlorine' arise out of a combination of poor maintenance, a lack of understanding about water chemistry in the pool store industry itself (who will actively try to sell you products that do nothing or even make things worse), and generally an unfounded societal fear of 'chemicals' which is now used as a curse word, usually to sell something else.

Equally, worries about the effects of salt on landscaping etc. are basically unproven and seem unlikely given the actual salinity of a pool is significantly lower than sea water, and not that different to that of tears. If any erosion is noticed, it would have happened anyway and is more likely due to splash out in general, wind, soft stones that are susceptible to that sort of thing to begin with etc..

I hope this was helpful. Please continue to ask lots of questions and we'll be here every step of your build and start-up to make sure you get a great pool up and running and looking amazing for years to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: cottoncandy419
What Ben said and for me SWG all the way. In fact mine died a couple of weeks ago and Amazon had a new one here 2 days later. Have not seen any sort of corrosion problems, nor do my plantings around the pool seem bothered by dousing with salt water. Love being able to go on vacation and know my pool will be fine while I'm gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.