New build in nc. Halfway point!!!

Jul 1, 2018
Lexington, NC
We are mid way through building our first pool. This plan has been a few years in the making and we finally committed this year. These pics are exactly 1 week into the build. In sure I will have many questions but right now we are just super excited and just a little overwhelmed, mostly about how much decking to use and whether to stamp/color or not. We thought rain would hinder the build this week but the forecast is mostly cloudy with no rain all week so hopefully it stays that way. They dug the hole last monday, put up the polymer walls on wednesday, poured the concrete around the walls thursday, and spread the vermiculite pool base mix friday. Oh, and they delivered my wife's tanning shelf saturday(as seen in the pic). We were told the liner would be here today. A few details,18x30x36 IG polymer wall vinyl pool, 3'4"-8', gold pebble liner, fiberglass 16'x8' semicircle tanning ledge, Rico Rock Texas 2 step waterfall (will spill into back edge of ledge), 5' fiberglass lagoon step, SR Smith salt pool jump system w/ true tread diving board, dunnrite regulation clear hoop, 5 hayward colorlogic led lights, Pentair Superflo 1 1/2 hp pump 115/230, Pentair Intellichlor SCG, Pentair Sd80 26" sand filter w/ 2" valve. Also, the steel steps in the original drawing were scrapped for the 5' lagoon step. I listed the equipment off what I see on the tags but I really have no clue what Im looking at here so any questions please ask and I can clarify. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20180729_152926.jpg
    20180729_152926.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 470
  • 20180811_195445.jpg
    20180811_195445.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 475
  • 20180812_172359.jpg
    20180812_172359.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 465
d5VU94V.jpg

ZzpSrHu.jpg

mhtolT1.jpg

nwKnOyx.jpg

fqH6KIg.jpg

B3wgC3W.jpg

Helping you out with your pictures.

I find imgbb.com a better site. Upload the picture and then paste the BBCode Full Linked to your post.

Oh I LOVE those steps!!! Where and how will the sunshelf fit in there?

What a pretty area you have there! What are you going to do with all of that extra dirt?

Kim:kim:

Thank you! The builder had originally wanted to do wrapped steel steps but they took up so much of the play area that we ended up doing the lagoon step. It is way bigger than we thought. Same for the sunshelf. Knowing the dimensions beforehand did not prepare us for the actual size of the thing. The builder made the arc of the pool on the side away from the house match the arc of the shelf so it will be set 2 or 3 feet off the pool running along that curve. Instead of a spillover he will run pipe from the shelf under the concrete into the pool and the waterfall will be set up on the back straight edge spilling water into the shelf. There will be 1 led in the curved edge of the shelf pointing back to the waterfall. As far as the dirt, I am on the hook for any dirt left after backfill. My neighbor just put in a beautiful gunite pool and is in need of some dirt on the back of his lot so we'll drop a few scoops over the fence. Im planning on running beds along my property line on all sides back there, coming out about 8 feet so I'll use most of the rest of it to raise those beds up. The rest will be used to make my son a jump for his dirt bike.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do I see some dirt on those tires over there??? LOVE it! I have had quite a few of my own over the years!

Oh LOOK! A basketball hoop!!! FUN TIMES!

Now look into "watermelon ball"!!! Oh and the inflatable bull to ride!!!

Do I see some dirt on those tires over there??? LOVE it! I have had quite a few of my own over the years!

Oh LOOK! A basketball hoop!!! FUN TIMES!

Now look into "watermelon ball"!!! Oh and the inflatable bull to ride!!!

Yes maam, that is genuine North Carolina red clay on those tires! My son and I ride a trail close to our house. We would do laps in the back yard in a pinch but I guess those days are over. Yes, our hoop and diving board are waiting patiently in the garage for installation. We have 2 sleeves for the hoop so we can move it if we want. The electricians took both sleeves and the metal part of the jump stand so they could ground them before inspection. Makes sense but I guess I didnt think of that. I will definitely check into watermelon ball and the inflatable bull does look like alot of fun. My son is 10 yrs old so we are always in search of a new game to play. Thanks for the tips!

this is cool. first time i have seen a vinyl pool with a shelf. does the shelf get a liner or is it fiberglass?

very cool!

i really likey!

Thanks for the kind words. The shelf is made by viking and it is fiberglass. We chose the finish from tiles our builder had provided. We went with a sand like finish (cant remember the exact name) to match the gold pebble liner. It also has metal flakes or some sort of shimmery stuff mixed in. We were a bit thrown when it arrived cause the tile we picked from had a white background but when it arrived it was light blue. We're very happy with it though, and it does look really cool when the light hits it. Our builder has the same setup in his pool with the waterfall pouring into the back of the ledge with an LED shining toward the waterfall from the shelf. We really liked the idea of not having to sacrifice pool area to have a shelf. I'll post a closeup of the finish when I get a chance.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the look we're going for with the ledge

My wife called and said she found a wrinkle in the liner on the floor of the shallow end and the liner was pulling away from the wall next to the step. We have a call in to the builder but does anybody know if they can fix these things after the pool has been filled? Man I hope so but I have no experience in this area. Any help would be greatly appreciated

There has been times where they were able to use a toilet plunger (I know :shock:) to remove wrinkles! As for the pulling away from the wall........not sure how but bet it can be fixed also. Keep us in the look AND take pics and make sure the issues are written out with NO emotions to keep as needed. (hoping it will never be needed but....)

There has been times where they were able to use a toilet plunger (I know :shock:) to remove wrinkles! As for the pulling away from the wall........not sure how but bet it can be fixed also. Keep us in the look AND take pics and make sure the issues are written out with NO emotions to keep as needed. (hoping it will never be needed but....)

Cool, thanks for the info Kim! A toilet plunger huh. Hey, whatever it takes! Im working out of town for the rest of the week but will definitely get my wife to send pics so I can document the issue on here. She said it looks like they're related cause they're in the same area. Like the liner bunched up at the wrinkle causing it to pull away from the wall. I'll get pics up soon. Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.