A close shave! Pump shaft cap?

familytr33

Bronze Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
South East USA
Hi,

The past month or so my main breaker back in the basement has been tripping when the pumps are running. Not every time, maybe just once a week. There was also a strange whining sound from the booster pump.

Today I gave it one last look over before calling the pool company/electrician.

The attached pics show what I found.

Apparently the 'end-cap' on the back of the booster pump was not installed (at all) by the pool company and the rotating shaft end was left exposed. I think the pump was replaced some time during last season, and the pool company has not touched it this year, so this has been a long time coming.

Anyway, the conduit taking power from the clocks to the heater somehow got to resting on the exposed rotating shaft (possibly during some work on the light at the beginning of this season).

The rotating shaft wore through the conduit and onto the wires inside. Fortunately the breaker saved us.

Repair cost $40 at Lowes to replace the conduit and wires to the heater.

But I really want to cover up that exposed shaft at the rear of the pump. The pump is Centurion part 0-164304-24. But no luck finding this part online. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

ft.

Attachments

• IMG_1972.jpg
    IMG_1972.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1971.jpg
    IMG_1971.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1974.jpg
    IMG_1974.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1973.jpg
    IMG_1973.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 32
The pump and motor look older than a year. In any case, you should be able to go to any pool company that replaces motors or any electric motor repair shop and they should have old motors that they can take a cover from.

You could probably glue on any type of plastic cover. Maybe use a high temp silicone for glue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.