Can Pentair controllers recognize Sta-rite pumps?

VictorE

Aug 6, 2021
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi, I cannot seem to buy Pentair Intellifo3 vsf pump (sku 011076). I have already ordered a kit which will convert my intellitouch i7+3 to Pentair Intellicenter with equivalent number of outputs.

The sta-rite intellipro3 vsf pump (SKU 013076) is available to purchase now.

The motor itself can control two more items: say swg and water feature.

The controller will be able to control everything else; e.g., actuators, lights, booster pumps, heater, and other stuff.

The question is: whether Pentair intellicenter controller, will recognize Sta-rite intellipro3 vsf motor?

Alternatively, can I buy an Intelliflo3 pump from Houston. There is one guy in Arizona who is selling the Pentair Intellifo3 pump, but one has to physically buy it from his store.
Thanks,

Vick

Sta Rite is owned by Pentair. The pumps are the same. The Intellicenter will control them. No need for the I/O add on if using an Intellicenter.

Hi, I cannot seem to buy Pentair Intellifo3 vsf pump (sku 011076). I have already ordered a kit which will convert my intellitouch i7+3 to Pentair Intellicenter with equivalent number of outputs.

The sta-rite intellipro3 vsf pump (SKU 013076) is available to purchase now.

The motor itself can control two more items: say swg and water feature.

The controller will be able to control everything else; e.g., actuators, lights, booster pumps, heater, and other stuff.

The question is: whether Pentair intellicenter controller, will recognize Sta-rite intellipro3 vsf motor?

Alternatively, can I buy an Intelliflo3 pump from Houston. There is one guy in Arizona who is selling the Pentair Intellifo3 pump, but one has to physically buy it from his store.
Thanks,

Vick
Yes. Pentair owns StaRite now and the drive is the same. From the IntelliPro manual:
External Control Most Pentair automation systems and IntelliComm Communication Centers can remotely control the IntelliPro VSF pump. The pump’s communications address and other functions are accessible from the pump’s control panel. • RS-485 communication cable included

Victor,

The EasyTouch, IntelliTouch, and IntelliCenter can all control the IntelliFlo pumps as well as the IntelliPro pumps via a RS-485 com cable.

These guys have the IntelliFlo3 without the relay card, which you would not need at all if you have an IntelliCenter, in stock.

Pentair IntelliFlo3 VSF 3.0HP No tax, free shipping.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you for quick replies from the very resourceful people.

There is a problem which I recently discovered. The microcontroller has to be programmed to recognize any thing attached to it.

I am not sure how the microcontroller recognizes the pump: is it an identifier?

For example, Pentair is 011075 and 01176, whereas sta-rite is 013075 and 011076.
If I were to guess. The first three digits are the same. The only difference is in the 4th digit which is 1 for pentair and 3 for sta-rite.

Now, if the controller recognizes only 1st and 2nd digit as legitimate addresses for Intellifo3/intellipro3 then it will be no problem.

I recently discovered that my current intellitouch controller does not recognize the intelliflo vf pump, because it's microcontroller were not flashed with the current upgrades.

So, even an identical pump or some other slave equipment has to be recognized by the microcontroller.

Since, I am not too familiar with rs485 microcontroller programming, and how to program the microcontrollers these days. I am not sure if my fears are justified.

The last time I programmed an rs232 (similar serial bus), was in 1983 and I did not have a computer at that time.

I don't know how information is transmitted to the controller in simplex mode. There are only two data lines, and two power lines in the four pin connector.

In order to reverse engineer the data by these pumps, one needs a lab, good eyesight, and accurate manual dexterity: I have none of these.

I think the easiest way to check compatibility is to hook up a sta-rite pump to a pentair controller.
Has anyone done it?

Thank you I appreciate your quick replies!

Vick

Thank you for quick replies from the very resourceful people.

There is a problem which I recently discovered. The microcontroller has to be programmed to recognize any thing attached to it.

I am not sure how the microcontroller recognizes the pump: is it an identifier?

For example, Pentair is 011075 and 01176, whereas sta-rite is 013075 and 011076.
If I were to guess. The first three digits are the same. The only difference is in the 4th digit which is 1 for pentair and 3 for sta-rite.

Now, if the controller recognizes only 1st and 2nd digit as legitimate addresses for Intellifo3/intellipro3 then it will be no problem.

I recently discovered that my current intellitouch controller does not recognize the intelliflo vf pump, because it's microcontroller were not flashed with the current upgrades.

So, even an identical pump or some other slave equipment has to be recognized by the microcontroller.

Since, I am not too familiar with rs485 microcontroller programming, and how to program the microcontrollers these days. I am not sure if my fears are justified.

