Yikes-Be Careful

Snakes.. why does it always have to be snakes....
Indianajones GIF by CBS

My irrigation repair guy always knocks on the lids of in-ground boxes before opening them and listens for a rattle. Now I do the same. Unlike him, I learned this the easy way.

Reactions: borjis
The other day I was lamenting that when I check my skimmer there always seems to be a spider or two. I don’t understand how they can be underwater and still alive. Anyway, now that I see what some of you are dealing with, I’ll not complain anymore. In MI, it rare to see anything other than a garter snake. I’m really thankful for that.

It could be a racer, but they aren’t supposed to get this long. That’s why I though this was a black snake that hadn’t eaten in a while. The really big guys we get around here are king snakes. One time I was cutting my grass on a really hot day and decided to take a quick break from the heat. So I parked my riding lawnmower in the shade of a tree. No sooner had I done that when I heard something that sounded like a branch falling out of the tree. It turned out to be a 6 or 7 ft long king snake and it landed right on my head and bounced right into my lap. We both freaked out!

The white under the head, and likely under part of the body, would indicate it’s a Black Rat snake. They are harmless and actually tame easily. It’s not unusual for Black Rat snakes to reach 6-7ft long.

Black Racers are generally smaller and lack the white under the head/body.

CORRECTION: Black Racers can have white under chin/head. (Sorry for the misinformation…memory isn’t what it use to be ☺️).

Last edited:
The white under the head, and likely under part of the body, would indicate it’s a Black Rat snake. They are harmless and actually tame easily. It’s not unusual for Black Rat snakes to reach 6-7ft long.

Yes and also we don’t really see many black racers around here.

It could be a racer, but they aren’t supposed to get this long. That’s why I though this was a black snake that hadn’t eaten in a while. The really big guys we get around here are king snakes. One time I was cutting my grass on a really hot day and decided to take a quick break from the heat. So I parked my riding lawnmower in the shade of a tree. No sooner had I done that when I heard something that sounded like a branch falling out of the tree. It turned out to be a 6 or 7 ft long king snake and it landed right on my head and bounced right into my lap. We both freaked out!
Oh my goodness!! I would have died ⚰️

Reactions: Orion7319
Oh my goodness!! I would have died ⚰️
Not nearly as bad as an experience I had when a dirt dauber decided to build her nest inside of the spring of my hammock chair once. They love to feed their larvae black widows, and they don’t kill them, they paralyze them and entomb them in the nests with their eggs. That was a fun experience! Jumped immediately in the shower, kept checking myself over and over and over again! Yeah that’s a thing!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Oops, I stand corrected (memory isn’t what it use to be!) Black racers can have white under the chin/head.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orion7319
I think I’d fill that valve housing up with something that would prevent the critters from making a home. If you took a mesh bag and filled it with marbles it would fill up the space and still be easy to access the valve. The other thought I had is similar to how they package electronics. Take plastic wrap and wrap the inside of the valve housing and then fill it with that expanding foam. In the end, you’d have a form fitted “plug” to fill up the space that could be removed as needed.

Luckily around me it’s mostly garter snakes, I almost went over a decent sized one in the grass with my wheel barrow yesterday. They don’t bother me but my wife is not a fan. The only venomous snake we have in these parts is the copperhead but knock on wood they are pretty rare and I’ve ever seen one in person.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.