Extra clean (UV?) pools in the Boston, MA area

dfmk

Gold Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Boston, MA
Hey guys,

I came across this forum and was stunned by the depth of knowledge on every pool-related topic that this forum offers. So I thought maybe you guys can help me out. My daughter was born with a non-working liver and at the age of 5 months she got a piece of my liver transplanted into her little body (you can read our story here: When a father gives the gift of life). She is doing great now, will soon celebrate her third birthday. She is very active and wants to do all the things her older sister is doing and that includes swimming in a pool. Problem is -- in order to keep her liver working and prevent rejection, her immune system is pretty heavily suppressed. The use of regular pools that are being disinfected with chlorine only is out of the question because of risk of parasites (e.g. cryptosporidium) that are not killed by chlorine, but are commonly found in pool water -- immunosuppressed individuals cannot get rid of these parasites once they contract them. Some literature suggests that UV systems are effective in killing these parasites, but as I understand public pools with UV systems are hard to come by.

As I understand a lot of folks from the pool installation and maintenance business hang out on this forum, so I figured I'd ask: do you guys know of any pools in the Boston, MA area that are equipped with UV sanitation? Ideally it would be a pool that is not very crowded, frequently and thoroughly tested and uses modern equipment. Even if this pool is not totally public (e.g. belongs to a hotel or a health club) that will be good to know too -- worst come to worst I can rent a room or get a membership there if that's what it takes to gain access.

If you have any other thoughts on the subject I'd appreciate them. We are really trying to give her as much of a normal life as we can given the endless limitations of immunosuppression and we feel that having access to a safe pool will bring her a ton of joy.

Thanks in advance!
Daniel

ChemGeek presented a discussion in this thread - see post #3 -- cryptosporidium parasite

If you had your own pool and were very strict on whom entered it - his discussion implies this can be managed.

Hope others chime in -- good luck.

Thank you mknauss. Good information. Yes, I understand that the likelihood of infection is low, but the damage it does to an immonocompromised person is so great that one can't take chances. Good to see that the link you shared validates some of the notions I had about crypto and what to do to avoid it. Now I just need to find a pool that does one of the things described there. Appreciate the response!

Thanks for posting that link to your family's story. A miracle indeed and what a beautiful little girl you have (I have three boys and my daughter just turned 1 yr old two months back).

As for your circumstance at hand, I can offer no suggestions on a public pool. Obviously your daughters health and safety is paramount and so I would say stay away from public pools. While they'll all say they follow local health codes, etc., I have never been in one that I thought was properly cared for! I'm currently on vacation at a water park and, even in regulation-central California, I still think the pool here is gross.

Do you have the room (and the budget) to get a small above ground pool like an Intex Ultra-Frame? You could easily ditch the cheapo parts that come with it and install your own sanitation/filtration system (chlorine and UV) and have a fun pool for the kids. Plenty of folks on here could give you lots of advice on how to make it easy to setup and take down for the cold MA winters. And, best of all, it would be YOUR pool and you'd know precisely how clean and safe it is.

Good luck and good job, Dad :thumleft:

Thanks so much for the advice and the kind words, Matt! We live in an apartment, so don't really have room for our own pool. But I will definitely look into it -- may be the in-laws, who have a small backyard, can host it. Not knowing ANYTHING about pools and assuming the pool is outside, I am wondering how would we keep it clean. Is there a way to keep it covered when not in use? I am guessing if we keep it open it's only a matter of time before we find a squirrel or a racoon in it :) Then there's stuff like bird droppings... Or is it silly to worry about it, given that millions of homeowners have outdoor pools and deal with it somehow?..

Sorry for my utter ignorance and thanks again for the reply!

First off----------------SUPER DAD!!!! :super: The love for your children shows through!

I would not even take a chance on ANY public pool no matter what they say :( They can say the sky is purple but that does not make it true.

We can/will help you get the pool set up and kept balanced. You can cover it. It might be a pain to find just the right way to keep it covered but your in laws might like it so much they will not need to keep it covered!

