Small Pool Build - Brisbane, Australia [emoji1037]

Whatever they give you or want to put in, just say "kids are swimming in 30 mins, so give it to me and i'll put it in later."

Let us know what it is! :)

I hope I'm good enough mates to say... hey, chill, nothing is far off. Your water is good :) Pool is fine :) Have a beer mate

Whatever they give you or want to put in, just say "kids are swimming in 30 mins, so give it to me and i'll put it in later."

Let us know what it is! :)

I hope I'm good enough mates to say... hey, chill, nothing is far off. Your water is good :) Pool is fine :) Have a beer mate

Thanks, I will keep that line handy! I don’t really want him adding a thing.

I know it’s not far off and all will be fine. I’m here after all [emoji4] Not long ago I was so nervous about taking care of my pool. Now the time can’t come soon enough.

So handover complete! The guy that came out was lovely. I learnt quite a bit and he had lots of little tricks to show me. He did ask if I would like them to come out monthly to clean filter, test water, fill acid etc. I said I was really excited to take care of it myself so he said they can come out 3 monthly or just on a one off basis if I need them to clean the cell or anything equipment related. He did remind me that my shell warranty is based on having regular pool store readings. He also works for spasa (the body governing pool builders if they’re members which ours is) and completed the handover form and listed the outstanding work to be done plus the chemical levels at handover.

Getting to the chemicals... he did his spin test thingy. It actually seemed pretty accurate.

FC - 0.7 yes it had dropped back to nothing since being at 4 yesterday.

TA - 148 my measurement was 150

CYA - 90 which I believe as I measured 70-80 yesterday but struggled going back and forth many times. He said I’ll just need to keep my FC higher.

PH - 8.1. the chlorinator had 7.7 when he first got here but when he went to look at it to calibrate it right after the water test it was reading 8.1.

He added 2 litres of straight acid. I’m to let him know if the auto dosing doesn’t keep up (although he said it usually will bring it down to .2 above the set point, so just make the set point a little lower if I like). Also added I think about 5 litres of the chlorine I bought yesterday. He did want to add some stabilised granular chlorine but said I’d prefer not to as I don’t want anymore cya in the pool which he was fine with. He did talk about chlorine lock at levels at over 120 but that at 90 it is manageable with higher FC levels and it will eventually drop with backwashing.

Feeling confident with all the equipment now. He showed me how to clean Jeff who is now showing off climbing the walls to the top of the waterline and up onto the bench! Clever boy! Went through backwashing and rinsing. I thought it was filthy but he said it was actually pretty clear. Once chlorine is up to a decent level it will just be a matter of working out the % to keep it stable. He said likely will need to be set at second or third bar.

Left me with a pack of books and a DVD for the kids on water safety which they will enjoy. Definitely if I need any help with equipment etc they will be who I contact. He had no problem with me taking care of it and said I will be fine. All in all a really great handover and I’m happy it’s all mine to look after!

Oh and Dirk - if you’re reading this... the guy handled the acid with his bare hands. No
No gloves. No mask. Squatting down right next to the container! I was about a metre or so away and got a waft and still feel like my throat is burning. Guess he won’t be buying your patented acid dosing contraptions!

e0c1cafd5809fc4d108bc7a78451c016.jpg

So all in all a good day then...:D

With regards to your outstanding work - is that work that needs to be completed by the PB or yourself?

the guy handled the acid with his bare hands. No
No gloves. No mask.

Wow - a bit game not using simple PPE especially with Hydrochloric acid. One small splash/drop in your eye can cause permanent/serious eye injury.

I always wear chemical gloves plus a full face shield mask when pouring that stuff out.

So all in all a good day then...:D

With regards to your outstanding work - is that work that needs to be completed by the PB or yourself?

Wow - a bit game not using simple PPE especially with Hydrochloric acid. One small splash/drop in your eye can cause permanent/serious eye injury.

I always wear chemical gloves plus a full face shield mask when pouring that stuff out.

Outstanding work is for pb. I actually just called the office and feel a lot better a bit this past week or so.

Yeah, he was game. Not smart really. He’s been looking after pools since he was 12 with his dads company. He’s middle age now so I guess he’s been doing it a while. I will be using protective gear. Possibly a hazmat suit!

When handling acid, use a method that works for you and minimizes risks, such as floating the container on the pool water and pouring an estimated amount, or doing your measuring down around waist level, and things like that.

