First time I cleaned my filter by myself, it looked like this...Is this normal?

Apr 29, 2016
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is what my filter looked like when I cleaned it myself for my first time on 2/27/16. Is this how a dirty filter is supposed to look?

Attachments

• 14629208445331.jpg
    14629208445331.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 92
Looks pretty normal to me.. How many times do you backwash before you tear it down for a good cleaning.

What is your normal clean pressure and at what pressure are you backwashing or cleaning?

Jim R.

Edit.. have you put it back together yet? First time took me an hour and I thought I was going to have to call someone. Getting all the grids to line up in the right place and at the same time can be fun...

Looks pretty normal to me.. How many times do you backwash before you tear it down for a good cleaning.

What is your normal clean pressure and at what pressure are you backwashing or cleaning?

Jim R.

Edit.. have you put it back together yet? First time took me an hour and I thought I was going to have to call someone. Getting all the grids to line up in the right place and at the same time can be fun...
I never did my own backwashes before this filter clean. I entrusted all maintenance to a pool guy for 2.5 years (as long as I've been living in this house with my first pool) and just last month cut ties with him. Before I did this filter clean, it was operating at 30-35 psi (well past the "clean filter" indicator mark [emoji53]). After the cleaning, I added 10 quarts of D.E. thru the skimmer. I believe that is the correct volume of D.E. to fully charge my filter, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The pressure was 10 psi after the cleaning. I've backwashed 3 times since that 2/27 tear-down, each time when the pressure nudged past 20 psi. Post-backwashes, pressure drops back to ~12 psi. Also, every backwash I do is for 1.5 minutes, then I add another 5 qts D.E. thru the skimmer. Please let me know if that's not correct.

When I put the filter back together, everything fit into place without any hassle (guess I got lucky [emoji3]). The most annoying/concerning part was the extremely loud squeaking sound that came from every quarter turn of my crescent wrench in tightening the barrel nut back onto the T-bolt. Is that sound normal?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

White lithium grease (WD-40 brand is ok) on the bolt threads helps reduce the sliding friction on the nut and t-bolt. I only hear the squeak when I get to the tightest point on the turn.

I would suggest far less with every backwash. I have a Pentair QuadDE-100 filter. I use 10lbs on a fresh recharge and never more than 4 pounds on a backwash. That is more than enough DE. You backwash far less than 50% of the DE (especially with only a 90sec backwash), using more than 50% of the fresh charge value will lead to excess DE sitting wasted in the bottom of the filter.

White lithium grease (WD-40 brand is ok) on the bolt threads helps reduce the sliding friction on the nut and t-bolt. I only hear the squeak when I get to the tightest point on the turn.

I would suggest far less with every backwash. I have a Pentair QuadDE-100 filter. I use 10lbs on a fresh recharge and never more than 4 pounds on a backwash. That is more than enough DE. You backwash far less than 50% of the DE (especially with only a 90sec backwash), using more than 50% of the fresh charge value will lead to excess DE sitting wasted in the bottom of the filter.
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely cut it back.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.