Converting to Salt based pool?

Hi,

I have few questions can you please advice.

1. Attached Picture 1. I did not get the option to drain the pool water using Pool Pump. Do you suggest to put something like a 3 way valve for future as an option to drain the water from Pool using Pool Pump if needed?
2. Attached Picture 2. Does the Chlorinator is bypassed when using in Spa mode? When I switch to spa mode it turns ON water to the right side which is Spa side but Chlorinator is on the left side which is Pool mode. Please advice if this correct setup.
3. Attached Picture 3: Marked circular ones, are those pool drains on the wall? I two at the bottom of the pool.
3. I want to covert my pool to salt system, please advice any pre steps or precautions to be taken care before converting? Do I need to balance the pool before converting?

Attachments

• Capture 10.JPG
    Capture 10.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210519_103403 333.jpg
    20210519_103403 333.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture 11.JPG
    Capture 11.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
You could put a 3 way valve where you have the red writing in pic 1, but based on how much those Jandy valves (the only one to get IMO) cost currently, you're probably better off buying a submersible pump like this one:

By using this, you don't have to worry about sucking air through your skimmer once the water level gets below it, plus you don't have to have the pool pump running to use it.

You are correct, that in spa mode, you are not getting any chlorine back to the pool the way it is currently set up.

I can't really tell what those are on the wall in pic 3. I though they were lights initially, but I guess not?

I was looking at the Pentair IC40 Intellichlor installation manual, they are suggesting to do vertical install for best performance and leave at least 12" straight pipe.
If I do vertical then I need to 12"+17" long vertical piping or can I do straight pipe 12" horizontal and then vertical install without extra piping?
Please suggest as I am also running short of space and thinking of vertical installation.

1622141119803.png

Attachments

• 1622141046791.png
    1622141046791.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 2
It usually has additives, like iron and has bit several members here.

Going forward use diamond brite and verify the bag says pure / 100% / etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, several people have reported the Clorox pool salt leaving bad iron stains in their pool after adding it. You can use regular water softener salt from any of the big box stores. Just make sure you get the blue bag which doesn't have any additives.

Reactions: mguzzy
I finally converted to salt based pool with all your help, thank you guys.
I attached before and after pictures, all I did myself plumbing. I messed up some initial plumbing and there was leak.
I have to re-work plumbing, except prime every where it looks good as per standard. 3 feet away from heater and vertical salt cell install. So far working good. Please let me know if any thoughts.

Attachments

• 20210519_094927 before.jpg
    20210519_094927 before.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210609_142507 after.jpg
    20210609_142507 after.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 12

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.