CYA testing with T 2006

holdup1time

Jun 15, 2019
Houston Texas
Looking for some help on the proper way to test my CYA with my T 2006.

I've seen a few posts here about looking for the black dot while holding it at your waist level as you as standing up.

I've literally been working everyday since opening my pool and have had no time to read the manual...usually I'm a manual reading nerd :)

I have not been holding it at my waist.

I've been sitting in a chair, holding it in my lap, looking down for the black dot.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Hi holdup,
the CYA test is a light sensitive test, so theres a bit more to the right way to do it.
Test outside in natural light
Turn your back to the sun
Hold at waist level, or sitting down is fine if your eyes work well that way. the waist level bit is because mostly, peoples eyes focus better on obscure objects, like the faint black dot at about 3 feet away.

Since the test is light sensitive, one thing that will effect the accuracy of the test, is how you hold the tube. Hold it with 1 finger and your thumb, so light can pass through the side of the tube.

If you hold it with several fingers or grip it with your hand, and block the light, your testing will have less accuracy.

Reactions: Psycho1122
Hi holdup,
the CYA test is a light sensitive test, so theres a bit more to the right way to do it.
Test outside in natural light
Turn your back to the sun
Hold at waist level, or sitting down is fine if your eyes work well that way. the waist level bit is because mostly, peoples eyes focus better on obscure objects, like the faint black dot at about 3 feet away.

Since the test is light sensitive, one thing that will effect the accuracy of the test, is how you hold the tube. Hold it with 1 finger and your thumb, so light can pass through the side of the tube.

If you hold it with several fingers or grip it with your hand, and block the light, your testing will have less accuracy.
Thanks Dave!
Ok I've been doing it wrong...will test first thing tomorrow morning the right way...wonder how off my readings have been :oops:
Thank you so much for the good tips!!!! (y)

yw holdup

due the the 'difficulty' in seeing when the dot actaully disappears, what a lot of us do, is this.
do the test, then pour the solution back into the mixing bottle and do it again and then again. After 3 goes at it, take the average and consider that the CYA level.

And also to mention, that because of the several variables, such as amount of available light, the angle of the light, the water temp and how well people make a determination that the dot is disappeared, the repeatability of the test can be subjective. Thats why we do it a few times and take the average.

of all the pool water testes that are performed, the CYA is actually, the most technically scientific of them all. Cool stuff eh?

Reactions: Psycho1122
yw holdup

due the the 'difficulty' in seeing when the dot actaully disappears, what a lot of us do, is this.
do the test, then pour the solution back into the mixing bottle and do it again and then again. After 3 goes at it, take the average and consider that the CYA level.

And also to mention, that because of the several variables, such as amount of available light, the angle of the light, the water temp and how well people make a determination that the dot is disappeared, the repeatability of the test can be subjective. Thats why we do it a few times and take the average.

of all the pool water testes that are performed, the CYA is actually, the most technically scientific of them all. Cool stuff eh?
Great idea! Yes I am totally "nerding out" on all my water chemistry/testing...my wife thinks I'm going overboard...just keep enjoying the nice clean pool hunny...it just magically takes care of itself :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.