New build in nc. Halfway point!!!

Fond memories - my kids couldn't wait to get in the pool as it was filling, too! Looks like it's going to be a great addition to the yard.

Where in NC are you located and, do you mind telling us who built this wonder pool?

Thanks! There was definitely no stopping him from jumping in after the builder said it was ok! We are located in Lexington, NC very close to Richard Childress Racing headquarters. Our builder is Jim Pennell of Southeastern Pools. He has been building pools close to 30 years and only does a few pools a year now so we are glad we were able to get him over before he shuts down for the year

Just getting back in town. Million things to do around here. Just dropping a fresh pic. We passed electrical inspection and just backfilled today. He set the tanning ledge but its still dirty and has no water on it. He said it took a while to get it level. I'll post more pics when I get a minute. The pipe behind the ledge is the water for the waterfall which they wont install till after concrete

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
These are pics of the liner pulling away from the wall on the shallow end of the pool. We spoke to the builder about this and he says he will do whatever he can to fix this, even if it means draining to just under the bad spot to straighten it out. He said his first attempt will be to use suction, like Kim said in an earlier post

These are the latest pics of our project. It is an overcast day and we just backfilled yesterday which put a good amount of red clay in the pool but this is where we stand currently. I tried to get a close up of the shelf to show the sand finish and sparkle effect. The one light thats left will go in there. Also, there are 2 sleeves, one in shallow and one to the right of the deep so I'll have options to move the bball hoop. I also showed the havoc that was wreaked on my mulch bed in the back. That will be an easy fix though. Also pictured are the waterfall rocks. They will add Tennessee river rock to those and touch them all up with a paint the builder uses. Hopefully we can get the concrete in soon and get this project finished!

Why did they take that "bite" of the mulch bed? At least it will be easy to fix but seems like it was not necessary.

How deep is the shelf? What will be between it and the pool? How high will the waterfall be? It is going to be interesting to see what you end up with to vacuum it.

Kim:kim:

Why did they take that "bite" of the mulch bed? At least it will be easy to fix but seems like it was not necessary.

How deep is the shelf? What will be between it and the pool? How high will the waterfall be? It is going to be interesting to see what you end up with to vacuum it.

Morning Kim! The concrete truck that poured the footing around the walls tore up the right side of my front lawn trying to get up the front hill, then came up the driveway on the other side. The only way he could make the turn on that side was to run through that bed. The backfill guy did a good job leveling the front damage yesterday and I have plenty of dirt to build my bed up. The shelf is 10 inches deep and the builder says hes gonna raise the drain to get the water level as high as he can. Right now it would drain at 4 inches but he says he can raise it to 7 or 8 inches. We are just planning on concrete between it and the pool. Not sure if we have room in whats left of the budget to stamp a border, but if so, it would be all stamped border. I know he said the waterfall will be 9 ft wide which will leave around 3 ft of ledge on either side. Not sure of the height. I know the brand is Rico Rock and the model is Texas 2 Step. We're talking about incorporating some plants as well. Vacuuming and the skimmer are the reasons for the 3 ft separation between the pool and the ledge. Builder said I'll need enough room to walk through there to vacuum. We're not getting a robot to start and I have to admit, I dont know the first thing about the cleaning process. I'll be learning as I go

They have several neat pics and even some videos of that waterfall. That is going to sound so neat!

Okay on the cleaning...........my biggest question is the shelf........will there be any kind of drain in the bottom of it? Talk to me about how the returns (places the water comes into the shelf from the pump and the "drain" works. I have a couple of ideas but need to know how this works to I can make sure I am on the right track.

I was wondering the same thing. How does the shelf get water exchange since it’s literaly it’s own pool?

My dads buddy’s kid just showed me a job he did with a vinyl covered shelf that is part of the pool. It’s pretty cool.

Urs is the first I have seen like this but I think it’s pretty cool especially with the waterfall.

They have several neat pics and even some videos of that waterfall. That is going to sound so neat!

Okay on the cleaning...........my biggest question is the shelf........will there be any kind of drain in the bottom of it? Talk to me about how the returns (places the water comes into the shelf from the pump and the "drain" works. I have a couple of ideas but need to know how this works to I can make sure I am on the right track.

Thanks, we are excited about the waterfall and we hope it turns out good. Im gonna try to answer your questions about the shelf but not really sure I completely understand myself so please bear with me. So, my understanding is the only water being pumped into the shelf will be from the waterfall. That one water pipe behind the shelf. There are 3 holes in the shelf (pics below). 1 in front closest to the pool. This one will have a light installed in it. And 1 on either side toward the back corner. These, in my understanding, are drains. They are connected with drain pipe to jet sized holes in the pool where water will run back and forth. Ive taken a picture of these but they have not cut holes in the liner to allow water to flow through them so they look like jets. Water in the shelf will only reach the level of the drain holes before it is run into the pool. One of the drain holes in the shelf is way too low but he says he can raise it by running a 90° fitting off it, raising the drain level as high as we want. I really thought I understood this better until I tried to explain it. Lol. Lets just say Im putting alot of trust in this guy to come through and he talks about this like hes done it a million times. In the pic of the pool wall, 3 jet looking holes are visible (youll probably have to zoom to see them. Just under the water level) The one in the middle is a light and the 2 on either end are connected by drain pipe to the holes on either back end of the shelf.

I was wondering the same thing. How does the shelf get water exchange since it’s literaly it’s own pool?

My dads buddy’s kid just showed me a job he did with a vinyl covered shelf that is part of the pool. It’s pretty cool.

Urs is the first I have seen like this but I think it’s pretty cool especially with the waterfall.

Thanks man! I did my best to explain how I think hes doing it but I do want to add that I did try to look as far as I could into the drain holes at the back of the shelf. I could only see 6 or 7 inches in before they made a turn, but there was a very strong smell of plumbers glue at both holes and the only place they could possibly be running is to the jet looking holes in the pool wall that are currently covered with liner. Im gonna ask more questions when I see the builder Monday and I'll be sure to get the full run down so I can share it with you guys.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.