Can I put an Intex 2800 filter on my 9 x 18 intex pool?

Alexanders

Apr 19, 2021
Mid Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I have an 9 x 18 ultra xtr pool with the intex 1200 gph pump and sand filter; I also have the intex CG2667 SWG (which can be used with a 700-3200 gph pump).

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my pool. (I am a first-timer, can you tell?) It is in our shaded, wooded backyard and I keep an intex solar cover on it when we are not swimming. The issue is that the filter just is NOT keeping up. Every couple of days (and sometimes every day if we swim), the flow drops to near nothing. It has been this way since we first started the pool.

At this point, I am ready to drop another bit of cash and get the Intex 2800 gph pump and sand filter. (2800 Gph Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump, 110-120V with GFCI). My concern is that it says on the product page that the minimum pool size is 5,500 gallons and my pool is only 4,500. However, when I look around this forum, I don't see any reason there should be a minimum pool size so long as the pump and filter are sized correctly to each other. It also falls within the approved gph for my swg.

The big question is: IS my pool to small for the intex 2800 pump and sand filter?

The smaller question is can I solve this problem without buying a new filter/pump. For those of you that like to problem solve, Here are the things I have thought about/tried:

Could it be a chemical issue? I don't think so. My numbers are good and the pool is clear. PH 7.5, CYA 70, FC 5.5 (today, because I didn't run my SWG last night because no filter flow again. Usually runs between 5-10 depending on how long I run my swg) CC 0 (Using TFP-100 PRO kit)

Could it be a pump issue? No. It runs with full flow when using recirculate. The flow drops to near nothing when I put it on filter.

Could it be the sand? I changed the sand (and the brand of sand) after the first two weeks. Marginal improvement for a few days.

How about a deep clean of the filter? I did this, using the directions on this forum. (hose in the sand, etc). Some stuff came out; then water ran then ran clear. It was much better for a week. Should I have to do this every few weeks?

What about the pressure gauge? It shows in the green after I backflow and rinse. It goes up as the flow rate goes down. When it hits the line between yellow and green, the flow becomes almost non-existant.

Am I backflowing/rinsing long enough? I backflow beyond when the water looks clear (which is not very long) and rinse for 1:30 using a timer (because I thought that might be the problem. Sometimes I let it backflow a lot longer hoping for better results, but no change.

Could it be the pollen from the wooded backyard? This is my best guess. I'm hoping a bigger filter can deal better with it?!

Is vacuuming a problem? I tried a pump vacuum once; it didn't really work because the flow rate was low. (it's never really HIGH.) I now vacuum with a hose vacuum, so that shouldn't be affecting the filter for the pool.

Could I have a lemon? Maybe. I don't want to deal with Intex customer service, though, and would prefer to just buy the bigger pump if I have to replace.

As you can tell, I've been working on this problem (and scouring this forum for solutions) since we put the pool up in June. Thanks so much for any help?

Recap: Big question: Can I run the Intex 2800 pump/sand filter with my 4,500 gallon intex 9 x 18 pool?
Smaller question: any advice for any way to fix my flow rate that I have not yet tried?

THANK YOU so much! I learn so much by searching on this forum!!

A bigger filter is never a bad thing - however before dropping the $$$ on one I suggest u raise fc to around 10ppm w/ liquid chlorine & do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out nascent algae that you are barely keeping ahead of.
If you have an algae issue a new filter won’t solve it.
If u pass great 👍🏻 If not SLAM Process

Reactions: Alexanders
A bigger filter is never a bad thing - however before dropping the $$$ on one I suggest u raise fc to around 10ppm w/ liquid chlorine & do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out nascent algae that you are barely keeping ahead of.
If you have an algae issue a new filter won’t solve it.
If u pass great 👍🏻 If not SLAM Process
I did an overnight chlorine loss a few weeks ago, and results were fine, but I don't think my FC was as high as 10 when I did it. Does it need to be that high for the overnight test? if so, I will try again.

You want to be at least at target or above for your cya. Be sure to Do the oclt with the swg off.
Sadly most intex style pools come with woefully undersized filter systems so if there’s even a little issue they become overwhelmed quite quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.