CYA Testing Indoors vs Outdoors - Water Temps

Scoop

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2012
Dallas, TX

It's been a few years since I tested CYA in/outdoors, water temps, etc so I decided to repeat the tests to see my results.

I switched to Indoor Testing July '20 after numerous testing showed that the differences between Outdoor Testing, on a clear day around Solar Noon (Meridian) with my back to the Sun with the Taylor Tube waist-high, were either the same or with 1-2 tests, a little higher Outdoors (50 Indoors vs 60 Outdoors, etc).

The main reason I switched to Indoor Testing is to eliminate outdoor variables such as cloud cover, the position of the Sun when testing (Solar Noon vs earlier or later), and the differences of Sunlight in Summer vs Winter.

I test in my Kitchen directly under my Kitchen Fluorescent Light (double light fixture) shielding the Taylor Tube with one hand to (try to) simulate outside indirect light.

I also switched to the Taylor #4088 Cylinder with movable slide to measure (movable Black Dot) at about the same time. I prefer it although it does use more Reagent but the trade-off (vs pouring in/out with the small vial) is worth (for me) the extra Reagent use.

Here's the test results I made yesterday (Sat 02-11) :

Taylor R-0013 Reagent

1st Test 11am (Solar Noon 12:40p) Clear Sky

Outside Temp 43°

Water Temp 50°

30 Sec Mix CYA 60

2 Min wait CYA 60

To date, I've not seen much difference between testing after a 30 second mix vs waiting for 2 min.

CYA In & Outdoors CYA same results.

For my "warm water to room temp" test:

I waited ~3 Hrs to allow the sample water to warm up close to room temp (75°); it warmed up to ~66° . The Test results were about the same, maybe slightly higher when the sample water was cold. Both tests were 55-60 with the Sliding Dot Taylor Tube.

For those that use the "Blue Devil" CYA Test Kit, I made some comparisons a couple of years ago & posted the results. Here's the post again:

09/30/19

CYA Test Comparisons: All Tests indoors - Kitchen Fluorescent Light

Pentair/Taylor Tube:

Pentair Reagent:
0 Min: 50 2 Min: 50
Taylor R-0013:
Blue Devil Reagent:

Blue Devil Tube:

Blue Devil Reagent:
2 Min: 40
Pentair Reagent:
0 Min: 30 2 Min: 35
Taylor R-0013:
0 Min: 35 2 Min: 30

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.