New build in nc. Halfway point!!!

hes saying the port nearest pool lets water flow both ways. Hes prob right hes the poolguy after all LOL. Just by pics it looks like water level in pool is lower than the drain on sunshelf so Im thinking its downhill but poolguy is prob right. Id still have a return in there other than the waterfall if it were me the original 4"depth doesnt make sense to me overall, but it would be great for little ones id think

Looks good I like the step add on goes well w shape of pool. The sunahelf is rly nice. I don't like the way he plumbed it tho. He's doing a good job but I would like to see stone for backfill the clay is gonna move around and settle u cannot compact it properly in stages hoping ur deck stays solid for the long haul. The pad is basic 1 suction 2 return branches which is fine but he should have added a return in sunahelf other than waterfall. Idk if the shelf had holes predrilled if not he shoulda asked how deep u wanted it. Reason is without the fall running water will be stagnant the piping in those is downhill to pool it's a drain won't come back up. The fall will raise ur PH running everyday to keep water nice a small return fitting would keep it mixed all the time. He may be able to T the waterfall line still and out in an irrigation box and still run a return for u that's what I would do at this point. Regardless I like the design and the choices u made looks rly nice will be great when finished

Thanks for the kind words. As far as the step, I was real surprised that it blended in so well. Just looking at pics online I thought it was too busy but was proven wrong once he got it in. He did say they were going to backfill the shelf with gravel but I dont see any evidence of that. I only saw some type of grey sand around it. I was working out of town all of last week and when I pulled in the driveway Friday, the man was putting the final touches on the backfill so I never saw any of the plumbing. I see what you're saying about a T coming off the waterfall line to keep a constant flow coming in without the waterfall running. Thats a great idea and I'll definitely be getting into that conversation with him. We have hit a couple days of rain down here and he says its too muddy to do anything until it dries up so this project is stalled for the moment. Work has been insane but I'll be able to talk to him hopefully in the am and get a better understanding of his plans. I really appreciate your help and I'll get you guys details on the plumbing when I get them

Oh I did not even think of having a return on the shelf other than the waterfall! I wonder if that lower hole is really a return???

Marty did you take any pics of the plumbing when it was all open?

Kim:kim:

I did not Kim. Unfortunately I was out of town for the whole thing and just relied on the pics my wife was sending. I know we have 1 light left and builder says the electrician is coming to put it in the shelf pointing toward the waterfall. I assumed it was going in the port closest to the pool but it does make way more sense for that to be another way of transferring water. No clue where the lights going then. Im travelling again but I'll reach out to builder tomorrow and try to get more info

hes saying the port nearest pool lets water flow both ways. Hes prob right hes the poolguy after all LOL. Just by pics it looks like water level in pool is lower than the drain on sunshelf so Im thinking its downhill but poolguy is prob right. Id still have a return in there other than the waterfall if it were me the original 4"depth doesnt make sense to me overall, but it would be great for little ones id think

He did say he thought the water level would be too low and hed be glad to raise it with a fitting on the drains. Not sure what the eye appeal will be on that but I think I'll take it over a 4 inch water level

Brief conversation with the builder this morning. He said after heavy rain last night hes pretty sure the electrician wont be out again today. On the flip side, he said they generally like to let everything settle for about a month before pouring the decking and the rain might speed that process. He did say that the hole facing the back edge of the ledge would hold a light. He said hes gonna run an elbow off the waterfall supply line to run water to the shelf until deck is poured and he can install waterfall. He is planning on the waterfall being the only source of water after that and says that will be plenty to keep everything running smoothly but I really like the idea you guys had of keeping the elbow in there permanently for constant flow. Thanks for that! We'll be having that discussion when I see him Friday. He promised me everything would be up and running by the end of the week so we're looking forward to that. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again for all the help

Maybe have him add a low "T" to the waterfall pipe and a diverter valve. Then he could install a lower pipe entering just above the shelf and you could adjust the flow of the waterfall. You could have the waterfall full force or turn it down to a trickle or completely off and always have the shelf water moving.

Maybe have him add a low "T" to the waterfall pipe and a diverter valve. Then he could install a lower pipe entering just above the shelf and you could adjust the flow of the waterfall. You could have the waterfall full force or turn it down to a trickle or completely off and always have the shelf water moving.
That sounds awesome! I see no reason he couldnt do that. Thanks! Love the name too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What confuses me is that I pic u posted port on left is low and port on right is high. Judging by water level in pool I think maybe lower drain may be equal to top of water but not right drain. Either way the waterfall running will constantly raise ur PH I would do irrigation box w a T in there and add a regular return

Ok so there r 3 holes. 1 for a light. 2 for drains. And the return is the waterfall pretty much? So when ur pump is running it should pull water from the drains. But I’m thinking to get water exchange u r going to have to keep that pump really moving? Like 2000 plus rpm at least?

Anyone know?

i would deff take water samples everyday from that small pool vs the full pool to make sure u r keeping an eye on the water. I would not assume watercfeom one is the same as the other.

Just make ale sure I r getting water exchange in that section. Think of when u r at a water park. I think of blizzard beach in Disney. When the wave pool pulls back it leaves behind little tide pools in a sandy area. That water is like 4 inches deep. It bakes in the sun down there.

What confuses me is that I pic u posted port on left is low and port on right is high. Judging by water level in pool I think maybe lower drain may be equal to top of water but not right drain. Either way the waterfall running will constantly raise ur PH I would do irrigation box w a T in there and add a regular return

The second port in skimmer can be an equalizer underground.. the more I study this one the less it adds up..
I’m hoping the builder schools me here.

Kiddy pool?

The builder says he has the same shelf setup in his pool and everybody calls it a kiddy pool. Works for me. My wife wanted her own area to sun in and be able to splash around and whatnot. We'll call ours a wifey pool. I do want to be able to maintain it correctly and from what Im hearing on here seems I need a constant water supply in there, in addition to the waterfall, to keep chemical levels the same throughout instead of having to treat them as 2 separate pools

- - - Updated - - -

Thats the source of confusion, referring to them as drains, which generally means active suction lines.

A well place line between the vessels can serve as an equalizer, a passive “drain”

Got it. Man I got alot to learn

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.