Converting to Salt based pool?

Regarding the cost comparison, do you have to run the pump more? If so, I would assume that shortens the lifespan of the pump, and raises the electric bill somewhat. How often do you have to replace the controller? Also, an economist would tell you you have to consider what return you would get on that initial $1500...
Pump run times will vary depending on a variety of things. I found out I was running my pump for too long anyway when I put the SWG in. I reset it to run the amount of time that I needed to get enough FC from the SWG, and that turned out to be enough time to cover my filtration needs. Now I have a single speed pump still and others have VSP pumps and run them 24/7 cause it just doesn't cost that much more. In that case they need a second timer to run the SWG or they run it at a very low output. The SWG itself doesn't draw that much power.

I have never had to replace my controller.. I put it in back in 2005. The only reason to replace it is if I wanted to redo the whole setup with more automation, I'm fine with the way it is, and it shows no signs of pooping out.

And as to that economist.. I would tell him this: My time is money, I bill hourly. And the amount of time/money I saved with a lighter pool maintenance schedule with the SWG paid for the $1500 upfront cost in the first year. And THAT made ALL the chlorine free according to my ROI ledger sheet.

Reactions: reggiehammond
B,

Do you have ScreenLogic? Do you use your phone, PC or tablet to control your pool? Or do you use the main panel, or do you have a Pentair remote??

Thanks,

Jim R.
I have screenlogic windows software and also phone app. I control using Phone app. I tried these settings using PC app, not sure if it is correct. Can you please review and advice the settings? I have pump1 for Pool and Spa, Pump 2 for fountain.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 4
B,

ScreenLogic makes this dirt simple...

Basically, each "Circuit" can have a speed assigned to it. So, in your case, anytime you are in the pool mode your pump is going to be running at 80 GPM which is about 4 or 5 times faster than it needs to run.. Personally I never use the GPM, I use RPM.. You can use whatever you want.

Because an idiot set up your system, anytime you are in the pool mode that slowest the pump will run is 80 GPM.. This is because the pump will run the fastest speed it is being told to run. In your current set up, pool mode says to run at 80 GPM, if you turn on Pool low, the pump will not slow down.

I like to set things up differently than the guy that did yours.. I like to have my Pool Circuit and Spa Circuit set up for the lowest speed I ever want them to run.. then I can add speeds to make the pump run faster..

Here are my speeds.. I am just showing this to show you how it works.. You need to decide want speeds or GPM work for you and your pool.

You can see that when I am in the Pool mode my pump will run at about 1250 RPM...

As an example let's use the follow schedule.. (This is a silly schedule, just used to show you how things would work)

Pool to be on from 8 am until 8 pm.. (1250 RPM)
Skim low to be on from 10 am until 11 am (1500 RPM)
Skim high to be on from 1 pm until 4 pm (2000 RPM)
Waterfall to be on from 2 pm until 3 pm.. (2800 RPM)

The pump would start at 8 am and run at 1250 RPM until 10 am, when Skim Low come on and the speed increases to 1500 RPM. At 11 am when Skim Low shuts off, the speed would drop back to 1250. At 1 pm, Skim High comes on and the speed increases to 2000 RPM until 2 pm, when the waterfall comes on and increases the speed to 2800 until 3 pm, when the waterfall turns off and the speed drops back to 20000. At 3 pm, Skim High shut off and the speed drops again to 1250 until the pump shuts off at 8 pm.

Does that make sense??

You just need to decide what speeds or GPM you want to run and when..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mguzzy
B,

Basically, each "Circuit" can have a speed assigned to it. So, in your case, anytime you are in the pool mode your pump is going to be running at 80 GPM which is about 4 or 5 times faster than it needs to run.. Personally I never use the GPM, I use RPM.. You can use whatever you want.

Because an idiot set up your system, anytime you are in the pool mode that slowest the pump will run is 80 GPM.. This is because the pump will run the fastest speed it is being told to run. In your current set up, pool mode says to run at 80 GPM, if you turn on Pool low, the pump will not slow down.

I like to set things up differently than the guy that did yours.. I like to have my Pool Circuit and Spa Circuit set up for the lowest speed I ever want them to run.. then I can add speeds to make the pump run faster..

Here are my speeds.. I am just showing this to show you how it works.. You need to decide want speeds or GPM work for you and your pool.

You can see that when I am in the Pool mode my pump will run at about 1250 RPM...

As an example let's use the follow schedule.. (This is a silly schedule, just used to show you how things would work)

The pump would start at 8 am and run at 1250 RPM until 10 am, when Skim Low come on and the speed increases to 1500 RPM. At 11 am when Skim Low shuts off, the speed would drop back to 1250. At 1 pm, Skim High comes on and the speed increases to 2000 RPM until 2 pm, when the waterfall comes on and increases the speed to 2800 until 3 pm, when the waterfall turns off and the speed drops back to 20000. At 3 pm, Skim High shut off and the speed drops again to 1250 until the pump shuts off at 8 pm.