Good luck and let us know when we can get to work helping you set up the pool!

Kim:kim:

Residential pools stay pretty clean for the most part. Sure you can find the occasional dead squirrel in the pool or some such unfortunate critter BUT that's what chlorine is for. Chlorine, when properly used, is quite frankly the most powerful and efficient water sanitizer on the planet. It is actually the advent of water chlorination in the beginning of the last century that is at the top of the list of public health achievements. More lives have been saved through the production and distribution of clean drinking water than any other technology, even vaccines.

When operating a pool, there is always a chlorine residual maintained in the water and so the water is always sanitized. The pump and filter give you the mechanical filtration one needs to remove particulate from the water. Chlorine is also a powerful oxidizer and so it destroys most organic contaminants and renders them mostly inert. And one actually wants to leave a pool uncovered as that allows a lot of the oxidized organic chemicals to out gas from the water. UV-A and UV-B from the sun combine with chlorine to help further destroy contaminants and, in a system you would use, the germicidal UV-C from a mercury lamp would kill any stubborn pathogens like crypto. If that system were coupled with a coagulating agent (like the SeaKlear PRS system), the water in that pool would be healthier than tap water for drinking in some places in the US!!

It might indeed be worth asking a relative if they'd spare some yard space for a pool you would promise to care for....they give up the yard space in return for their own personal cabana-boy and pool service ;)

Wow, thank you guys for such willingness to help! So this gives me a plan of action -- I will research different size options and pay a visit to the in-laws later this week to see if there is enough room in their backyard to fit one of these pools in. It is possible that some landscaping changes will be needed, in which case I will need to postpone the project till next spring. And I will definitely turn to the community here for all kinds of advice. THANK YOU guys again!

In the mean time, if anyone can think of obsessively disinfected and maintained pools within driving distance from Boston (although having read the posts above I am realizing that a pool that is clean enough for my daughter doesn't yet exist), I'd appreciate a pointer.

I think your in-laws will love it when you show up with contractors spray paint and a tape measure and you start marking up their lawn with the outline of the pool and pool deck. Don't forget to leave space for the outdoor kitchen with minibar...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bigevilgrape, cool re: Job Lot deals! Now -- the question to all is: which type did you guys have in mind when we were talking about easy assembly/disassembly -- the "easy set pool" or "metal frame pool"?

JoyfulNoise, lol! If you only knew how small their backyard really is..

Thinking this through, I am wondering about other, non-technical aspects of this project. First is the liability aspect of having a pool on your property. The backyard is completely open, no fencing or anything -- would we need to install safeguards around the pool to prevent neighbors' kids from using it without our knowledge and potentially drowning in it? Also, will the in-laws be subject to any new regulations if they installed the pool? Pool permits, town inspections and such?

Great to hear your story and how it has a happy ending.

The problem with UV sanitation is that it only works on the water passing through the plumbing. All the water in the pool is a potential risk factor. So even if it's clean and clear, with a great UV system and good chlorination. It only takes one kid hopping in the pool with something on his swimsuit.... I just don't think a public pool could work, sadly.

Regulations depend on where you live. You almost certainly need a fence and permit. Even if you don't need one, getting one would be a good idea. Yes. There are definitely liability issues... When I closed on my house with the pool, the lawyer gave me only one piece of advice "get more liability coverage".

Got any friends with pools? You could buy them a UV system and schedule a "swim time".

I hope you find something that works.

My wife has Myasthenia gravis (an auto- immune disease). She also gets chemo every 8 weeks and is immonocompromised.

I built an inground Salt Water pool (for my wife) (chlorine generated by the salt water and electrical current) and keep the pool very clean.

Swimming is her favorite thing to do when she can....

Anyway we are located in Ashford CT - below Sturbridge MA. You are welcome to contact me and come down and visit and swim anytime.
We have a large house, plenty of accommodations and often have guests for the night and weekends to swim and hang out.

