Finalizing Grecian pool design - Houston TX

Jul 5, 2023
houston texas
I have been quietly observing this wonderful community of pool enthusiasts for a bit now, soaking up knowledge from both seasoned experts and fellow newcomers like myself. It's truly a fantastic environment & I'm grateful for the wealth of knowledge shared here. As we near the final stages of finalizing materials and signing the contract for SWCG pool, I'd greatly appreciate your guidance on the attached pool bid.
We feel confident that we have chosen a reputable and experienced pool contractor who is licensed, insured and has a track record of delivering quality workmanship but at the end of the day this is HUGE investment and we want to make sure that we are getting the right equipment.
Would you kindly review the attached contract and offer any recommendations or suggestions ?

Here's the design, we are modifying a few things from the design shown:
- centering the spa, with symmetrical cutouts on the far end mirroring the design of the pool & add round connecting section between the the scalloped parts to maintain visual harmony and balance.
- remove the fireplace included in the design below
1707959130398.png

We are thrilled to be finalizing the design & selecting materials for a new pool this Saturday! So excited but I must admit, I am feeling a bit intimated by the process and the myriad possibilities of missteps. Looking forward to learning from you experts! Thank you in advance for your guidance!

Attachments

• pool quote (2).pdf
    352.3 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: newdude
You will get more views and comments if you post your pool quote as images that can be directly viewed.

Pentair has declared the EasyTouch system obsolete. Do not accept obsolete equipment. Insist on the IntelliCenter pool/spa bundle that includes the IntelliChlor integrated with the IC40 cell.

Be aware that Pentair IntelliBrite and Microbrite lights have reliability issues and fail within a few years.

I have little confidence in a builders attention to details when they have typos in the boiler plate of their contract.

I would never give a builder full payment before plaster. I want a 10% holdback until the pool is filled and all equipment is operational.

Also be aware that they only cap your sprinklers so expect to pay several thousand dollars to fix that. What about fence repair?

I would also be curious of the details on the lifetime warranty for the referral.

How do you feel about Richard's? I interviewed them and wasn't impressed. Their prices were also significantly higher than their peers.

Think carefully about depths. 3.5' is very shallow. I'd suggest 4' for the shallow end. 6' is awkward since it's too deep for people to stand but to shallow for diving, etc. It will become the least used area of your pool. I'd suggest 5' or commit to a true deep end.

All the lights should point away from the house/main seating area.

I recommend deleting the tab feeder, upgrading to the CCP520, and getting an IC60.

It is a great design and agree the spa placed in middle may be more pleasing design.
Some points to consider
  1. Have you asked for references and either talked to the client or physically seen a pool that the contractor completed?
  2. Request that the 2 skimmers be independently plumbed back to the equipment pad
  3. Upgrade to the Model 520 filter as it is just a small incremental cost as it will help reduce time between cleanings in the future
  4. Upgrade to the Model IC60 saltwater chlorine generator as it will provide more flexibiltiy to maintaining pump run time with chlorine production throughout the seasons. It is a small incremental cost.
  5. Upgrade to the IntelliCenter Automation - that is the latest technology and best to handle all future automation software improvements. Also Pentair offers a package of IntelliCenter, an IC60 and 2 Automated control valves which is at a discount to the individual prices.
  6. Always hold back a minimum of 10% of the final contract price until the punch list is completed. No matter how good or reliable the builder is, this is your only method to force the final issues to be completed. If you read some of the other construction threads, there is always some delays in equipment delivery or issues and they need to have motivation to complete the contract in it’s entirety.

Reactions: .ben
Also Pentair offers a package of IntelliCenter, an IC60 and 2 Automated control valves which is at a discount to the individual prices.

Pentair IntelliCenter bundle comes with an IC40 cell. There is no Pentair SKU for an IntelliCenter bundle with an IC60 cell.

Some sellers will swap the IC40 for an IC60 for an upcharge but that is up to the seller.

If the builder will not swap the cells for a reasonable upcharge then use the IC40 that comes with the bundle and replace it with an IC60 when it needs replacement.

Reactions: HermanTX
Agree on 3.5, we did that and it's quite annoying. We did 5.5 for the deep end and you can canon ball in, but diving isn't safe. 6 was too deep for our family (all short).

• What is the type of plaster? Signature 1 doesn't define if it's pebble/quartz? Make sure it is a pebble finish, not mar cite/quartz.
  • 6 jets in a spa is basic, consider bumping that up if you plan to use it for therapeutic purposes.
  • Agree on the EZ Touch, probably hardware they have in their warehouse that they are trying to get rid of. Not ideal to start off with outdated hardware for support and replacement parts. Unless they are giving it away not worth it, negotiate the upgrade.
  • For $120K it seems quite expensive given your pool has no fire, no wall with features, no fire pit, no infinity edge spa. I've seen a lot of quotes from Houston area builders and this is quite pricey.
  • Also didn't see what type of cleaner is included, ditch any booster pump type and go robotic.
I've interviewed this builder, and ended up not choosing them.

