Algea issue but having issues with circulation

laurengiffin

Jun 25, 2019
texas
I have been trying to get rid of algea in my pool for over a month but having little success. My pool is green still, but at least not a swamp anymore. I have removed a lot of leaves that have been clogging up the main drain. I have tried adding shock to start the SLAM process, however my pool will not keep circulating after about an hour or two, so the chemicals have not had a chance to work. At the moment I have been having to backwash at least every two hours and take apart and clean the filter at least every two days. Within a day the pressure rises after about an hour to levels around 30psi. I am at a loss on what to do next in order for the pool to keep circulating so I can kill the algea.

Since I only have a single port valve and do not have a waste line other than during the backwash prcoess, someone recommended that I take out the filter grids and run the pool with shock for a day in order for the pool to hold some algea and then add the clean filter grids back. Will this hurt my filter if I run it with shock without the grids?

Any ideas would be awesome. I'm at a loss at this point on what to try next.

Thanks!

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 Test Kit ™

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running.

The idea of bypassing a DE filter when killing the algae is a good one. I would like some of our DE filter owners (@jblizzle @Richard320 ) to give you some advice on removing the grids to achieve that.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Should be no problem with keeping the entire grid assembly out of the filter and running without it.