First time testing and opening a new build from last summer

Rockybalboa

Jul 1, 2021
NY
Hi all. Just opened my in ground, vinyl, SWG, 18k-ish gallon pool. First time using Taylors kit, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TA- 60
PH-7
CYA - the dot never disappeared/the water never was cloudy, less than 30
CH-80
Free chlorine - .5ppm
Combined chlorine - 1ppm

Used salt tester and salt was 3200

For reference, the build was completed in September.

Thanks so much!

Did you let the water circulate for 24 hours before testing?

Add 30 ppm of stabilizer/CYA.

Add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine

Turn on your SWG.

What type of pool is it?

Did you let the water circulate for 24 hours before testing?

Add 30 ppm of stabilizer/CYA.

Add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine

Turn on your SWG.

What type of pool is it?
Thank you very much for the quick reply! Yes, the pump has been running for a few days now. So much to learn!! Waiting for the pool company to come back and turn on automation and SWG. Any issues putting these chemicals in now or should I just turn on the SWG myself?

Pool is an in ground, vinyl, 18k gallon pool.

Put the chemicals in now as long as the pump is running.

You have a heater? What model?

What automation?

It would be helpful if you create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Reactions: Bperry

Put the chemicals in now as long as the pump is running.

You have a heater? What model?

What automation?

It would be helpful if you create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

That would be helpful! Signature updated!

19Kish gal, IG vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 sq. ft. D.E. Pool Filter, Pentair IntelliCenter automation, Pentair eti400 400k BTU gas heater, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot, K2006 test kit

I tried looking up some labels for liquid chlorine, when you say to add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine, how do I figure out how much to add into the actual pool?
Download this...Link-->PoolMath

Configure your pool including size, and you can use the "effect of adding" feature, choose bleach and the %. Change the amount until you get to 5ppm FC addition.

ng up some labels for liquid chlorine, when you

Download this...Link-->PoolMath

Configure your pool including size, and you can use the "effect of adding" feature, choose bleach and the %. Change the amount until you get to 5ppm FC addition.
That makes sense - thanks! I first tried messing with it before I posted and didn't understand what it was saying. I'll give it another try!

Setup your pool:
IMG_9270.png

Then from home screen press the three bars in the upper left corner, and select effects of adding. Use bleach and your %. 122oz of 10% liquid chlorine will add 5ppm.
IMG_9271.png

Reactions: Rockybalboa

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine in your 18K pool is 5.6 ppm.

Simply pour a gallon of 10% or 12% liquid chlorine in daily. No measurement needed.

1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine in your 18K pool is 5.6 ppm.

Simply pour a gallon of 10% or 12% liquid chlorine in daily. No measurement needed.
Got it, thanks! So how do I know how many days I need to continue to add in a gallon? Would I simply just add in 1 gallon and then test it, and repeat until my test results are where they need to be? I guess I am confused about where you mentioned adding a gallon daily, but 1 gallon will raise the levels up to what you suggested.

To increase CYA by 30 I would need about 1.5 Gallons of Liquid Stabilizer and about 20 pounds of Calcium Chloride - I'm learning!

The pump is set to run for 11 hours BTW - not sure if it should be longer during these chemical additions

Add the 1 gallon a day until you get your test kit. That should hold your algae in check.

When you get your test kit post a full set of results and we can discuss next steps which is probably the SLAM Process

Your pump running 11 hours is fine.

Got it, thanks! So how do I know how many days I need to continue to add in a gallon? Would I simply just add in 1 gallon and then test it, and repeat until my test results are where they need to be? I guess I am confused about where you mentioned adding a gallon daily, but 1 gallon will raise the levels up to what you suggested.
Add a gallon to get your FC up to about 5. @ajw22 he has a taylor test kit. Turn on your SWG. SWG will maintain FC, not so much on raising FC. Use Liquid Chlorine to raise FC and SWG to maintain.
To increase CYA by 30 I would need about 1.5 Gallons of Liquid Stabilizer and about 20 pounds of Calcium Chloride - I'm learning!
No. Calcium chloride will increase CH. You should add Chlorine stabilizer (CYA). Add enough to add 30ppm.

The pump is set to run for 11 hours BTW - not sure if it should be longer during these chemical additions
Probably best to run your pump while you are making additions, for at least an hour.

I have my test kit - are there other things you are looking for that I didn't provide?
Nah, I lost track of where we were.

Just bring your water up to…

Add a gallon to get your FC up to about 5. @ajw22 he has a taylor test kit. Turn on your SWG. SWG will maintain FC, not so much on raising FC. Use Liquid Chlorine to raise FC and SWG to maintain.

No. Calcium chloride will increase CH. You should add Chlorine stabilizer (CYA). Add enough to add 30ppm.

Probably best to run your pump while you are making additions, for at least an hour.
Thanks! The calcium chloride is to get me to 200 CH to help protect my natural gas heater.

Thanks! The calcium chloride is to get me to 200 CH to help protect my natural gas heater.
Got it. The CYA and the CaCl are two different things. Your sentence made it seem like you viewed them the same...I see you understand...

You Rock GIF

Just wanted to provide a quick update and a thank you to @PoolStored and @ajw22

After I added 1 gallon of liquid chlorine, 1.5 gallons of liquid stabilizer and 20lbs of calcium chloride my numbers increased:

FC went up only by 1 to 1.5 total. I put 2 additional gallons of liquid chlorine today

CYA still too low to measure, but the water is now cloudy whereas yesterday it was clear. I added 2 gallons of stabilizer.

CH went up by almost 100, to 170 total. Added another 5lbs today to try to get to at least 200.

SWG still has not been turned it, should I just do that myself? Or is it part of the automation and I should wait?

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.