Definitely protect your eyes against an errant drop of acid (or chlorine). Proper safety glasses are best, or at the least big sunnies. It's amazing how far a drop can fly. A drop of chlorinating liquid or hydrochloric acid in your eye can do a lot of damage.

Skin though is not such a big deal. Just rinse reasonably soon, i.e. don't run or jump in the pool. It takes a remarkably long time (several minutes or more) for 32% hydrochloric acid to leave a mark on skin. In landscaping/building, I've had it on my skin many times and never seen a mark. It will mark stone (or clothing) much faster. Point being, take your time, maintain control, put things down safely, then go rinse your skin.

The fumes are a good warning sign to stop what you're doing. You'll react very strongly to the fumes, which is excellent defense. The debate about using a respirator with acid cartridges comes up occasionally, but that would likely just defeat your best defense mechanism: smelling it and knowing there are fumes near you. The effect is acute without long term effects, and strong enough that you remove yourself from it right away.

You can virtually eliminate the fumes by watering it down to half strength, but you need to save a few empty jugs and it adds an extra step/complexity. If using this method, you'll be pouring twice as much when you're adding acid to the pool.

When handling acid, use a method that works for you and minimizes risks, such as floating the container on the pool water and pouring an estimated amount, or doing your measuring down around waist level, and things like that.

Definitely protect your eyes against an errant drop of acid (or chlorine). Proper safety glasses are best, or at the least big sunnies. It's amazing how far a drop can fly. A drop of chlorinating liquid or hydrochloric acid in your eye can do a lot of damage.

Skin though is not such a big deal. Just rinse reasonably soon, i.e. don't run or jump in the pool. It takes a remarkably long time (several minutes or more) for 32% hydrochloric acid to leave a mark on skin. In landscaping/building, I've had it on my skin many times and never seen a mark. It will mark stone (or clothing) much faster. Point being, take your time, maintain control, put things down safely, then go rinse your skin.

The fumes are a good warning sign to stop what you're doing. You'll react very strongly to the fumes, which is excellent defense. The debate about using a respirator with acid cartridges comes up occasionally, but that would likely just defeat your best defense mechanism: smelling it and knowing there are fumes near you. The effect is acute without long term effects, and strong enough that you remove yourself from it right away.

You can virtually eliminate the fumes by watering it down to half strength, but you need to save a few empty jugs and it adds an extra step/complexity. If using this method, you'll be pouring twice as much when you're adding acid to the pool.

Thanks. I will work out a way that suits best but eye protection a definite must. We have the acid dosing system which is diluted in a 20l container so won’t be handling it too often hopefully.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So glad it went well AND you learned somethings!! Nice!

LOL on Jeff being such a good helper! Good job Jeff!

Kim:kim:

Yes, learned quite a bit (minus acid handling lol). Showed me how to tip the huge 15 litre bottle of chlorine on its side so it pours nicely. To quickly clean Jeff’s filter if we remove him for swimming as if there’s plaster dust in there it can set to rock in the sun. How to ensure I don’t accidentally drain my pool if I get distracted during backwash.

I didn’t know Jeff was capable of such things as I’ve never seen him perform like that since day one. I guess he got a little blocked with dust immediately although there was only a few mm of plaster dust it was enough to slow him down.

Spoke to the pool company this afternoon since I have been getting frustrated with the lack of contact from my supervisor. I actually feel very validated now. Had a really lovely and open conversation. Not sure why I didn’t call the office earlier and have them get someone else call me? I guess I’ve been quite sleep deprived and a bit stressed. Anyway lesson learnt.

I see swimming in the near future. Going to turn the heat pump on tomorrow and whack on the cover. Will see if I can get it nice enough for the boys to swim on the weekend! Right now ph is climbing a little again after pool guy drop so may have to stay on top of manual dosing until it settles.

"How to ensure I don’t accidentally drain my pool if I get distracted during backwash." You NEED to share this one!!!! Me? I have a timer but am not always in the house with it so.............

The Astral EQ chlorinator we use has a 'Backwash' setting that the user can set for say 3 mins etc.

It will run the pump until that time elapses and then stop and power down the pump.

You can backwash via the backwash setting on the chlorinator like Costas said and set the timer. The way he recommended was to backwash using the filter handle position and placing the chlorinator in its regular manual on setting. When the water stops reaching the cell it will automatically turn itself off. The same for the rinse cycle. Going to backwash over the weekend to practice. I don’t think you have a swg though Kim.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.