Raypak lonox heater not lighting and rusted base

threeanddone

Apr 6, 2024
Southern California
Trying to troubleshoot a Raypak r337a LNG lonox heater. It’s sparking and gas is turning on, but not lighting.

I took the burner tray out and cleaned the orifices. Put it back together and it lit, but first start was pretty hard. It kept burning, but was lightly smoking out the top and it is sooting. I let it burn a bit and it kept smoking. Took the cover off and the flames looked pretty yellow. Tried to start it again to take a pic, but now it is not starting again.

My next thought is to take the manifold apart and clean it from the inside.

Any other thoughts how to proceed?

Also, by the way, when I cleaned out the base of the heater, I noticed about a 1”x6” section has completely rusted through to the ground under the burner burners. Any suggestions what to do about this? Is there any high temp tape or filler I can use?

Trying to troubleshoot a Raypak r337a LNG lonox heater. It’s sparking and gas is turning on, but not lighting.

I took the burner tray out and cleaned the orifices. Put it back together and it lit, but first start was pretty hard. It kept burning, but was lightly smoking out the top and it is sooting. I let it burn a bit and it kept smoking. Took the cover off and the flames looked pretty yellow. Tried to start it again to take a pic, but now it is not starting again.

My next thought is to take the manifold apart and clean it from the inside.

Any other thoughts how to proceed?

Also, by the way, when I cleaned out the base of the heater, I noticed about a 1”x6” section has completely rusted through to the ground under the burner burners. Any suggestions what to do about this? Is there any high temp tape or filler I can use?
You should never use a heater that has the cabinet rusted through, especially in the firebox area. The amount of heat escaping and the amount of air entering from the bottom will not allow the heater to work safely.
You may also have parts of the refractory material that has deteriorated and fallen on the burners, or the burners themselves could be "burned out." That would account for the yellow flame, soot, and hard start.

You should never use a heater that has the cabinet rusted through, especially in the firebox area. The amount of heat escaping and the amount of air entering from the bottom will not allow the heater to work safely.
You may also have parts of the refractory material that has deteriorated and fallen on the burners, or the burners themselves could be "burned out." That would account for the yellow flame, soot, and hard start.
Thanks. Any suggestion to close the rusted base? Is it replaceable?

I checked the refractory and it all looks really good. It was replaced about 8 years ago.