CYA question

The recommended method is to measure out the CYA, and put it in an old sock (one with no holes in it). You can hang the sock in front of a return jet, but so that it does not touch the side of the pool. An alternative is to put the CYA-filled sock in the skimmer with the pump running. Either way, massage it regularly to help the CYA dissolve. If it's not all gone by the time your pump turns off, you can remove it, save the whole thing in a plastic bag, and carry on the next day.

If your filter is near needing cleaning, clean it before you do the CYA. Either way, don't clean it for 48 hours after adding the CYA.

As soon as you add it, assume your new CYA level based on the added amount. You can test a few days later, and you should see the increase.

Cheers!

Thanks for the input on how to add the CYA to the pool. Now I am trying to figure out the best level for my pool. The charts say minimum of 70 for a SWG pool but I worry that is to high as it makes it very difficult to resolve an algae problem if you get one. I am think somewhere in the range of 40 to 60.

The charts say minimum of 70 for a SWG pool but I worry that is to high as it makes it very difficult to resolve an algae problem if you get one.
That is true, however if your SWG is operating properly to maintain the correct target FC level, algae shouldn't be an issue. The elevated CYA reduces initial FC demands like those who manually dose, and spreads it out over time to help the SWG work more consistently and efficiently. There are many, many threads here on the forum about "Higher CYA for SWG". Just take a peak at a few of them and you'll see why we recommend it.

I can understand your thinking because I went through the same thoughts when I started out, but Pat explains it well above.

With a lot of sunshine, CYA at 70 to 80 is really helpful. If I could do my learning stage all over again, I would have SLAMd the pool to perfection, and then raised my CYA to 80 right off the bat.

In practice, it only takes more chlorine at the start of a SLAM when CYA is high. The total amount of chlorine you end up consuming is not much more than it would be at lower CYA. You get a fairly long "chlorine holiday" at the end of a high-CYA/FC SLAM as it comes down.

George,

I suggest that you use a ladies knee-high stocking... In my experience, they work about 100% faster than a dirty old sock... I hang mine in front of a return... They come in a box of 8 or 10 and the box lasts me a season.. I just throw each stocking away when the CYA has dissolved.

Thanks,

Jim R.

• Haha
Reactions: needsajet
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.