Air Compressor Chosen/OK???

From

Couldn't blow my drain (2 ports in bottom of deep end) out so I got a 6 gallon Ridgid compressor from HD. Plugged up all the drains in the equipment except for the pump, pushed air in thru the pump drain. 15 psi and 2 minutes later I had good bubbles coming out of each. Shut main drain and turned off compressor.

Ok! all the systems plugs are back in (heater, chlorinator, filter pump, and sand filter.
I placed the air compressor where the gauge pressure is. This is where the pool store puts the air compressor.
Multivalve on "re-circulate".
main drain opened to blow air in.
Started the air compressor (not sure what the tank pressure and outlet pressure should be at)

Attachments

• IMG_8301.jpg
    IMG_8301.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 5
  • tempImageuy5y7f.jpg
    tempImageuy5y7f.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8303.jpg
    IMG_8303.jpg
    834.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8305.jpg
    IMG_8305.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 4
That should work.

I would have left the multiport on "Filter".

Recirculate should work, but it tends to leak to waste more than if you use the "filter" position.

I would have used the pump drain plug, but the gauge hole should work.

You can leave the skimmer valve open if the lines are plugged.

As things bubble, just plug the lines.

When the main drain bubbles, close the valve and shut off the compressor.

Reactions: Mendy48
That should work.

I would have left the multiport on "Filter".

Recirculate should work, but it tends to leak to waste more than if you use the "filter" position.

I would have used the pump drain plug, but the gauge hole should work.

You can leave the skimmer valve open if the lines are plugged.

As things bubble, just plug the lines.

When the main drain bubbles, close the valve and shut off the compressor.
It worked. As soon as I put all the drain holes back, it worked. However, the strangest thing is that that it wouldn't work on a low psi ... like 5-10. I had to gradually increase the psi to almost 20 to see the main drain bubbles coming out. once I saw that, I closed the main drain and opened up the skimmer, and bubbles started coming out of the skimmer and water also started pouring from the return jets.

So my question is why wouldn't it work at a lower psi?

I also couldn't get my hose all the way in the return jet to pour the anti-freeze. I got some in there, but I guess that would have to do. The pool store never used antifreeze and never drained my pool. I drained my pool, put antifreeze in the skimmer with a gizmo and some noodles. tried to put some in the return jet, but I was only able to get very little in there.

Put the multivalve on "winter", and closed off/and shut off the pool heater and shut down the breaker.

😓

Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
8 feet is about 3.5 psi, so it only takes a little bit more.

If the water is lowered, then it takes even less pressure.

If the main drain is 7 feet below the surface of the water, then it only takes 3 psi.

Anything over 5 psi should have cleared the line.

You get some pressure buildup of a few psi as the water is being pushed out.

So, maybe 5 to 7 psi to account for pushing the water.

Maybe the regulator is not very accurate.

Reactions: Mendy48

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
8 feet is about 3.5 psi, so it only takes a little bit more.

If the water is lowered, then it takes even less pressure.

If the main drain is 7 feet below the surface of the water, then it only takes 3 psi.

Anything over 5 psi should have cleared the line.

You get some pressure buildup of a few psi as the water is being pushed out.

So, maybe 5 to 7 psi to account for pushing the water.

Maybe the regulator is not very accurate.
Interesting. I think the regulator was not accurate cause I thought I was doing something wrong. It wasn’t until I pushed up the psi to 30 that bubbles started coming out of main drain. Something was definitely off. I immediately shut then main drain valve when I saw the bubbles. I may return this air compressor. Nevertheless, I was finally able to close my pool. Thanks everyone for your help on this task.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.