Air Compressor Chosen/OK???

I would go in between with a medium compressor like the ones you were looking at. They’ll have plenty of ooomph for other uses like inflating car tires too. I had a pancake compressor that took 15 mins to blow up a pool float and made it more trouble than it was worth. It couldn’t even think about a flat tire. If it doesn’t clear the pool lines you can always take it back.

Reactions: Mendy48
It will take 3 minutes to clear a 100 ft. 2" line.

As long as you get a good seal the CFM really does not matter other than the speed at clearing the line.

As long as you get a good seal ...

I agree the little guy will work, but as soon as any air escapes the line the compressor will lose its pressure. Any water in the vertical pipes will drain back down. It’s probably not enough to matter with some antifreeze, but a beefier compressor might get that extra second or two to help get more water out.

Bummer, i like the small uprights or horizontals rather that the pancakes because the tank size makes them better for the garage. But if you really want a pancake compressor it will work.

Is this fine☝🏽
I’m sorry I don’t know. I don’t like pancake compressors as most are ‘door busters’ and useless for anything more than a finish nailer for trim work. Their sole reason for existing is so people don’t have to drag out their real compressor for really small jobs. It’s questionable at best if it will do what you need and it won’t come in handy for other uses either. Mine even struggled to blow sawdust that was more than a foot from the nozzle. Also, many of the cheap ones skimp on the regulator and although they appear to have a full range of adjustment of +\-, it really only selects 90 psi or 40 psi, both way more than you want.

But that’s not to say that this one can’t work, I’m just playing the odds. The people who are happy with their pancake compressors usually spent a lot more than the budget model ones.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With a strict $200 budget, I’d buy the big 16 gallon shop vac at HD ($99) which is guaranteed to clear most of the water from the lines. Then it will suck out most of what’s left for added insurance. And a good shop vac is one of those things that you don’t need until you need it. But when you DO….. oh boy it’s worth it’s weight in gold. Then you’ll also go to it for sawdust spackle dust or anything else you don’t want clogging up the regular vacuum.

Reactions: Darin
A good shop vac with a blower hose connection on the exhaust will do the trick as well. I have a 12 gallon shop vac that is great for cleaning up after a lot of work and the same hose can connect to the exhaust port to act as a blower. Should provide enough pressure and plenty of flow.

Reactions: Mendy48 and Newdude
A shop vac will not have the ability to blow out an 8 foot deep main drain.

Check the "Sealed Pressure".

8 feet is 96" and you would need more than that to blow out a main drain.

Most Shop Vacs wont do more than about 72" max.

A good shop vac with a blower hose connection on the exhaust will do the trick as well. I have a 12 gallon shop vac that is great for cleaning up after a lot of work and the same hose can connect to the exhaust port to act as a blower. Should provide enough pressure and plenty of flow.
Yeah! I feel like I’m going on a merry-go-round with what to get for an air compressor…LOL

🤦🏽‍♀️…. My first time doing this so… I thought a pancake air compressor was fine???? That’s why I got it. Mmmm. Now I’m confused.

A shop vac will not have the ability to blow out an 8 foot deep main drain.

Check the "Sealed Pressure".

8 feet is 96" and you would need more than that to blow out a main drain.

Most Shop Vacs wont do more than about 72" max.

72” works great for me … and I don’t close my pool so my needs are minimal.

Blower is the right tool for the job but they are expensive and not easy to find last-minute. A compressor can be made to work but there are risks with over pressurizing a line and if you run a pancake compressor in a continuous fashion you will burn out the motor. They are not designed for continuous use.

I’m sure whatever the OP rents/buys will do the job. Then next year they can go and buy the right tool.

A compressor can be made to work but there are risks with over pressurizing a line and if you run a pancake compressor in a continuous fashion you will burn out the motor. They are not designed for continuous use.
There is an output regulator to control the output pressure.

Just turn it down to 10 psi.

What reference says that the compressor is going to burn up with regular use?

For blowing out a pool system, the run time is not that much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.