Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC4 (RC-52)
I guess a 2 part question
Why is it recommended to keep cya so high with a swg? I'm at 35ppm now as per my pool store. My free chlorine is consistently around 1.8ppm I raise the swg and its seems to have zero effect in raising the fc

SWGs generate chlorine in gas form that operates more efficiently and remains balanced better with an elevated CYA level. It also helps to use a lower output % which may save life on the cell. Some SWG makers are now starting to acknowledge this fact that TFP has proclaimed for many years now. An FC of 1.8 is also too low when you look at the FC/CYA Levels. You won't find these references at your local pool store. They are happy to provide free (unreliable) testing, poor advice, and sell over-priced items. TFP has no such profit-driven agenda. Our advice, charts, and methods are free, backed by science, thousands of pools, various types/scenarios, and years of success. You can't mix the two (TFP and store advice). Also see Pool Care Basics.

Reactions: Lpv77
A higher CYA level will protect the available FC from the sun so that it lasts longer in your water. In doing so, it will be easier to maintain a higher FC level without putting any additional stress on your SWG. If anything, it will actually allow you to run at a lower SWG cell output level and extend cell life. Both your FC and your CYA are too low for a SWG right now. The pool store will gladly sell you a replacement cell early if you want to run at their recommended levels... or you can listen to the other owners that have nothing to gain but your happiness.

I did a drain and refill earlier this year and had my CYA around 50 and noticed my SWG was struggling to keep FC at 4 or 5 turned up well over 50% power.
Raised CYA to 70 and a week later with no other changes my FC was around 9 or 10. Have since raised my CYA to around 80 and no issues holding 5 with the SWG on low.

My Aquarite system is 15 years old and right on the cover it specifies a minimum CYA of 60 ppm, so it’s not a new thing at all. I tried running at a lower CYA for my first season ( back in the old BBB Pool Forum days!). It just doesn’t work. Basically, the answer is “because that’s what the instructions call for” (and it works! :)).

Reactions: markayash and Lpv77
I did a drain and refill earlier this year and had my CYA around 50 and noticed my SWG was struggling to keep FC at 4 or 5 turned up well over 50% power.
Raised CYA to 70 and a week later with no other changes my FC was around 9 or 10. Have since raised my CYA to around 80 and no issues holding 5 with the SWG on low.
Cool. Thats what I need to do. Can I add a stabilized chlorine to raise the cya while booting my fc?

It's been so hot and sunny here I had to do some adjustments. Was running the RJ-30 at 70% for 8 hrs most of June and then had to do a quickie slam when I noticed signs of algae on the white steps. Boosted the unit for 80% on 11 hours since and this morning's test was 5.2 FC and crystal clear. I can live with that.

Cool. Thats what I need to do. Can I add a stabilized chlorine to raise the cya while booting my fc?

Just make sure it’s not calcium based ( maybe ok if you have a plaster pool and your Calcium needs boosting also ). Might hang on to a little for emergency’s also.

Pool stabilizer is so freaking expensive, why use to cost me $9 is now $27!

Reactions: darkrider

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I just left my pool store and they argued with me about raising my cya. They didnt even want to sell me more stabilizer. I bought some down the road and will be raising to to about 60ppm. I called the manufacturer and the tech said he personally runs his system at 50-60ppm. Like you guys he said don't go to the pool store and do all your own testing, which I do. I just go to the store so its on record they tested for warranty purposes

Reactions: markayash
Yes, seems some plaster companies are wanting that "professionally tested" history kept. My neighbor has been paying $275/month pool maintenance from the PB for several years for same reason. At some point, you just have to take control of your own pool and keep your own records, as yours and store's eventually won't recommend the same care schedules.

I can tell you that the method is working great here. My CYA is 70 and my FC is running 6-10 with the SWG. Can't smell it, skin and hair feel fine, and my daughter that produces no protective oil on her skin has been absolutely fine. Water is CRYSTAL clear. Numbers have been stable and predictable. I have tested it a ton in the first few weeks of having it up and running and now I am at the point that the tests are more of a verification of what I already know. I run my SWG on the lowest setting for 12 hours or less per day. With the element being $600 I am hoping for a long life from it.

Where is Ridge? Please add the state to your profile.
<<------

What test kit are you using?
Test Kits Compared

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing help based on your pool without having to ask each time.

When you go to the PS, its best to just ask for what you need and not try to explain why you need it. Most PS have no clue and only believe what the franchise or suppliers tell them. There are there to mostly sell you magic chemicals you don't need.

Reactions: markayash and Lpv77
Where is Ridge? Please add the state to your profile.
<<------

What test kit are you using?
Test Kits Compared

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing help based on your pool without having to ask each time.

When you go to the PS, its best to just ask for what you need and not try to explain why you need it. Most PS have no clue and only believe what the franchise or suppliers tell them. There are there to mostly sell you magic chemicals you don't need.
I'll update my profile. Im using the Taylor 2006c

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.