Based off your response, it seems 4x a day is ideal to test / make additions made during SLAM?

On workdays I’m gone for 12 hours. I could test right after work and then again before bed, but that is only about a 2 hour time difference. Would that be helpful or not long enough in between tests? Someone will be around for a day or too but not for several days this week.

Ok. For the next couple days I can test very frequently.

Pool is draining significantly faster than refill though. Based off the article, the idea is to keep it pretty level during the drain. Last time it took a day to fill back up. I’ve got two garden hoses in it now.

Looks like I’m draining about 42 g/m with the pump. Should I put a garden hose on the pump to drop that drain speed? I’m currently using my backwash hose which is much larger. Calculating at 6-9 g/m for garden hose means at least 10 hours of draining but an equal replenish rate.

Did you read Draining? - Further Reading

The exchange process balances in and out. If your situation allows for a lower water level, then pumping out faster than adding is ok, but I bet you are getting significant mixingthat will make the process inefficient.

I did read the draining link you provided. The safest way being exchanging rather than just draining. Draining from deep end and filling into shallow.

It sounds like I’m still not getting something though. Should I stop the fill and just drain? So I don’t get that mixing?

Ok. As long as that is happening you are good. It sounded like your water level was way down.

Drain and fill completed. And thankfully, CYA is much lower. Now I’m below the scale, maybe at 15 (can barely see the dot at the top of the tube)May have gotten a little aggressive on the drain, but at least I don’t have to do it again.

Starting SLAM process using the chart. Question, CYA being out of range, should I toss a few pucks in there to pull it up a little? I have pucks on hand, and someone on the thread mentioned that each adds 3ppm CYA.
I ask because I saw another thread stating to use dichlor in a hot tub to get the CYA to range then use bleach.

Other levels:

pH - 7.6
TA - 175
CH - 125

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.