Frozen Pool Pics 🥶

What are you doing to clear your gutters?? Got the same thing going on over here in Memphis!
I took a hammer up there to try to break up the ice so there is a clear path for it to drain down to the gutter. Knocked off all the icicles. Removed the corrugated pipe (which are solid ice) and knocked out ice from the bottom of the gutter downspouts so water could drain out.
E37CA663-2B06-4BC4-8A36-41D377F61F34.jpeg4CBB2AB4-AB9F-474C-9330-68C97FA7453B.jpeg

My wife's grandparents gave it to us, along with the lot that our house now sits on. At first we thought it was a curse, but TFP has made it easy to care for, and it was a huge blessing this past year.

My wife is an elementary school teacher. She and my daughter may not have survived all the time off without the pool. It has been a lot of fun and it was a huge blessing!
You may want to support the forum by becoming a Bronze, Silver or Gold support...kind of like paying it forward with all the savings from Great info.

There is a 20x40 pool out there somewhere. There is over foot and half of snow on the deck, and I will guess that the ice is at least 12" thick.
It looks like the pool is low on water, but its an allusion as snow is so deep and its drifted up against the insides.View attachment 175743
Yep, that's what our pool looks like every winter. I sympathize with those of you who don't experience this on a regular basis but there are definitely ways to prepare for it and not have any damage.

• Love
Reactions: thefloatqueen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have been above freezing most of today and yesterday, but my pool ice is still supporting my body weight in most areas. It did crack on the tanning ledge and I was able to gauge the thickness was still 3-4 inches, which is thicker than my coping. Here is a piece turned on its side:

IMG_7185.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: kellyfair
from the land that never ices over.
Never say never! This thread has been incredible. But it has me thinking.

Like some of our Texas brothers and sisters, before these last few weeks I never gave a thought to being prepared for both sustained single-digit temps and rolling blackouts. I've never seen snow here. I don't think we've been below 20°F for more than an hour or two, certainly not all day. And I might get a brief power outage every other year or so. What would I do under the conditions Texas just endured? What would I be able to do? How would my pool or its plumbing fare? And what can I do now, before it happens here, to get prepared?

I'm looking into generators. That's all I've come up with so far. Maybe I should collect and then print out a pool winterizing plan. So with minimal notice, maybe after the power goes out (when there would be no way to look things up on the 'net or contact any TFP saviors), I'll have a hard copy set of instructions of how to winterize my pool. And then along with that a stock of whatever tools or materials I need to get it done.

I don't think it's farfetched. CA already has had rolling blackouts because our grid is not up to snuff. So we're already halfway there.

OK, I'm putting the winterizing checklist project on my to do list now...

Dirk, since you are part of a massive electrical grid, all it would take is failure of multiple generating plants on the grid to duplicate what happened here. It doesn't even have to be close to you to affect you. You might be lucky and only lose power for a few hours, or be like my co-workers who did not have power for 4 days. We only live 4 miles apart. You may want to practice how you would do all this in the dark since that is when power is most likely to go out. Pipes below ground level would probably be ok. Its all the above ground pipes that need protection.

My b-i-l kept his AGP running during the storm, but they lost power and the water in the pipe froze enough that he could not move the valve to shut off water from the skimmer to the pump. The water in the pump pot froze solid and broke the pump pot lid.

Hey Dirk - I had my regular Saturday breakfast with a group of guys this morning, and the power outages and home generators were a hot topic. One of the guys is a big Tesla fanboy already, but he was ordering the Tesla Powerwall and had compelling arguments for that over a generator. His main arguments were that with upcoming tax credits it was not that much more than a good whole house generator, but with a much better warranty, less maintenance, and he could store his solar power for use at night for additional cost savings.

The Powerwall may be worth checking out if you have solar already. He also is on the waitlist for the new goofy looking Tesla truck, but mentioned that has an option to have enough batteries to run your house for a day. Collectively we decided that could be a dangerous idea that could leave you stranded with no power at home, and no way to get somewhere else if you dont have another vehicle.

Reactions: Dirk
Hey Dirk - I had my regular Saturday breakfast with a group of guys this morning, and the power outages and home generators were a hot topic. One of the guys is a big Tesla fanboy already, but he was ordering the Tesla Powerwall and had compelling arguments for that over a generator. His main arguments were that with upcoming tax credits it was not that much more than a good whole house generator, but with a much better warranty, less maintenance, and he could store his solar power for use at night for additional cost savings.

The Powerwall may be worth checking out if you have solar already. He also is on the waitlist for the new goofy looking Tesla truck, but mentioned that has an option to have enough batteries to run your house for a day. Collectively we decided that could be a dangerous idea that could leave you stranded with no power at home, and no way to get somewhere else if you dont have another vehicle.
I'd love to have both, wall and geny. But which first? Because of my 6" frostline depth where I live, a one day scenario is not something I'm overly concerned about. I'm freaked about days of no power, with or without sub-freezing temps, or in a heat wave. And if there's snow, what happens to my solar panel output? I don't think a wall is the more reliable, robust solution. A generator seems like it could cover more possible scenarios, for much longer periods of time. Thoughts?

Yep, that's what our pool looks like every winter. I sympathize with those of you who don't experience this on a regular basis but there are definitely ways to prepare for it and not have any damage.

My pool freezes every year, just aliitle more so this year, and alot more snow

Reactions: thefloatqueen
As a new pool owner this week has been an invaluable, trial by fire learning experience that I hope never to repeat! 😂

Attachments

• 2F582B65-35FD-40B7-9471-C515CFE79D24.jpeg
    2F582B65-35FD-40B7-9471-C515CFE79D24.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 19

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.