Does that make sense??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Got it, original settings were using VS and I messed it up. I changed to RPM settings now. Thank you for the advice on this.
My pool builder disappeared and he messed up my pool color. It is Quartz plaster with light blue, can you advice if there is a way to get back the color or do I need to re-plaster. It is new pool 2 months old.
Thanks Jim.

Attachments

• 20210523_091055.jpg
    20210523_091055.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210523_091034.jpg
    20210523_091034.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 17
B,

I don't think you can do anything with it.. I think I would use it like it is for a year and get all your other issue resolved and then, it if still bothers then move to get it fixed.

That said I am not a plaster guy, so let's see if we can get some of our other members to chime in about your plaster issues..

Thanks,

Jim R.

The reason it happened was due to partial water filling at bottom which was stopped by me without filling full water as other construction work was going on during that time, the portion it was filled with water was showing dark color. Pool guy told that I need to use some chemicals to get color back, but what chemicals I am not sure.

As I already I Pentair Easytouch do I need to buy Intellichlor Power center or just circuit board to convert to salt system?
Before I convert to salt system do I need to balance the pool?

Last edited:
B,

You will need to buy the Power Center, or spend more money and buy all the parts to upgrade your EasyTouch to a saltwater unit.. It is a lot more than one board.

There is the Surge board, the SWCG transformer, the circuit breaker, the wiring, the plug to connect the cell to the ET, the RS-485 jumper cable... etc.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
B,

You will need to buy the Power Center, or spend more money and buy all the parts to upgrade your EasyTouch to a saltwater unit.. It is a lot more than one board.

There is the Surge board, the SWCG transformer, the circuit breaker, the wiring, the plug to connect the cell to the ET, the RS-485 jumper cable... etc.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you Jim, I just ordered IC40 and Power center. I need your help when it arrives for connection help.

Also regarding spillover automation I ordered Pentair Lube-Free Diverter Valve 2 Port PVC 2-2.5", please advice if it is ok as I could not find good price on Jandy. I have pipe size 2" PVC.
This needs to go before the check valve right? Attached is the picture.

Attachments

• 20210519_103403 333.jpg
    20210519_103403 333.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 2
B,

What brand is the check valve???

You can add the 2-way valve in series with the check valve or you can try to take the top and diverter valve out of the new valve and install it inside the body of the check valve. The goal here is to stop water from flowing through the pipe where the check valve is located.. You have a couple of options.

1. Install the new 2-way valve is series with the check valve.. (Best idea.. Would allow you turn things back on if ever needed)
2. Remove the check valve and install the 2-way valve in its place
3. Remove the guts for the 2-way valve and install them in the body of the check valve.
4. Cut out the check valve and cap off both lines.

Before cutting anything, make sure that the Spillway Function is set up and working..

Thanks

Jim R.

B,

What brand is the check valve???

You can add the 2-way valve in series with the check valve or you can try to take the top and diverter valve out of the new valve and install it inside the body of the check valve. The goal here is to stop water from flowing through the pipe where the check valve is located.. You have a couple of options.

1. Install the new 2-way valve is series with the check valve.. (Best idea.. Would allow you turn things back on if ever needed)
2. Remove the check valve and install the 2-way valve in its place
3. Remove the guts for the 2-way valve and install them in the body of the check valve.
4. Cut out the check valve and cap off both lines.

Before cutting anything, make sure that the Spillway Function is set up and working..

Thanks

Jim R.
It is Pentair brand 2 way valve...and I have Jandy check valve

Merged threads - TFP Mod
When I turn on Pump with Spa mode at high rpm like 3450, the speed is low without air blower on. What still comes from the jets but at low speeds. Not even seeing any bubbles.
I am curious if some plumbing is reversed or something else?
Please advice.

Attachments

• 20210519_103403 (1) 22.jpg
    20210519_103403 (1) 22.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210519_094927 (1).jpg
    20210519_094927 (1).jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
First 3 pictures are in the Pool mode, last 3 pictures are in the Spa mode.
Thank you Jim for your help.

Attachments

• 20210524_191606.jpg
    20210524_191606.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210524_191848.jpg
    20210524_191848.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210524_191854.jpg
    20210524_191854.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210524_191725.jpg
    20210524_191725.jpg
    710.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210524_191743.jpg
    20210524_191743.jpg
    697 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210524_191753.jpg
    20210524_191753.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 7
B,

Well, I don't see anything obvious.. Both valves are moving like they should..

Are both your pumps IntelliFlo pumps.. Maybe just the pics, but they look different.. :scratch:

I don't see any plumbing issues at the equipment pad.. But we have no way to tell how they did the spa plumbing at the spa itself. Do you just have eyeballs like in a pool or do you have actually jet that are installed back inside the gunite???

Thanks,

Jim R.

B,

Does that make sense??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,
Can I setup Spa for different speeds/rpm? When I setup circuit Spa low it is turning on Pool and not Spa, attached is the setting.

Attachments

• Capture 5.JPG
    Capture 5.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture 7.JPG
    Capture 7.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture 6.JPG
    Capture 6.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.