CYA Testing ... there's nothing better than this?!

garroyo130

Mar 24, 2023
Austin, TX
So as the title shows, I'm wondering if there are any alternative tests to the CYA tube.

My issue is that my pool had no CYA and after adding the 4lbs recommended per pool math to get me to 4.5, I can still overflow the tube and somewhat see the black dot.

When I tested using the known samples, I was also somewhat able to see the black dot at the stated CYA level.

Are there any other options? Am I doing this wrong? Is there anything in particular I should look for? Any/all help appreciated!

Reactions: Geminisq
If you added 4 lbs of stabilizer to the 12000 gallon pool, you are at 40 ppm cya. Move forward with that level in Poolmath. Test for it next week.

The test method is the best there is for a residential pool owner.

I found that if you watch the dot as you fill it, your brain 'fills it in' for you. I think it's partly because you're looking down a tube at a cloudy thing expecting to see something....so you do.

Best solution I've found so far :
  1. Prep your solution as you normally would. (Half and Half with the reagent, shake, let it sit for 30 seconds shake again).
  2. Stand in bright light, preferably from behind (you don't want direct sunlight on the tube)
  3. Without looking down the tube, fill to the lowest reading you expect - for me, that's usually the 50 mark.
  4. Quickly hold the tube at waist level, and look down the tube for the dot.
  5. DON'T STARE...it's either there, or it's not. If you're taking more than a glance, you're staring ;)
  6. If the dot was there, fill to the next mark and try again, until you think the mark is gone.
  7. Note the value
  8. Return the liquid to the mixing bottle and repeat the test - you should get the same (or close) result.
4Lbs of dry stabilizer in a 12k should raise it by about 40 points...which is almost 3/4 of the test tube for me

Edit : because I'm an idiot that can't spell

Last edited:
If there was a better test.....we'd all be using it! As said above....do not stare. You can also pour your sample back and forth 2 or 3 times and take an average of what your eyeballs say. It'll get more natural with practice.

Establish dominance. Sprinkle a bunch of googely eyes on the patio and crush them with your heel one by one as you test. Mr Funnyman won't be laughing for long. (y)

• Wow
Reactions: SJPoe and Geminisq
I think the real deal is that it really doesn't matter THAT much whether its 40 or 60. What really matters is if its 40 or 140.
I think once you get the hang of it, it does get easier, and once you get it to a certain level, it doesn't swing daily like FC does.
Don't expect it to be COMPLETELY gone...is it mostly gone, like you have to LOOK for it...

Essentially the test works by precipitating solids out of the solution, which make it hard to see the dot. With the right lighting, you'll always see the dot...

If you added 4 lbs of stabilizer to the 12000 gallon pool, you are at 40 ppm cya. Move forward with that level in Poolmath. Test for it next week.

As Mr. mknauss said....if you added 4lbs, and your pool is 12k gallons, you're at (or close to) 40ppm - chemistry and math work like that ;)

Reactions: Bperry and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.