First time testing and opening a new build from last summer

SWG still has not been turned it, should I just do that myself? Or is it part of the automation and I should wait?
You added 40ppm of liquid stabilizer. I would get your FC up to 5-7 and keep it there. Always follow this-->FC/CYA Levels

For the moment, I would treat your pool as a liquid chlorine pool and leave the SWCG off.

Once your FC is up and holding, I would do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to make sure you don't have algae before you raise CYA any more, or turn on SWCG.

LINK-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Reactions: Rockybalboa
You added 40ppm of liquid stabilizer. I would get your FC up to 5-7 and keep it there. Always follow this-->FC/CYA Levels

For the moment, I would treat your pool as a liquid chlorine pool and leave the SWCG off.

Once your FC is up and holding, I would do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to make sure you don't have algae before you raise CYA any more, or turn on SWCG.

LINK-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Just gave CYA a test, after about 5 hours of adding stabilizer, I'm at about 33/34.

FC is now 4.4
CC is 0.6

Is it ok to add more chlorine today?

I forgot to mention I do have an auto cover, that is on all day unless I'm vacuuming.

Ok...I messed up my FC testing before when I did it this morning and my FC is actually 11.2..... Yikes!

CYA is now 40
CC is 0.6
No worries, FC is fine all the way up to slam level for people and equipment (Slam for CYA of 40 is FC 16).

I would switch to the 10ml sample test size where each drop is .5 FC. No need to waste reagent with 25ml size.

No worries, FC is fine all the way up to slam level for people and equipment (Slam for CYA of 40 is FC 16).

I would switch to the 10ml sample test size where each drop is .5 FC. No need to waste reagent with 25ml size.
Phew! I was getting worried!

So, if I test tomorrow morning and FC is within less than 1ppm of tonight, then I am in great shape and no algae or anything is present. Then no need for SLAM, and then just need to maintain levels?

Do I need to test every single thing or just the main ones that are listed?

FC and CC. Re-read this--->Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

test after sunset and before sunrise. Run pump 30 minutes before testing (both times).
Good morning!

Great news, FC did not drop at all during the overnight test!
CC, the water is just very very slightly pink, 1 drop gets it perfectly clear, so .5ppm, same a yesterday
CYA remained the same as yesterday as well, 33/34

Here are current results
Great. For all future CYA testing, fill to a line, look. Fill to the next line, look. When it is obscured that is your result. Any and all CYA results should end with a 0. Your CYA, for purposes of PoolMath and FC/CYA relationship is 40. (why? the scale between the lines is logarithmic, you can't read between the lines.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great. For all future CYA testing, fill to a line, look. Fill to the next line, look. When it is obscured that is your result. Any and all CYA results should end with a 0. Your CYA, for purposes of PoolMath and FC/CYA relationship is 40. (why? the scale between the lines is logarithmic, you can't read between the lines.
Got it! Then it would be 30. Thanks for that tip.

Do I need to get it to 60 for the recommend level?

For a CYA of 30, the recommendation is 4-6 FC, since mine is at 11, should I leave the auto cover off to have the sun burn off some FC? Or as you said yesterday, below 16 is ok.

Got it! Then it would be 30. Thanks for that tip.

Do I need to get it to 60 for the recommend level?

For a CYA of 30, the recommendation is 4-6 FC, since mine is at 11, should I leave the auto cover off to have the sun burn off some FC? Or as you said yesterday, below 16 is ok.
If you read between 30 and 40, you always round up. Your CYA is 40.

How are you chlorinating? I'm assuming liquid chlorine. If so, recommended CYA is 30-50. 40 is just fine. If you find you are using a lot of chlorine, then up it to 50.

Your CYA is 40, so 5-7. I'd just use the pool as normal, it will come down. Anything up to SLAM is safe for people and equipment.

Go SWIM!

If you read between 30 and 40, you always round up. Your CYA is 40.

How are you chlorinating? I'm assuming liquid chlorine. If so, recommended CYA is 30-50. 40 is just fine. If you find you are using a lot of chlorine, then up it to 50.

Your CYA is 40, so 5-7. I'd just use the pool as normal, it will come down. Anything up to SLAM is safe for people and equipment.

Go SWIM!
Really appreciate your time and patience with me and your quick responses! Thank you!

For now I am using liquid chlorine, still waiting for the SWG and automation to be turned on. So I'll continue that as needed!

Hi guys. Is it normal to lose 1ppm of FC in 12 hours in the day with an auto cover on? I read that you can lose a lot during the day with high UV, but I wasn't sure if I should expect FC loss with the auto cover on all day.

Also, after about a minute or two after the test water becomes clear it turns slight pink again, which would take 1 more drop to become clear again. I think that's because some of the rock hard pieces of the R0870 didn't fully dissolve. Should I add that drop and count it towards my FC?

Thanks!

Just got around to buying the TF-Pro test kit for salt and wanted to double check the electric salt tester, which was showing 3200. The drop test is showing 4400ppm. The SWG has never been on, only time salt was added to the pool was when it was completed in September.

Looks like the only way to lower the salt is to drain and add more water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.