We sincerely value and are truly grateful for your expert feedback. Thank you very much for guiding us through this process.
Emailed PB for updated quote with following modifications:
- equipment: IntelliCenter pool/spa bundle that includes the IntelliChlor integrated with the IC40 cell (with option to get IC60) & filter: Model 520 filter & IntelliCenter Automation.
-asking about the sprinkler system : what will be done to keep the remaining grass going ? (should I get a landscaper to come out now to get an estimate to "fix" the sprinkler system or wait until after the pool is done?
- Requesting that the 2 skimmers be independently plumbed back to the equipment pad. Also asking for room to add a chiller later to the equipment (how hard is it to add a chiller if we want to later? Our neighbors put a pool in 2 years ago and tell me that when its super hot the pool doesn't feel refreshing. "Tepid bath water" is the exact term if I recall.

Great suggestion: Asking about hold back a minimum of 10% of the final contract price? I was quite nervous about the payments as well.

Regarding depth: kids are tall, 6'2" (14 year) & 5'5" (12) so wanted to go deep on far end to support canon balls & help ensure that while I am in the spa I don't get splashed on. What would be your recommendation in terms of depth for the far end (7' or more)? Kids & DH are swimmers, so want to ensure that they have swim lanes to compete.
I am short, 5'2", so 4' starting depth sounds perfect (or is 4'5" perfectly comfortable?)

@kimkats: pictures this Saturday when we meet with PB
@ajw22: will post the next quote in body of message in this Saturday's update.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
G,

I would not recommend a "lite" EasyTouch to my worst enemy. :mrgreen:

Either get a Real EasyTouch, or get the new IntelliCenter. In either case, you need to get the package that comes with the Internal SWCG power supply, and a load center for all your circuit breakers, and the salt cell, and valve actuators. (No one in their right mind would install an EasyTouch lite system...)

IntelliFlo3 is a great pump.
I'd go with the larger 520 cartridge filter, but the 420 will work.

Two skimmers is good.

Good luck with your new pool build..

Thanks,

Jim R.

How do you feel about Richard's? I interviewed them and wasn't impressed. Their prices were also significantly higher than their peers.

Think carefully about depths. 3.5' is very shallow. I'd suggest 4' for the shallow end. 6' is awkward since it's too deep for people to stand but to shallow for diving, etc. It will become the least used area of your pool. I'd suggest 5' or commit to a true deep end.

All the lights should point away from the house/main seating area.

I recommend deleting the tab feeder, upgrading to the CCP520, and getting an IC60.
Thank you for sharing your insights and experiences with Richards'. Since we are new to the area we used BBB to look for pool builders who service our area. Would you please recommend reputabale builders we should consider? We are also talking to Regal (as they built our neighbors pool).

For landscaping, set aside $ so they can come in an properly grade the terrain after the pool is done. The PB will only do a rough grade (and by rough I mean least possible effort).
Your landscaper should include sprinkler repairs, grading, sod replacement or hardscapes. Ideal to have them involved early on so they can capture how the sprinklers are now and re-design after the pool is in place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grecian pool TX
Thank you for sharing your insights and experiences with Richards'. Since we are new to the area we used BBB to look for pool builders who service our area. Would you please recommend reputabale builders we should consider? We are also talking to Regal (as they built our neighbors pool).

I found my awesome PB via neighborhood Facebook group and Google reviews (100% 5 star). They mostly service the Katy & Cypress areas.

I would not consider BBB a great resource to find a good builder, although it may help eliminate builders to consider.

Also asking for room to add a chiller later to the equipment (how hard is it to add a chiller if we want to later? Our neighbors put a pool in 2 years ago and tell me that when its super hot the pool doesn't feel refreshing. "Tepid bath water" is the exact term if I recall.
Chillers are bulky. Ensure you add 4-6ft to end of your pad to accommodate the chiller and plumbing. If you have the type of chiller you want to can review their installation guide for minimum requirements. Also, it is said that chillers can be noisy when operating so consider that. If your neighbor has a chiller go look at the setup.

Water depth=measurement from the botttom of the pool to the middle of skimmer opening. Some people measure it from the bottom of the pool to the underside of the coping. You loose quite a few inches of water depth that way.

Okay so after saying that lets talk your pool depth. It is long enough I would go 4'5" to 7'. The reason is the kid will love swimming down to pick up things. It is also relaxing to "sit" on the bottom of the pool under all of that quiet water!

The longer the pool is the more gradual the sloop will be.

Now go look for Watermelon Ball! It is the best pool game out there!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.