2018: Fiberglass install uxbridge ointario

So, many of you will brow beat me for this next decision but that's life. :)

I am not doing the coped concrete edge. The pool is very small and having that couple inch overhang around the perimeter will make it look even smaller. There are other reasons like the likelyhood of concrete cracking in my climate and making it's way all the way down the front of the coping. yuck. Finally, this aluminum Vastec fiberglass pool coping allows for up to 1" of shiming to make up for a less than perfectly level fiberglass pool. Many other reasons too like concrete finisher doesn't have to get into pool. The grey color is very close to the color of concrete I am using.20180412_121901.jpg

DUDE! I LOVE it! Why would you NOT do it??? I think it looks great AND gives your that extra room in your pool! I watched a couple of videos and it looks like there is quite a bit of muscle needed to do it but once you find THE way it looks easy to get it on!

Kim:kim:

That looks interesting and great to learn along with you. Glad the bonding was mentioned. Is it done with aluminum wire and then connected to copper where it can be monitored and maintained? All good and just for others following along, coping need not extend 2 inches over the pool. Around 3/8" to 1/2" is enough to redirect most of the waves into the pool, but I agree, it's surprising how much it shrinks the look of the pool. I've seen it done flush which looks nice when everything lines up, but doesn't contain the water as well.

Chris,

Needsajet has a valid point. I have your same pool and when I first installed it I had no overhang at all. If there is any wave action or people jumping into these smaller pools water pours up and over the top. If you don't do any overhang just be prepared for it.

Overhang may also be required by your code to offer distressed bathers a “handhold.”

No. nothing like that here. I personally have never seen a residential pool with cantilevered coping here in Canada.

- - - Updated - - -

Chris,

Needsajet has a valid point. I have your same pool and when I first installed it I had no overhang at all. If there is any wave action or people jumping into these smaller pools water pours up and over the top. If you don't do any overhang just be prepared for it.

Thought about that too. No perfect solution. The lack of an overhang will be good for my benches too. Will be able to sit right back.

- - - Updated - - -

That looks interesting and great to learn along with you. Glad the bonding was mentioned. Is it done with aluminum wire and then connected to copper where it can be monitored and maintained? All good and just for others following along, coping need not extend 2 inches over the pool. Around 3/8" to 1/2" is enough to redirect most of the waves into the pool, but I agree, it's surprising how much it shrinks the look of the pool. I've seen it done flush which looks nice when everything lines up, but doesn't contain the water as well.

I will ask electrical inspector what he recommends. Maybe copper to the aluminum but connected via ring connector.

not using both aluminum and copper wire. Aluminum is non existant here except for service wire.

- - - Updated - - -

What are the electrical bonding provisions?

Are you going to put a slip sheet between concrete & pool top?

I am not bonding. I hear shock therapy works wonders on sore muscles. lol. jk

No slip between concrete and pool. The movement will be upward if anything. "frost"

DUDE! I LOVE it! Why would you NOT do it??? I think it looks great AND gives your that extra room in your pool! I watched a couple of videos and it looks like there is quite a bit of muscle needed to do it but once you find THE way it looks easy to get it on!

Kim:kim:

It is, by no means a wet noodle but the sample in the pic was very easy for me to bend the correct radius.

I got sent home from work today due to freezing rain but by dinner time it was 10 C and i jumped on the chance to connect my hoses. 1.5” returns and 2” skimmer. Because of the cold temps at night I will wait until Saturday then pressure test them before complete backfill. BUT!! I have some lunatic OCD Chris mods I will be doing to the connections. Nothing I’ve seen online, 100% my idea and completely unconventional. Lol. I don’t want those connections to ever leak. Pics in a couple days.

Attachments

• 3F825732-1AE0-4EBB-A8DB-8DDFC13AE6D8.jpg
    3F825732-1AE0-4EBB-A8DB-8DDFC13AE6D8.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 133

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got sent home from work today due to freezing rain but by dinner time it was 10 C and i jumped on the chance to connect my hoses. 1.5” returns and 2” skimmer. Because of the cold temps at night I will wait until Saturday then pressure test them before complete backfill. BUT!! I have some lunatic OCD Chris mods I will be doing to the connections. Nothing I’ve seen online, 100% my idea and completely unconventional. Lol. I don’t want those connections to ever leak. Pics in a couple days.

Unroll your hose before affixing it to the wall or any termination.

So here are my genius ideas. lol. maybe not.

Reinforce the hose/fitting connection with fiberglass tape. (think fiberglass cast material) I thought the stuff I had was 10' long bit it was only 40". lol. oh well. wish I had more wraps.

Then spray all areas with 2 pound, 2 part, closed cell foam not for insulation value but for strength, and leak insurance. If you've ever used this stuff, You know it's near impossible to get off any surface.

Attachments

• 20180413_113936.jpg
    20180413_113936.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 20180413_113917.jpg
    20180413_113917.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 20180413_112309.jpg
    20180413_112309.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 20180413_113600.jpg
    20180413_113600.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 20180413_112331.jpg
    20180413_112331.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 20180413_113607.jpg
    20180413_113607.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 119
With the spray, when/if you do leak it will be a miserable job to locate & repair..

The tape is a placebo effect, a well made joint won’t an issue..

Btw— exiting the skimmer a few feet of ridged PVC is beneficial, when flex collapses- it’s generally at the skimmer area.. don’t know why, but that’s what I dig up..

I’m not a pessimist, renovation & leak detection are my specialty..

I think that the reason that flex collapses near the skimmer is tabs left in the skimmer basket with the pump off.

A lot of electrical conduit and wire insulation is pvc, so I don't think that pvc would be adversely affected by wires carrying voltage and current.

It’s also thought , I don’t remember where proved or if proved. Cables with voltage ear pvc pull plasticizers & cause failure..

Maybe in that link?? I’ve never seen it happen on the street though..

no idea what you are saying here. FYI, the conduit I've used is electrical conduit.

And I wont have leaks. lol. 75 tons of HPB as backfill and base. There wont be settling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.