Worst thing ever in your pool?

this year have had 3 dead mice so far. 3 weeks ago I come home from work and look out to the pool and see bubbles flying out of the return. Concerned that my water level was to low I raced outside to kill the filter, but found a bushy tail hanging out of the skimmer. My heart sank thinking it was a cat, but it ended up being a squirrel who must have fell into the pool and got his head wedged under the weir cover... poor guy drowned... scooped him out and he was stiff as a board and tossed him into our green waste recycling containeR

I keep finding these spiders that seem to live in the skimmer basket whenever I empty it out, he hops around and seems to somehow live in the water even with the downward pressure...just weird

Two live cats. We had just taken the winter cover off the night before and water level was still down 6 inches below skimmer. Next morning I heard these terrible screams. Here our barn cat and a stray cat were in the pool. Our cat was hanging on to the solar cover. Stray cat was hanging on the skimmer. It was out of the water and dry. When I took the skimmer cover off it flew out and we never saw it again. Our cat nearly died since it was in the very cold water. We were very lucky that they didn't cause any damage to the liner trying to get out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I forgot this one. Our pool was built in Sept. of 2008. We never got to use it that year. In the Spring of of 2009, before we got our safety cover and before we opened the pool for the season, we had a tarp and netting on the pool. Naturally, it was filled with filty dirty water and lots of debris. YUCK! One morning I looked out the window and there were 2 ducks in the pool. Male and Female mallards. My house overlooks the Ohio River and I figured they just undershot the runway. They were there only a couple of hours.

Pointyhead said:
WestSidePool said:
First year I owned the pool, the day before I closed it for the winter, had a deer in there :grrrr: . Tore the liner, solar cover, etc. Had to drain and replace the liner.

One, did you shoot it?

Two, did your insurance cover it?

No, sucker was saved by the solar cover and escaped.
Yes insurance did cover it. Took pictures for them of the fur. Torn up liner, torn up cover, etc.

Mellott98 said:
I forgot this one. Our pool was built in Sept. of 2008. We never got to use it that year. In the Spring of of 2009, before we got our safety cover and before we opened the pool for the season, we had a tarp and netting on the pool. Naturally, it was filled with filty dirty water and lots of debris. YUCK! One morning I looked out the window and there were 2 ducks in the pool. Male and Female mallards. My house overlooks the Ohio River and I figured they just undershot the runway. They were there only a couple of hours.

I had ducks for a month this spring, it made for a very nasty pool. We later saw the ducklings running around our court. The neighbors rounded them up and they are still waddling round their back yard. I have a feeling they are going to be dinner.

camper-crash-pool.jpg

(NECN: Eileen Curran) - We do the occasional story about a car that might end up in a pool but rarely do you see something like this.

An RV wound up in a pool in Brockton, Mass. It was the end of a wild ride, but, once the camper came to rest, the rescue effort was just beginning.

“He went the whole length of his driveway, the whole length of his backyard, right through a tree, right through a fence and landed in the pool,” said Larry Lambert, 58, of Brockton.

Lambert is still shaking after watching a man drive his RV camper into a neighbor’s pool. Lambert was driving by on North Quincy Street in Brockton Wednesday morning, when he saw the RV go into the pool.

He called 911 and ran to help the driver.

He and the pool owner, Norman Little, rescued the man.

“I was surprised to find him in water, I thought he’d be in the camper and we’d never get him out,” said Lambert. “He was free in the water. We just had to grab him and drag him out.”

“He said his accelerator got stuck, then he said his shoe got caught in it,” Lambert said.

Police say the driver had a medical issue which led to the crash. The man was taken to the hospital, but is expected to be ok.

Emergency crews were then faced with the problem of a 28-foot RV in a 36-foot pool.

First, they had to drain the camper’s fuel and remove its propane gas tanks.

“There’s fuel leaking that could create a spark, there’s gas in the camper, propane gas,” said Brockton Police Captain Leon McCabe.

Then, they started draining the pool.

Lynch’s Towing brought a battery of trucks, including two huge vehicles, one with a crane on it to lift out the camper.

One of the tow guys had to go into the pool to put the chains and straps around the underside of the RV.

It was a painstaking process of removing the camper.

“It’s just a slow process,” said Sean Bastis of Lynch’s Towing. “We have to lift it a little, let the water drain out of the coach, lift it a little more, let it drain more.”

Four hours later, the camper was hauled away. The pool suffered damage, but luckily no one was in it when the camper crashed through the fence.

As for Larry Lambert, he lost a day at work, but has an exciting story to tell. Even better:

“I didn’t even get wet,” he said. “We were able to reach him from the edge of the pool.”

Tonight the girls were in the pool. They start yelling for me, "DAD! There's something in the pool! Some kind of weird bug or something!" They are scrambling for the ladder. The filter is on and rippling the water. For sure I can see something out on the bottom in the middle of the pool. The hand skimmer is ripped up so I can't use it to scoop. I get the crappy Intex vacuum head and tell them to push it over towards the side. They won't do it. If it is anything, it is dead.

The oldest finally gets brave and gets back in and with the vacuum pole extended, pushes whatever is sitting right in the middle. As she pushes it towards the side, the younger one gets brave and gets in. They are getting closer to it as they are pushing it along. I get the bright idea to turn the pump off so the water isn't rippling. My youngest daughter is trying to get closer to look down through the water to see it. As the ripples subside from the surface of the water, my 8 year old....

"Oh My Word Lauren! Its your freakin hair tie!!!!"

Crisis diverted! Lauren dove down and eradicated the man eating hair tie from the pool!

:hammer:

Thus far, have to say, since everything else has just been the average japanese beetles in the skimmer, the man eating hair tie has been the worst thing ever in our pool, LOL.

Had a skunk die in the pool many years ago, after letting off his scent in the water. He had broken through a thin layer of ice. I got the pump running for the season a few days later, and ran it 24/7 for about a month, upping the baking soda on the theory that it might absorb some of the odor. The smell was mostly gone by swimming season, but you could still smell it after a rain! No sign of it by the next spring. Had another skunk in the pool since, but, from the look of him, he had been in a fight with another creature, and did not let off his scent. I just netted him out, and shocked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.