The last time I programmed an rs232 (similar serial bus), was in 1983 and I did not have a computer at that time.

I don't know how information is transmitted to the controller in simplex mode. There are only two data lines, and two power lines in the four pin connector.

In order to reverse engineer the data by these pumps, one needs a lab, good eyesight, and accurate manual dexterity: I have none of these.

I think the easiest way to check compatibility is to hook up a sta-rite pump to a pentair controller.
Has anyone done it?

Thank you I appreciate your quick replies!

Vick
Easiest is to call Pentair. The wait may be long. 1 800 831 7133

This pool was installed in 2009. It recognized the intelliflo motors.

I have another board, which is new but was manufactured in 2008 and it does not recognize the intelliflow motors.

I have two I door controllers, both recognize intelliflow motors, but need to be flashed with new version.

Thank you for your help,

Vick

I was wrong about the 2nd board, it was manufactured in 2007. I will attach photo.

Attachments

• 20220826_182247_resized.jpg
    20220826_182247_resized.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 0

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@VictorE I see from another thread that you're looking to update the firmware for your IntelliTouch to work with the Intelliflo. What version are you on now?
1.110 and 1.090. I have two boards. The first board is i7+3 which was installed with the pool.

The 2nd board is i9+3, I bought it as a backup, this is Version 1.090.

I have two indoor controllers, I can send you their photos as well.

Thanks for your help.

Vick

Victor,

The EasyTouch, IntelliTouch, and IntelliCenter can all control the IntelliFlo pumps as well as the IntelliPro pumps via a RS-485 com cable.

These guys have the IntelliFlo3 without the relay card, which you would not need at all if you have an IntelliCenter, in stock.

Pentair IntelliFlo3 VSF 3.0HP No tax, free shipping.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you Jim,
Unfortunately I do not have the intelliCenter controller.

I know that you can add a small extension board to 011075 to turn it into 011076. However, I am not sure what the price or SKU is for that board.

As long as I can run my motor and my swg, I am golden. After that I can take my time to wait for the intellitouch to Intellicenter conversion kit becomes available.

I have ordered such a kit from epoolsupply.com out of Arizona, but they are back ordered and I don't know when they will become available.

Do you know the part number of the relay board? Any idea on its pricing?

Thank you for your help. This is indeed a very useful community.

Vick

Sta Rite is owned by Pentair. The pumps are the same. The Intellicenter will control them. No need for the I/O add on if using an Intellicenter.

Thank you Mr. Mknauss. Unfortunately I do not have an intelliCenter, my upgrade kit is back ordered.

Meanwhile, I can just use and IntelliFlo3/intelliPro3 to get my most used pool functions.
Your suggestion is very helpful.

Vick

According to this post you can make the controller work with an Intelliflo VSF without updating the firmware.

I know this is an old thread but I just hit the Intelliflo VSF with old Intellitouch firmware issue. It actually DOES work if you switch the intelliflo config to "Intelliflo 4" which is just VS with no flow/gpm control, just RPM.

According to this post you can make the controller work with an Intelliflo VSF without updating the firmware.
Thank you!

I am not sure there is much use of changing from rpm, which are directly related to the power used by the pump.

Gallons will change with pipe resistance, filter obstruction, and some other parameters.

Gpm in addition to RPM will be useful additional information, but I am not sure of gpm instead of rpm.

I have to think more about it. I think that my pump (intelliflo vf) gave rpm, gallons, and watts used.
The display on the pump burnt out I have to changed the display yet, so I am not sure how I programmed it. My intellitouch does not work/communicate so I cannot be sure how I programmed it. I remember starting the prime at 50 gallons per minute and after prine reducing the flow to 15 gpm.

During the prime, the ozonator kicked on which needs a minimum 10 gpm to turn on, after that it's own circulator motor kicked off. Once it is done, the pool actuators moved to return water to spa through swg. Which needs a maximum of 20 gpm.

I am not sure how I determined the gpm, perhaps it was from some conversion table.

I am 100% sure that the pump displayed rpm and wattage used.

Thanks

Vick

I would not take this on a matter of faith.

There are only two ways to check this:
1. The best option is to know exactly how the controller identifies thr pump. It is usually done by an identifier sent to the controller by the piece of equipment to the microcontroller when it is polled.

2. The 2nd option is not as strong, but it might work. If someone has used a Pentair controller to control a Sta-rite pump.

I will not trust an assurance by a Pentair sales representative, or an equipment seller, unless they back it up with the 2nd option. I think option 1 is above the paygrade of just a rep or salesman.

Thank you
Vick

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.