First time testing and opening a new build from last summer

Just got around to buying the TF-Pro test kit for salt and wanted to double check the electric salt tester, which was showing 3200. The drop test is showing 4400ppm. The SWG has never been on, only time salt was added to the pool was when it was completed in September.
Did you use the smart stir with the drop test? Bottle vertical, and let the drops drop from their own weight without squeezing them out rapidly? If so, you drop test is the most valid.
Looks like the only way to lower the salt is to drain and add more water?
Yes, but is your SWCG working? If so, no need to drain.

If you do need to drain, read "no drain water exchange" here:

What model SWG do you have? I don’t see it listed in your signature.

Did you use a 10ml sample size for your salt test?

Reactions: Rockybalboa
No, I did not use the smart stir - should I have? No, I did not let the weight drop, I squeezed them out. I'll try again.

SWCG is still not on yet, just been adding liquid chlorine when needed.

Thanks!

No, I did not use the smart stir - should I have? No, I did not let the weight drop, I squeezed them out. I'll try again.
Smart stir will make sure the test is mixing, especially with the salt test. Go slow with the drops, squeeze really slowly and let the drops fall on their own. Wait a few seconds between the drops to let the smart stir do its thing. You will see it start to turn, then go back when you are close.

Smart stir will make sure the test is mixing, especially with the salt test. Go slow with the drops, squeeze really slowly and let the drops fall on their own. Wait a few seconds between the drops to let the smart stir do its thing. You will see it start to turn, then go back when you are close.
Thank you for the tips! New number is now 4,000

Intellichlor will work fine with salt at 4,000. You can run your SWG and just let the salinity drop during the season.

Reactions: Rockybalboa
Hi everyone. Can someone please let me know why my PH keeps dropping? It's all over the place and my TA has pretty much been consistent at 80-100. I just put in borax yesterday, got my PH up to 8.0 and today it's at 6.8.

SWG still not on, salt is around 4000ppm, using liquid chlorine.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-31-18-23-59-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-31-18-23-59-03.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do the pH test and post a picture quickly of the comparator block we can se the color of your pH test.

How old are the reagents?
Here you go!

I was using reagents that expire in 2024, but just used my brand new kit with it expiring in 2025, same color results, r-0014 with the tf100 pro

Attachments

• IMG20230531184227.jpg
    IMG20230531184227.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 6
Do your logs accurately reflect absolutely every test and chemical addition?

Are you confident in your TA test? Are you sure you did the test with 25ml sample? Carefully redo the TA test with a 25ml sample and report number of drops and what you think the TA test result was...

Last edited:
Do your logs accurately reflect absolutely every test and chemical addition?
From the last few days, yes, except adding .25 gallon of liquid chlorine.

Only other thing is last week my ph was low, I added in the exact amount of borax pool math told me and the PH was way too high, darker than 8.2. I then added dry acid to lower it back down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-31-18-56-26-85.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-31-18-56-26-85.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 3
Are you confident in your TA test? Are you sure you did the test with 25ml sample? Carefully redo the TA test with a 25ml sample and report number of drops and what you think the TA test result was...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.