Taking care of my pool

I had a questions,I have only been using Bleach & MA since I have found this site and I drained on 4/15/17. I did have to add Backing soda couple times to get the TA up. I am not sure why the CH & CY have raised raised, what could be causing this?

Test on 5/16
CH 400
CYA 30

Test on 5/29
CH 475 - tested this one 4xs
CYA 40 - this one drives me crazy -tested this one 3xs

I am not sure what is making it raise, could it be the baking soda?

Test from 5/29
PH 7.8
FC 5
CYA 40
TA 60
CH475

If you just added stabilizer before your 5/16 CYA test, then it might not have all been absorbed yet at the time. It was then shown on the next two tests. However, another likely reason is that the CYA test is fairly hard to read and could have been a false reading. A lot depends on the lighting at the time. I would assume that your CYA is 40, since it is the most consistent reading you have had. You are not adding CYA using baking soda.

Since you're in Las Vegas, having a little higher CYA could be a benefit since it can slow down daily FC consumption in your hot sunny climate. I had mine at 40 in Phoenix and was losing 4ppm of FC a day. I raised it to 50 and now down to 3ppm daily loss. If that increases, I will consider going up to 60. That is the highest I will go though.

If you just added stabilizer before your 5/16 CYA test, then it might not have all been absorbed yet at the time. It was then shown on the next two tests. However, another likely reason is that the CYA test is fairly hard to read and could have been a false reading. A lot depends on the lighting at the time. I would assume that your CYA is 40, since it is the most consistent reading you have had. You are not adding CYA using baking soda.

Since you're in Las Vegas, having a little higher CYA could be a benefit since it can slow down daily FC consumption in your hot sunny climate. I had mine at 40 in Phoenix and was losing 4ppm of FC a day. I raised it to 50 and now down to 3ppm daily loss. If that increases, I will consider going up to 60. That is the highest I will go though.

Hi Skippy,

I think I am doing something incorrect, I have been using MA and Bleach. I did have to you Baking soda, and I believe if the TA is at 60 I should add 23oz to bring it up to a 70. I am not sure why the CH went up, I am not using the tablets? :confused:

Hi Spin,

I have not added any stabilizer, I did add baking soda on 5/17 & 5/21 to adjust the TA. I think I need to add soda to bring up, I am a little worried if I do it will mess with the CH and CYA. I didn't thought the CYA should be at a 30. I may need to about 30%? I just drained in April. :(

TA doesn't really have a perfect range. If it's at 60, and you're not having weird pH swings, and your pH isn't steadily going down over time, you can leave it at 60.

As to the CH, it will go up over time. You're in Las Vegas with hard water, and calcium doesn't leave the pool when water evaporates, it concentrates. Unless it spiked very suddenly (which would likely tell me there's a testing error in there somewhere), you can expect this number to steadily rise.

Hi Trip, I hope my CH doesn't go up that much, I was hoping that taking care of the water the TFP way, and using the chlorine tablets my CH would stay down.

The PH is at 7.8 every day- I am always adding MA to try to get it down to a 7.4. I have to add MA every day. I wish it would stay a 7.4 or 7.5 for at least a day or 2. if I go on vacation this is a concerns me that when I return it will out the roof.... I have made a comment to our pool to completely take care of the TFP way, and it looks lovely. infact my friends with pools have asked what I am doing. Unfortunately, they say they do not have time for the TFP way. There loss.

I need to test my TA today, it was at a 60 on 5/30, is this reason it goes way high? Thanks for any answers I may get.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CH is a direct function of your fill water and evaporative rate - so long as you're not using cal-hypo solid chlorine.

It's a basic fact of life that we live in a region with very hard water, so you're going to see CH rise steadily year over year. I went from around 200ppm April, 2014 to 550 today. Some of that is from my aggressively descaling the pool (it had an eighth inch of scale on the tile and the Kreepy has been getting it up off of the plaster as well), but you can fully expect to see it rise very steadily.

Being careful about your CSI, you can avoid scaling, but it will get harder and harder as you get closer to 1000. I expect I'll drain next spring to bring it down.

I noticed your question in the thread 'What did you do to your pool today'. This thread is your best one for asking questions about running your pool. You asked if TA at 60 ppm is OK for plaster, and it probably is, but without the rest of the results, it's not possible to know. People helping others here at TFP find it easiest if you post it like this:

FC x.x
CC x.x
pH x.x
TA 60
CH xxx
CYA xx

For CH and CYA, a month old test is fine, TA is usually tested weekly, and pH and FC are tested every day or two.

Cheers

Your water looks fine with respect to your plaster.

In that hot Lost Wages sun, I'd be inclined to raise CYA up to around 60 ppm.

Is this a saltwater pool with electric salt water chlorinator? If so, it would be helpful to edit your signature from 'auto-chlorinator' to SWG.

Cheers and nice to meet you via TFP :) The advice you're getting from triptyx is right on, and you'll benefit from triptyx's experience with calcium and low humidity.

Hello Need,

I do not have a SWG, I though about getting it, but I have travertine tile as the coping and decking. I will try to raise the CYA, this why I am always adding bleach. Thanks!

I have just did a full reading of my pool water, The last time i did it was about 7 weeks ago.

PH 7.7 - I will check this after the TA goes up
FC 6 - Should I raise this to a higher number ?
TC 6.5
CH 950 - i won't be able to drain until next weekend - I am going to drain 70% of the water
TA 20 - I am going to add 106oz of baking soda to raise it to 65
CYA 25 - I am not sure what I need do with this one.

My CH just keeps going up, I have not used the pucks since I was told not to back in Feb. of 2107. I have only been using Bleach (liquid Chlorine) The water looks good to me, and I do have a little light scale around the spa, that seems to go away when I add the MA to the pool. Any help I can get would be great! The pool math is saying Potential to become corrosive to plaster ( not sure what this means)

I am not sure how you could have a TA of 20 with a pH of 7.7? Chemically really difficult. Also, TA dropping that low using the fill water you have in Las Vegas means there has been some very aggressive additions of muriatic acid.

You need to get your TA to 50.

CH going up 400 ppm in 4 months also is very suspect. Testing error is about the only thing. I do not think you could have had enough evaporation during that time to have that increase.

Why are you only planning to replace 75% of your water? Your fill water CH is at least 250, with a TA of 130 or so. You can drain more if you want.

Review these test directions -- Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

Thank you Mknauss,I did try to keep the PH at a 7.4 on a daily basis, could that be why. I just added what was need to get the PH to the 7.4 and I didn't test the TA. I will bring the TA up today, and I will retest again, or should I just drain it?

If your draining anyway, just do that. The high TA fill water will take care of things.

If you are pushing your pH low often with acid, it is consuming TA. Now, with our high TA fill water, normally you will find a balance. I seem to be able to balance at TA of 80 and add acid about every 5 days.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.