Algea issue but having issues with circulation

laurengiffin

Jun 25, 2019
texas
I have been trying to get rid of algea in my pool for over a month but having little success. My pool is green still, but at least not a swamp anymore. I have removed a lot of leaves that have been clogging up the main drain. I have tried adding shock to start the SLAM process, however my pool will not keep circulating after about an hour or two, so the chemicals have not had a chance to work. At the moment I have been having to backwash at least every two hours and take apart and clean the filter at least every two days. Within a day the pressure rises after about an hour to levels around 30psi. I am at a loss on what to do next in order for the pool to keep circulating so I can kill the algea.

Since I only have a single port valve and do not have a waste line other than during the backwash prcoess, someone recommended that I take out the filter grids and run the pool with shock for a day in order for the pool to hold some algea and then add the clean filter grids back. Will this hurt my filter if I run it with shock without the grids?

Any ideas would be awesome. I'm at a loss at this point on what to try next.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 Test Kit ™

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running.

The idea of bypassing a DE filter when killing the algae is a good one. I would like some of our DE filter owners (@jblizzle @Richard320 ) to give you some advice on removing the grids to achieve that.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.