Yikes-Be Careful

Cold day this spring I noticed something on the living rm floor - it was a garter snake. Most likely came in where we had a piece of weather strip missing on the storm door. I slowly picked it up and took it to show my wife. My ears were ringing from the scream :) and the dogs came running to see what was up.

But I don't believe I would pick up that guy!

This guy greeted my wife just the other day. This has to be the longest black snake ever
Looks like a black racer. I met one once and when threatened they vibrate their tail so fast that it mimics a rattle snake. I leaned that long after the fact, once I changed my pants. Evolution sure fooled me at the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was mowing the backyard yesterday, ran over something, then saw what looked like a small dog bone, then it started wiggling. Ran over a BIG garter snake!
I felt bad but left it there and ended up being a blue Jay's dinner.

• Wow
Reactions: allidb85
Looks like a black racer. I met one once and when threatened they vibrate their tail so fast that it mimics a rattle snake. I leaned that long after the fact, once I changed my pants. Evolution sure fooled me at the time.
It could be a racer, but they aren’t supposed to get this long. That’s why I though this was a black snake that hadn’t eaten in a while. The really big guys we get around here are king snakes. One time I was cutting my grass on a really hot day and decided to take a quick break from the heat. So I parked my riding lawnmower in the shade of a tree. No sooner had I done that when I heard something that sounded like a branch falling out of the tree. It turned out to be a 6 or 7 ft long king snake and it landed right on my head and bounced right into my lap. We both freaked out!

It could be a racer, but they aren’t supposed to get this long.
The one I met was 4 ft and I saw all but it’s head. The tail was flailing around and I thought it was a compressor hose (albeit a fat one) at first blowing out the other end. Then he pulled his head out to look at me and i instantly regretted my curiosity. It wasn’t a blowing hose it was a rattle. (Or so it seemed at the time).

The white underneath it’s face matches the Google pics but a lot of others could have it too. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Orion7319
The one I met was 4 ft and I saw all but it’s head. The tail was flailing around and I thought it was a compressor hose (albeit a fat one) at first blowing out the other end. Then he pulled his head out to look at me and i instantly regretted my curiosity. It wasn’t a blowing hose it was a rattle. (Or so it seemed at the time).

The white underneath it’s face matches the Google pics but a lot of others could have it too. 🤷‍♂️
The racers are more aggressive. The black rat snakes are pretty calm. The king snake is completely black and also very calm. I do get a lot of snakes in my yard, but one of my neighbors is a biologist and she has no issues getting rid of and relocating copperheads for all the neighbors.

Reactions: Newdude
Like the difference between food intoxication and food infection -- there's really is no such thing as food poisoning. Food intoxication is when food toxins make you sick, and it happens in 12 to 48 hrs; food infection is when the bacteria themselves make you sick, and takes at least 72 hrs.

That's a fat little guy -- have you got a field nearby, or you might have a mousie problem getting started!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.