Taking care of my pool

I did have the FC at 2 on the app and it is a 2.5 on the pool math. The CSI on the app now says -0.09 and on the web pool math it says -0.06? I am still not sure what I am looking for on the CSI, I will read more about it. Thank you.

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. I tried not eat so much :D. I tested my water just now.

PH 8.5 (add 28oz of MA to get it to a 7.8)
TA is a 90 ( do nothing to this, I will retest after I add the MA for to get the PH up.
FC 3.5 ( need to add 6.1 oz Bleach to get up to a FC of 4
CH 325
CYA 20 ( need to add 14oz of conditioner) I am not sure why this has not gone up, or does it need to be checked a few more times due to the new water that was added 2 weeks ago.

Thank you for any help I can get.

With the water being cold and less sun on the pool I would suggest waiting to mess with your CYA. Just let it be, you added enough powder to get about 30 ppm in it, the test itself is at best +/-10 ppm, and you do not need higher CYA concentration until spring.

Put on your calendar to test CYA and add to get to 40 ppm on March 1, 2018. Things will be fine until then. Just keep your FC in range based on a CYA of 30 ppm.

Take care.

If you already started to add it it is OK to do it. I was just recommending that there is no reason to fine tune the CYA parameter in your pool at this time. But do not waste it, add it to the pool, it will not hurt.

Take care.

I️ wanted to confirm where can I️ throw out the conditioner I️ had in the sock ? I️ dumped in a bucket hoping it would dissolve , it has settled to the bottom of the bucket.

It is a mild acid but is not harmful. Probably the best is to drain off as much water as possible, then scoop it into a ziplock. From there it should be able to be put back in a sock to dissolve in the pool. Or toss the plastic bag in the trash.

Sorry if I messed up earlier -- I had no idea you had already started adding the CYA when you posted your test results.

Just do not put the granules in the pool. It can bleach out your plaster. If a small amount needs to be washed out of the bucket just swirl it with water and pour it into the skimmer with the pump running. It will get caught in the filter and dissolve over time.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello mknauss,

My CYA is at 19 (this test is always gets me). I went to the pool store to find out what they said about the CYA , they said it was at a 15. I have added 9oz of conditioner to try to bump up the CYA closer to a 30, as we get close summer, as you advised. My water has been crystal clear due to TPF! :

:kim:

Hello mknauss,

My CYA is at 19 (this test is always gets me). I went to the pool store to find out what they said about the CYA , they said it was at a 15. I have added 9oz of conditioner to try to bump up the CYA closer to a 30, as we get close summer, as you advised. My water has been crystal clear due to TPF! :

Odd how a pool store can come up with numbers like that. Our testing results come out only like 10,20,30,40,50... if the sample impedes the dot a little over the 30 result (for example) you consider that 40.

Maddie :flower:

Hi Everyone, I have opened our pool, cleaned the filters last weekend. I did a full test last night, and this is what I came up with.

FC 2- added 38oz of bleach last night to bring it up to a 5
PH 8.0- added 19oz of MA last night to drop it to a 7.5
TA- 60- going to test this today, since I lowered the PH last night. I will bring this up to a 70.CYA 24- added 8oz of Conditioner last night -This one confuses me every time, I tested it 2x and it could also be a 22...:hammer:
CH 600- Would prefer to have this at a 350 -420 always, wishful thinking.

I drained to the pool last Oct. because the CH was high. I kept up with the following testing testing over the winterFC, PH and TA. I can't seem to keep the CH down, not sure if its due to the water being so hard in Vegas. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong with the chemicals, to make the CH rise? I thought if it keeps rising like this I will need to drain once a year. I was wondering do you need to drain every year?? :confused: I really don't want do a partial drain of the water at this time, due to the heat. I thought I could deal with the CH rising until it cools down again Oct., or schedule the drains around Jan., before summer begins next year. The water will probably be at a 1200 or a 1500 by Jan. Ugh, this darn water in Vegas.

Thank you for any insight on the helping with the CH.

Some people use drains to capture rain water to add to the pool. Some use a water softener to put the high CH water through. Both ideas take some time.

Are you using any tablets at all? If so let me know what kind.

Kim:kim:

Some people use drains to capture rain water to add to the pool. Some use a water softener to put the high CH water through. Both ideas take some time.

By "some people" she means me! I've experimented with both. I actually lowered my CH a few months ago, and am using my high-CH, non-softened water to bring it back up a bit. I can offer more info about my adventures if you like. Or I can point you to my threads, where I documented everything I did...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.