I know its not downtown Boston, but if you want to take a trip for a day, night or weekend - please send me a note or PM.

Blake.

My wife has Myasthenia gravis (an auto- immune disease). She also gets chemo every 8 weeks and is immonocompromised.

I built an inground Salt Water pool (for my wife) (chlorine generated by the salt water and electrical current) and keep the pool very clean.

Swimming is her favorite thing to do when she can....

Anyway we are located in Ashford CT - below Sturbridge MA. You are welcome to contact me and come down and visit and swim anytime.
We have a large house, plenty of accommodations and often have guests for the night and weekends to swim and hang out.

I know its not downtown Boston, but if you want to take a trip for a day, night or weekend - please send me a note or PM.

Blake.

TFP does not get any better than this!!! WOW! Oh so kind and sweet! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Wow, you are amazing guys!

Fingaling, thanks for your input regarding the regulations/liability side of the project. If anything, this is what seems like the biggest obstacle (not insurmountable, I am sure) to building our own pool.

And Blake -- thank you so so much for your generous invitation! So kind of you. Who knows -- maybe we will in fact take you up on it one day. Thank you again! Really hope your wife's health improves.

When operating a pool, there is always a chlorine residual maintained in the water and so the water is always sanitized. The pump and filter give you the mechanical filtration one needs to remove particulate from the water. Chlorine is also a powerful oxidizer and so it destroys most organic contaminants and renders them mostly inert. And one actually wants to leave a pool uncovered as that allows a lot of the oxidized organic chemicals to out gas from the water. UV-A and UV-B from the sun combine with chlorine to help further destroy contaminants and, in a system you would use, the germicidal UV-C from a mercury lamp would kill any stubborn pathogens like crypto. If that system were coupled with a coagulating agent (like the SeaKlear PRS system), the water in that pool would be healthier than tap water for drinking in some places in the US!!

While I was mulling the possibility of installing a makeshift pool in my in-laws' backyard, I talked to a friend who already has an in-ground pool on her property. As I understand, the pool is currently being disinfected only with the most basic methods (chlorine?).

I told the friend that I will be happy to cover the cost of modernizing the pool sanitation systems to make it safe for my daughter to use. However, neither me nor my friend know what exactly such a modernization would entail and what would be the implications of embarking on this project. This is where I need your help, guys.

So I am wondering whether it is possible to retrofit all the multiple levels of disinfection that JoyfulNoise is describing above into an existing, potentially older, in-ground pool. What new equipment would need to be installed and what existing equipment will potentially need to be replaced? What kind of labor would go into this project? Is it the kind of work that can be done by an owner, or would a contractor need to do the installation? Would the ongoing maintenance routine need to change after the new systems are installed? Would the new systems be associated with higher maintenance expense?

Really looking forward to hearing your advice and THANK YOU in advance!

The items referenced by JoyfulNoise are readily available to the public. I did a quick Google search and you can buy what you need. The plumbing and electric needed for the UV system can be done or hired. You would need to research how big a UV unit you want, but I would think oversizing it would be a good idea. I saw some in the $600 range. The SeaKlear PRS is an additive process that enhances the filtration. Looks like that is available too.

I would think you would want the pool maintained from a chloronation standpoint to TFP standards. You would not want to fall into the trap that the UV sales folks say that you can use less 'chemicals -- ie bleach'.

Sounds like an adventure! Good Luck!

The items referenced by JoyfulNoise are readily available to the public. I did a quick Google search and you can buy what you need.

Thank you, mknauss. Could you please share the queries you were putting into Google? Being a complete ignoramus when it comes to pool equipment, I want to make sure I am researching the right terms.

uv systems for swimming pools

SeaKlear PRS

those are the two search terms I used. On the UV it appears the brand Delta comes up the most.

The SeaKlear system is a clarifier, so it would be a consumable item used often.

Please post your friends currebt pool details (size, shape, equipment pad items, filter, pump model, etc, etc). Pictures of the pad would help. We'll go from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.