SE Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Our current pump motor was installed 10 years ago. Last spring at opening the shaft wouldn’t turn when powered on, but I was able to manually free it and it ran ok all season.

Today I started preparing for opening and checked the pump motor. This time it is frozen solid. I can’t force the shaft to turn at all. As you can see from the pics, it’s pretty corroded. I’m guessing the seal has been leaking, though I didn’t never noticed any drips.

So, is this motor toast? I’m guessing “yes” based on age (the last motor lasted 9 years)?IMG_1069.jpeg

IMG_1068.jpeg

Just buy a new pump. More money but a lot less hassle than trying to rehab a corroded up future landfill resident …. With so many VSPs on the market now, you really can’t go wrong.

Just buy a new pump. More money but a lot less hassle than trying to rehab a corroded up future landfill resident …. With so many VSPs on the market now, you really can’t go wrong.

Thanks. That’s what I suspected.

I thought about an entire new VSP, but they are so pricey. I checked power usage/cost for our existing single speed pump (Hayward 1hp) and it’s only costing us about $25 a month to run it (our season is mid May to early October). It seems it would take many, many, years, if ever, to break even with a VSP. Given this, I’m inclined to just buy the same motor (the existing pump is fine).

Am I missing something in my thought process?

Hmmm….I came across this

Thinking out loud; perhaps running at a lower speed may be quieter? However, power savings likely not enough to worry about, IMHO. More stuff that can go wrong with it, though? I talked to my spouse and we’re leaning towards just going with a straight replacement.

Perhaps others can chime in … @JamesW or @ajw22 or @mas985 or @Jimrahbe

I personally think it’s silly to NOT have a VSP. A single speed motor just uses way more power than necessary and they are loud. Even if the break even point is a decade away, I’d still get one tomorrow. There are a few VSPs on the market that I would call “cheapo units” that allow you to see what it’s like without having to pay for one of the big boys (Hayward/Pentair). Plus your utility would likely offer a rebate since you currently have a single speed pump and you’re switching to a VSP.

Let’s see what others say.

$25 per month is low for SS pump. If you ran the pump 8 hours per day, your cost of electricity would need to be right at $0.10 per kwh. I would think that is on the low side but possible.

Calimar has a 1.5 hp VS pump for under $500. Hard to beat. Check with you utility, there may be a rebate, but many times those require 'professional' installation which costs about what the rebate is.

The pump will be so quiet you will not hear it. Honest.

$25 per month is low for SS pump. If you ran the pump 8 hours per day, your cost of electricity would need to be right at $0.10 per kwh. I would think that is on the low side but possible.

Calimar has a 1.5 hp VS pump for under $500. Hard to beat. Check with you utility, there may be a rebate, but many times those require 'professional' installation which costs about what the rebate is.

The pump will be so quiet you will not hear it. Honest.

Thanks. I appreciate everyone’s suggestions. 😀

Last I looked our rate was about $0.11 per kwh, so yeah, pretty low compared to other parts of the country. We’re on a fixed monthly payment plan (it adjusts each year based on prior years use; it really helps with monthly budgeting with both of us being retired) and our total electric bill has been under $100 a month for the past few years.

Btw, it looks like the current motor uses 0.75 kw
IMG_1070.jpeg

Plus your utility would likely offer a rebate since you currently have a single speed pump and you’re switching to a VSP.

I just checked. Our power company offers a $300 rebate on Energy Star rated VSPs. However, one of the qualifications is we must be heating our house with a heat pump (we don’t have a heat pump). Another qualification is the VSP must be Energy Star rated. I don’t see any such rating on the Century VGreen VSPs. So no rebate for us. 👎

After discussion, the CFO (that’s not me, I’m just the pool boy, lol!) has decided to go with a straight motor replacement at this time. Down the road when it comes time to replace the entire pump/motor, then we’ll likely go for a Pentair or Hayward VSP.

Again, I thank everyone for the great feedback and suggestions. 😀

Last edited:
I just checked. Our power company offers a $300 rebate on Energy Star rated VSPs. However, one of the qualifications is we must be heating our house with a heat pump (we don’t have a heat pump). Another qualification is the VSP must be Energy Star rated. I don’t see any such rating on the Century VGreen VSPs. So no rebate for us. 👎

They only issue a rebate on a POOL pump if your house uses an electric heat source ?? That is the weirdest requirement I have ever heard of …

Reactions: Saturn94
They only issue a rebate on a POOL pump if your house uses an electric heat source ?? That is the weirdest requirement I have ever heard of …

I thought the same! I guess they want customers sending all of their energy dollars to them instead of heating costs going to their competition (Va Natural Gas).

IMG_1520.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just checked. Our power company offers a $300 rebate on Energy Star rated VSPs. However, one of the qualifications is we must be heating our house with a heat pump (we don’t have a heat pump). Another qualification is the VSP must be Energy Star rated. I don’t see any such rating on the Century VGreen VSPs. So no rebate for us.
I think that a new variable speed pump qualifies on its own.

The heat pump is a separate rebate.

In my opinion, the rebate details are poorly or incorrectly worded.

Verify to be sure.

1682387391267.png

Purchase an eligible heat pump water heater and/or variable speed pool pump and have it installed.

Submit a rebate application.

Rebate check will be mailed to the address on file with Dominion Energy Virginia.

Program Eligibility Requirements:​

• Must be a residential Dominion Energy Virginia customer.
  • Must live in a single-family detached residence, a single-family attached residence (such as a townhome or condo), or a single-family manufactured home (such as a mobile home or modular home). Residents of multifamily apartment units are not eligible for this program. However, multifamily apartment customers may be eligible for energy-saving measures through the Multifamily program.
  • Is responsible for the electric bill.
  • Is the owner of the home or is able to secure permission to participate.
  • Must purchase and install a heat pump water heater or variable speed pool pump that meets or exceeds ENERGY STAR® performance requirements.
  • Heat Pump Water Heater must replace an electric water heater. No rebates are available from this program for non-electric water heaters.
Please review additional requirements through the Program’s Terms and Conditions. By participating in this program, you are signifying your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of the Residential Water Savings Program.

The Basics 4
Why should I buy an energy efficient pool pump? A variable speed pool pump can reduce pool pump energy use by 50% to 75%*. 4
What kind of customers are eligible to participate in this program?
• Must be a residential Dominion Energy Virginia or North Carolina customer.
• Must live in a single-family detached residence, a single-family attached residence (such as a townhome or condo), or a single-family manufactured home (such as a mobile home or modular home).
• Is responsible for the electric bill.
• Is the owner of the home or is able to secure permission to participate.
• Must purchase and install a variable speed pool pump that meets or exceeds ENERGY STAR® performance requirements. 4
How are the products installed? Please reach out to a qualified contractor of your choice to install your variable speed pool pump. Eligibility and Incentives 4
What are the eligible products sold? Variable Speed Pool Pumps with a minimum 1/2 horsepower that meet or exceed ENERGY STAR® performance requirements. 4
How much is the incentive for this rebate program?
Qualifying products earn a rebate of $300. 4
How do I apply for the rebate?
1. Purchase an eligible variable speed pool pump and have it installed.
2. Submit a rebate application.
3. Rebate check will be mailed to the address on file with Dominion Energy Virginia or Dominion Energy North Carolina.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.