Air Compressor Chosen/OK???

Okay! So now that I know how to close my pool, I’ll be using this air compressor to blow out my pipeline. This this duable. CFM is 4.3 @ 90PSI. The specs are in the link. What are your thoughts. Closing pool on Saturday.

It may or may not work for your pool depending if you have a main drain and how deep it is.

Compare your 4.3 CFM air compressor with the Cyclone Blowers 140 CFM. You need air volume (CFM) to blow out water lines, not pressure (PSI).

Good luck.

Reactions: Mendy48
It may or may not work for your pool depending if you have a main drain and how deep it is.

Compare your 4.3 CFM air compressor with the Cyclone Blowers 140 CFM. You need air volume (CFM) to blow out water lines, not pressure (PSI).

Good luck.
Oh! So I really don’t think a 4.3 CFM air compressor will work then. I have a main drain… two in the pool. And my pool is 6ft at deep end. What should I do? Ugh…

Payback is under 10 years and you have the right tool for the job....

What’s the CFM? Is it good. I can’t go wrong with this?

100 feet of 2" PVC pipe is about 2.15 cubic feet.

So, a 4.3 cubic foot per minute will clear the line in about 2 minutes.

The CFM really does not matter as long as there is no air leaking.

The pressure only needs to be about 4 psi for an 8 ft main drain.

So, you don't really need much pressure or flow.

The only risk with a compressor is over-pressurizing the line.

As long as you can make sure that the line pressure does not exceed about 10 psi, you should be fine.

Reactions: Newdude and Mendy48
100 feet of 2" PVC pipe is about 2.15 cubic feet.

So, a 4.3 cubic foot per minute will clear the line in about 2 minutes.

The CFM really does not matter as long as there is no air leaking.

The pressure only needs to be about 4 psi for an 8 ft main drain.

So, you don't really need much pressure or flow.

The only risk with a compressor is over-pressurizing the line.

As long as you can make sure that the line pressure does not exceed about 10 psi, you should be fine.
So what does it mean when the Home Depot air compressor says 4.3 CFM @90 PSI. If I only need about 4psi to blow air into my lines, that would mean that the CFM will decrease, right? But if CFM is irrelevant, I should just focus on the psi. Yes?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So what does it mean when the Home Depot air compressor says 4.3 CFM @90 PSI.
The CFM is not really important.

Lower CFM means a longer time, but at 4.3 CFM, the wait is only 2 minutes.
If I only need about 4psi to blow air into my lines, that would mean that the CFM will decrease, right?
No, the CFM will increase a little bit but the CFM is not really important.

Set the regulator to about 5 to 10 psi to make sure that you don't over pressurize the lines.

Shut off the compressor right away when you close the valve to trap the air.

But if CFM is irrelevant, I should just focus on the psi. Yes?
CFM only matters if the system is not airtight and leaks air.

If the system leaks air somewhere, them a low CFM might not work due to air loss.

You might output 4.3 CFM, but if you have a leak at 4.5 CFM, then it wont work.

A cyclone will work even if you have a medium air leak.

As long as the system is airtight, the compressor will work.

I would suggest trying it with the rental and see how it goes. I don’t think it will work well because those style compressors are not designed for continuous flow. The flow/pressure specs only apply when the unit is used intermittently such as with a nailing gun or an air wrench. Those types of tools only require compressed air for a few seconds. When blowing out a line, you need a continuous flow of low pressure air to not only move the water but also to “dry out” the line. That requires a blower, not a compressor. If you were to leave a compressor running constantly to supply air flow, you’ll burn out the compressor motor.

As @ajw22 said, use the right tool for the right job. But, since you’re new to this, give it a try and you’ll figure out if it works for you.

As @ajw22 said, use the right tool for the right job. But, since you’re new to this, give it a try and you’ll figure out if it works for you.
Ok! I’m just going to buy a compressor now. Cause the pool store is going to charge me $180 for just blowing out my lines. So does this sound good. The link above.

I want to buy the right tool now. I don’t want to start this and figure out I just can’t do this with the Home Depot air compressor.

HD has a generous return policy and you can return it if it doesn’t work for you. I have tested that myself many times with things that *should* have worked but didn’t. So that can work in your favor this year.

Your choice if you want to get the cyclone now or try the compressor route. None of us want to spend $300 on the cyclone but that’s less than 2 closings from the PB if you do. :)

$49.97

Oil-free pump for no-maintenance operation

Air delivery: 0.6 CFM at 90 PSI

1.0 CFM at 40 PSI

Built-in accessory storage

Easy-to-read gauges

Fully enclosed motor housing with easy carry handle

Includes quick connect coupler

Thermal overload protection

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.