SE Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Are there any (good) digital kits on the market to test water chemistry? Something that doesn't involve the typical color chart test strips.

Thanks

Test strips are worthless. We call them "guess" strips around here. There are a couple of digital monitors that members use, but only in conjunction with a TFP recommended test kit (Test Kits Compared). Some members use the digital devices for day-to-day monitoring, but still do frequent testing and auditing with the recommended test kit. Seems to me it would just confuse things, so I'll stick with my TF100 test kit.

You can research Water Sense and Water Guru. I don't know much about them, but some devices do require subscription and refills.

Are there any (good) digital kits on the market to test water chemistry? Something that doesn't involve the typical color chart test strips.

Thanks
The TF-100 and Taylor K2006C both work great and don’t involve color matching strips, but they aren’t digital.

The digital stuff has a lot of room for improvement evidently.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I highly recommend the Apera pH60 meter for digital pH testing -if- you are colorblind or have trouble with the drop-tests for pH when using the Taylor of TF kits. Lots of members here have the Apera pH60 and it's VERY accurate as long as you follow the instructions of a) how to calibrate, b) calibrating consistently, and c) storing it properly. It's reasonably priced, and even the calibration solutions are very well priced.

There isn't ANY (and that includes the Apera) pH test that is as dependable and reliable as Phenol Red (R-0014)

Phenol Red doesn't require ANY calibration, is 10x cheaper and it is simply a better test for the money

Reactions: Bperry
There isn't ANY (and that includes the Apera) pH test that is as dependable and reliable as Phenol Red (R-0014)

Phenol Red doesn't require ANY calibration, is 10x cheaper and it is simply a better test for the money
Adding to above, it's really quick once you get the gist of it. Rinse with same water testing, fill to line, 5 drops then cap it off, shake it some and compare to the color block. Never fails or needing calibration.

The OP is asking for a good digital test kit. Telling him that one doesn't exist that works well, is not that helpful to his question. I'm offering up a suggestion based on many user's experience here on TFP. Some of us fail horribly at using the R-0004 or R-0014 tests because we can't tell colors. So, speaking for myself and for others who struggle with colors or the drop tests in general for one reason or another, I respectfully disagree with you, because I certainly get -way- more accurate and dependable testing results with the Apera pH digital meter, than making guesses at a color test I can't even read and will get totally wrong.

Reactions: ramblinwreck001
The OP is asking for a good digital test kit. Telling him that one doesn't exist that works well, is not that helpful to his question. I'm offering up a suggestion based on many user's experience here on TFP. Some of us fail horribly at using the R-0004 or R-0014 tests because we can't tell colors. So, speaking for myself and for others who struggle with colors or the drop tests in general for one reason or another, I respectfully disagree with you, because I certainly get -way- more accurate and dependable testing results with the Apera pH digital meter, than making guesses at a color test I can't even read and will get totally wrong.
I suspect he’s talking more about for those of us who aren’t color blind. The OP didn’t say anything about it but it sounded like avoiding the color matching on strips was the issue, not color changing from pink to clear on a drip test.

The pH is a special case where if you aren’t color blind, the phenol red test is pretty reliable and inexpensive.

Reactions: jesse-99
The pH is a special case where if you aren’t color blind, the phenol red test is pretty reliable and inexpensive.
I don't disagree with that at all, and quite agree. I merely was providing him an option for his specific request of a digital meter, and an option that many here have found to be reliable as well (though not as inexpensive obviously as drop tests). I'm just trying to answer his question.

I personally like the Apera over the phenol as well, in large part due to phenol test not being reliable over 10 FC and I am routinely in the low teens running a high CYA. The Apera does have to be maintained though - not only the tip kept wet, but the calibration etc etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agreed the digital meters are accurate when FC is over 10 and the drop test isn't. Not to mention, the digital meter can also record LOWER than 7.0. Which I've needed recently when isolating my overflow basin and needing to get pH down to 5 to 5.5. I can't test that with the drop tests, but I can with my digital. There -are- good uses for the digital tests and they can be more accurate for some and in certain cases. Overall however, they're unnecessary for most people and are more of a special use case for some TFPers. IMHO.

I completely agree with the recommendation of the Apera PH meter. I’ll add that the Apera 20 is just as good as the 60 but less expensive. It measures to one decimal rather than two like the 60 but two decimal accuracy is not needed.

I’ll put my Apera meter’s accuracy up against the phenol red test any day. I get to test it with a known control and it’s always within .01 accuracy.

The accuracy you like is pointless and wa-a-a-ay beyond what's required for pool water management, Sort of like getting a human thermometer that will returns results like 98.59321 vs 95.59627 (uh-oh! I have a fever!)

That's why the phenol red test is the the most dependable and reliable and the best for the money.

Thanks
There are a couple of photometer kits but they have their issues. Photometers start with a chemical assessment similar to the drop tests but often use a simplified version more like the guess strips. A photo optical assessment is then applied which effectively adds an extra step and an extra layer of uncertainty.

There are a bunch of single and multiply parameter handheld meters that basically measure volts and apply a correction factor. These correction factors generate readouts with multiply decimal place answers as a function of the mathematics which provides a false sense of accuracy. All of these devices are only as good as the last calibration. The calibration fluids, cleaning fluids and storage solutions will cost more than the meter.

Photometers and handhelds both need to be used and cared for properly,

In my mind the key is to be consistent in how and when you test - that way any outliers are apparent. pick a method and stick to it…

Reactions: Newdude
The accuracy you like is pointless and wa-a-a-ay beyond what's required for pool water management, Sort of like getting a human thermometer that will returns results like 98.59321 vs 95.59627 (uh-oh! I have a fever!)

That's why the phenol red test is the the most dependable and reliable and the best for the money.
At least you backed off the claim that the Apera is not as accurate and reliable as the phenol red test. The calibration requirement is a non issue, it might need to be checked and cal’d twice a season. The cost is a non-issue also, for me, when I consider the convenience.

At least you backed off the claim that the Apera is not as accurate and reliable as the phenol red test. The calibration requirement is a non issue, it might need to be checked and cal’d twice a season. The cost is a non-issue also, for me, when I consider the convenience.
The problem with electronic test equipment is the level of care and expertise required to get consistent results. I rarely use my pH meter and will always calibrate it prior to use which is a hassle so I tend to stay with the drop test. Yeh sure, it can be tricky telling the difference between the 8.0 purple and the 8.2 purple but with a couple of drops of acid demand its not hard to figure out which one it was.

The calibration requirement is an issue, particularly for those that have never used this kind of equipment before. The instructions are inadequate at best and there is a considerable investment in both time and money required. I’m sure there are those that are happily unaware that these meters even require calibration and on the other end of the spectrum there are those that get so frustrated with their meter that it ends up in the neighbors pool.

I recall a lab prac where we had about 9 lab grade bench top meters all calibrated by the lab tech and took measurements from the same stock solution. 9 different results, all close but all different.

Is a handheld pH meter as accurate as the phenol red test for the untrained? Depends.
Is a handheld pH meter as reliable as the phenol red test for the untrained? No.

There is substantial variance between the different types of meters. The pH meter requires the greatest level of care and operational requirements. Calibration to two points at the correct temperature, storage solution + cleaning solution. In contrast a salt meter only requires one calibration solution that is close to the test sample and can be stored damp after rinsing in tap water but the salt meter still has limitations. In my opinion ORP, meters belong in the bin and are not suited to pool care.

Reactions: Bperry
I don’t have an opinion on which is better, but I usually use 4 drops of phenol red instead of 5. To these old eyes, it seems to be closer to the saturation of the color blocks, no matter what the reading is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.