Bleach prices 2013

I just bought a 182 oz (1.42 gallons) of 6% RedMax Bleach from Lowes for $2.38 each. I bought their last 7 containers and with tax totaling $18.00. That's almost 10 gallons of 6% bleach for $18.00, half the price at our local Tarson Pool Supply.

Smykowski said:
Nobody's started this thread yet, so I'll kick it off.

In the Chicago area, the Menard's sale started! BOGO 12.5%, so $2.00 per gallon after sales price. Time to go stock up.

Our Menards has on sale four gallons of 12.5% for $9, a little more than what you paid for yours, but today they start a 15% off sale of anything you can fit into a paper grocery bag. I wonder if I can get a couple of jugs into one of those?!

Welcome to tfp, Mithel :wave:

Us Minnesotans continue to take over tfp :twisted:

Mithel said:
Minnesota price report: Gallon of 8.25% for $4 at Cub Foods.
4/(121*0.0825)= $0.40/oz NaClO...unfortunately not a good price at all..unless I am missing something.

I believe Menards right now is selling liquid chlorine for $9/4 gallons of 12.5% which works out to (9/4)/(128*0.125)= $0.14/oz NaClO. And Fleetfarm is almost always selling the same for $10, which works out to $0.15/oz NaClO.

Hi Linen!

I didn't expect Cub to be a good price (just hopefully better than buying from a pool store). It was convenient and I wanted to start trying it today. Thanks for the tip on Menards and FleetFarm, I'll plan to go visit them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
Welcome to tfp, Mithel :wave:

Us Minnesotans continue to take over tfp :twisted:

Mithel said:
Minnesota price report: Gallon of 8.25% for $4 at Cub Foods.
4/(121*0.0825)= $0.40/oz NaClO...unfortunately not a good price at all..unless I am missing something.

I believe Menards right now is selling liquid chlorine for $9/4 gallons of 12.5% which works out to (9/4)/(128*0.125)= $0.14/oz NaClO. And Fleetfarm is almost always selling the same for $10, which works out to $0.15/oz NaClO.

Hey guys. I just joined the forum after spending an afternoon going through pool school, which was very enjoyable to read and learn. I already love this site and the community seems like a great one to be a part of. And Linen, that formula you are using to find the cost per oz or NaCLO, is there a calculator online where you can just plug in numbers, that you know of, or a smartphone app? I think i have the formula down but it would be nice to have something handy so I can calculate a price when i see it and not worry about goofing the equation. I just got some bleach for 3.97 a gallon at 10%. So if im doing this right it would be, price per single unit/(oz in unit*percent of NaCLO) = cost per oz of NaCLO.

So mine would be 3.97/(128*.10) = $0.31/zo NaCLO. Is that right? Also i noticed that sometimes you use 128oz when calculating for a gallon and other times you use 121? Is that a mistake or does that have something to do with different percents of NaCLO?

Sorry for the long first post, but i guess I'm introducing myself to the community, I might as well make myself heard. :-D

And i haven't had a chance to put my pool info in my signature yet but I will get it soon.

In the US, 121 ounces is a new "standard" large jug size for extra strength bleach, 8.25%

I have why but I am going to guess it has to to with shipping or environmental laws.... from the chlorix site: New Concentrated Formula yields same number of uses as 182 oz. jug.

techguy said:
In the US, 121 ounces is a new "standard" large jug size for extra strength bleach, 8.25%

I have why but I am going to guess it has to to with shipping or environmental laws.... from the chlorix site: New Concentrated Formula yields same number of uses as 182 oz. jug.

They can sell it at the same price as they did the 182 oz jugs and they use less plastic. The best part though (for Chlorox) is that people won't use less, they will pour the same amount in their machines as always. Thus they will buy the same amount of liquid, but pay more because it is stronger.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.